(2-in-1) laptop recommendations?

Hello,

TL;DR: My old laptop recently broke and I'm considering getting a replacement for it, and I want to ask for any recommendations.

32 or 24 GB ram

i7/equivalent CPU
~13 inch display

(sorry if this question type isn't appreciated/accepted in the forums, and sorry for the long read)

I want to ask for recommendations for a new laptop.

So my old laptop recently broke enough for it to get sent to the repair shop (not turning on after a week of trying), and they fixed a chip but then said the CPU was broken. It charges consistently now but doesn't turn on so I guess I have to get a new laptop.

I typically use my laptop for school, which means a nice keyboard would be neat, and I don't do anything too intensive on it too often. Typical heavy load would be running (python and C++) programs or running multiple displays, and at times I would do 3D modelling (Blender) and maybe rendering on it. I only play light games on it, though not very often.

I would prefer an intel i7 or AMD equivalent, and 32GB or 24GB of RAM as I tend to have too many tabs open.

Ideally I would want something more along the lines of a ~13 inch thin and light as I do have to carry it around with my everyday.

I don't want an Apple system due to ideology differences (R2R) and personal preferences.

For some unfound reason I really want to get a 2-in-1 system, though I'm still not sure whether I should due to the price increase.

My budget would be preferred ~$1500 USD, at most ~$2000.

I also really like dedicated mouse buttons below/above the trackpad and the nub mouse thing on the keyboard, but they aren't necessary.

I did a bit of searching and I found a few systems that somewhat matches 

ASUS ROG Flow X13

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga gen 8

Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Yoga gen 4

Also, is there any possibility of getting my laptop fixed by sending it to a different repair shop to have them check the problem out? It is a Lenovo Thinkpad X13 yoga gen 2 and a weird power problem started occurring 1 year after purchase (is this a documented problem?). 2 years after purchase the problem got bad enough I couldn't turn it on after a week of trying to, and it got sent to the repair shop. They replaced a chip on the main board but then said the CPU is broken. I have it back now and it can charge (charge indicator is on when charging and power LED flashes when plugging it in), but I can't power it on. It there anyway to fix this so I don't have to get a new laptop?

Thanks for any and all help,

:]

7 minutes ago, noob1957 said:

Hello,

TL;DR: My old laptop recently broke and I'm considering getting a replacement for it, and I want to ask for any recommendations.

32 or 24 GB ram

i7/equivalent CPU
~13 inch display

(sorry if this question type isn't appreciated/accepted in the forums, and sorry for the long read)

I want to ask for recommendations for a new laptop.

So my old laptop recently broke enough for it to get sent to the repair shop (not turning on after a week of trying), and they fixed a chip but then said the CPU was broken. It charges consistently now but doesn't turn on so I guess I have to get a new laptop.

I typically use my laptop for school, which means a nice keyboard would be neat, and I don't do anything too intensive on it too often. Typical heavy load would be running (python and C++) programs or running multiple displays, and at times I would do 3D modelling (Blender) and maybe rendering on it. I only play light games on it, though not very often.

I would prefer an intel i7 or AMD equivalent, and 32GB or 24GB of RAM as I tend to have too many tabs open.

Ideally I would want something more along the lines of a ~13 inch thin and light as I do have to carry it around with my everyday.

I don't want an Apple system due to ideology differences (R2R) and personal preferences.

For some unfound reason I really want to get a 2-in-1 system, though I'm still not sure whether I should due to the price increase.

My budget would be preferred ~$1500 USD, at most ~$2000.

I also really like dedicated mouse buttons below/above the trackpad and the nub mouse thing on the keyboard, but they aren't necessary.

I did a bit of searching and I found a few systems that somewhat matches 

ASUS ROG Flow X13

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga gen 8

Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Yoga gen 4

Also, is there any possibility of getting my laptop fixed by sending it to a different repair shop to have them check the problem out? It is a Lenovo Thinkpad X13 yoga gen 2 and a weird power problem started occurring 1 year after purchase (is this a documented problem?). 2 years after purchase the problem got bad enough I couldn't turn it on after a week of trying to, and it got sent to the repair shop. They replaced a chip on the main board but then said the CPU is broken. I have it back now and it can charge (charge indicator is on when charging and power LED flashes when plugging it in), but I can't power it on. It there anyway to fix this so I don't have to get a new laptop?

Thanks for any and all help,

:]

2 in 1 laptops are great, they pretty much cannibalized the Windows tablet market since it is a reasonable compromise between the two. Overall, it depends on what you prioritize between those few options. Asus' X13 is great if you need performance, the latter being better designed for battery life.

Regarding your old laptop, that's unfortunate, but usually as soon as the issue is motherboard related, its not worth it. At that point, you'd likely be putting in close to the cost of a new machine in repairs, which aren't worth it given the generational increase in performance.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

I've properly bathed a Yoga 7 2 in 1 a couple weeks ago and it's toast.
I now have got the Lenovo X1 Gen 8.
I took the OLED Screen, since it was the only screen with a resolution larger than FHD. Although that made it a fair bit more expensive.
I use it for university notes and some work and that was a requirement for me. (At least 1440p).
What bothers me a bit about the X1 Gen 8 is, that it only has one of the USB C Ports as a charge port. (Minor issue)
And the Fingerprintreader isn't the greatest in the world.

I've been on the window tablet game since XP. The primary issue with 2-in-1s at this point is honestly the hinge. ThinkPads, ime, tend to be the most repairable when the hinge inevitably goes in 4-5 years. That said, just tbh, unless you already use a heavy tablet and know you will continue to, I wouldnt get a 2-in-1. 

As for reqs in your price range outside of the obvious ones (yogabook and xps 13), ThinkPads do get my req but won't be the biggest bang for the buck. The galaxy books are similar and i dont have experience with how they hold up tbh. I'd almost recomend getting a surface studio after slme of the mega crazy discounts i saw on them over black Friday tbh. Just as a side note, if you plan to ever use the computer on your actual lap I would avoid slates such as the surface and lenovo options as they realy are just way less ergonomic than a normal laptop for that use case. 

ASUS might be flashy and all singing etc

but the Lenovo might last you a little longer and be more repairable?