What should i upgrade

Benjamin_f

Budget (including currency): hmm probably 5-600 usd

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Rust, Gta V, Battlefield 5

Other details Current setup: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/c7Czh3

Hi, im wondering if this upgrade is good, or if anyone have some inputs 🙂

My current setup is pretty old, so im looking to upgrade Cpu, motherboard and ram. I have looked at the i5-13400, and thinking about 32 gb ram, but im not sure if i should go for the i5-13600k, but where i live, the price difference is about 75$. The motherboard i have not decided upon yet.

Im open to ideas, if you think theres something else i should upgrade, or if you have a better choice of cpu or so 🙂

9 minutes ago, Benjamin_f said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Rust, Gta V, Battlefield 5

My current setup is pretty old, so im looking to upgrade Cpu, motherboard and ram. I have looked at the i5-13400, and thinking about 32 gb ram, but im not sure if i should go for the i5-13600k, but where i live, the price difference is about 75$. The motherboard i have not decided upon yet.

Im open to ideas, if you think theres something else i should upgrade, or if you have a better choice of cpu or so 🙂

Upgrade the CPU and motherboard. I got an i7 4770 for 35 dollars, got a compatable motherboard for 25 dollars, and total for me the cost was around 60 US dollars and it's one hell of a system for that price it was doing similarily to my 5600x in terms of games like rainbow six siege and CSGO with a 2070super

23 minutes ago, robotxbot said:

Upgrade the CPU and motherboard. I got an i7 4770 for 35 dollars, got a compatable motherboard for 25 dollars, and total for me the cost was around 60 US dollars and it's one hell of a system for that price it was doing similarily to my 5600x in terms of games like rainbow six siege and CSGO with a 2070super

Thanks so much for the idea, i will definitely consider it, especially because of the significantly lower price.

But on the other hand, upgrading to a newer cpu, would be beneficial in the long run.

51 minutes ago, Benjamin_f said:

Ryzen 7500F or 7600

32GB DDR5

B650 motherboard

2TB SSD

It should fit the budget.

And remove the HDD.

M.S.C.E. (M.Sc. Computer Engineering), Senior IT advisor in a hospital, 30 years of gaming, 20 years of computer enthusiasm, Geek, Trekkie, anime fan

• Main PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - EK AIO 360 D-RGB - Arctic Cooling MX-4 - Asus Prime X570-P - 4x8GB DDR4 3200 HyperX Fury CL16 - Sapphire AMD Radeon 6950XT Nitro+ - 1TB Kingston Fury Renegade - 2TB Kingston Fury Renegade - 512GB ADATA SU800 - 960GB Kingston A400 - Seasonic PX-850 850W  - custom black ATX and EPS cables - Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout - Windows 11 x64 23H2 - 3 Arctic Cooling P14 PWM PST - 5 Arctic Cooling P12 PWM PST
  • Peripherals: LG 32GK650F - Philips 226VL - Logitech G Pro X Superlight with Tiger Ice - HyperX Alloy Origins Core (TKL) - EndGame Gear MPC890 - Genius HF 1250B - Akliam PD4 - Sennheiser HD 560s - Simgot EM6L - Truthear Zero - QKZ x HBB - 7Hz Salnotes Zero - Logitech C270 - Behringer PS400 - BM700  - Colormunki Smile - Speedlink Torid - Jysk Stenderup - LG 24x External DVD writer - Konig smart card reader
  • Laptop: Acer E5–575G-386R 15.6" 1080p (i3 6100U + 12GB DDR4 (4GB+8GB) + GeForce 940MX + 256GB nVME) Win 10 Pro x64 22H2 - Logitech G305 + AAA Lithium battery
  • Networking: Asus TUF Gaming AX6000 - Arcadyan ISP router - 35/7 Mbps vDSL
  • TV and gadgets: TCL 50EP680 50" 4K LED + Sharp HT-SB100 75W RMS soundbar - Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 10.1" - OnePlus 9 256GB - Olymous Cameda C-160 - GameBoy Color 
  • Streaming/Server/Storage PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - LC-Power LC-CC-120 - MSI B450 Tomahawk Max - 2x4GB ADATA 2666 DDR4 - 120GB Kingston V300 - Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB - Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB - 2x WD Green 2TB - Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon R9 380X - 550W EVGA G3 SuperNova - Chieftec Giga DF-01B - Logitech G710+ - Roccat Kone Pure Military Desert strike - Logitech S-220

2 hours ago, Benjamin_f said:

I love how much you carried forward your build and upgrade parts as you went for value.
I recognize you never upgraded your CPU because Ivy Bridge was no more than 5% better. Which is why I think you are looking at intel again. 

AM5 will have more upgrade paths
As of now, zen 5, 5c and 5x3d are all known future chips that will be on am5. 
there is a like a 50% chance of zen 6 as well but this is unconfirmed and should not be relied upon information

Zen5 looks to be be 10-15% better for IPC, x3d will be massive ontop of that (seen zen 4 -> zen 4x3d for games)

Zen6 looks only to have IPC gains of just under 10%, but the focus will be Core count improvements, and latency improvements (Think like x3d actually does 0 improvements for instructions per clock, its latency as in you do not have to wait for ram as often as cache misses are minimized)

I would look at AM5, and the 7600 for now, but by doing this you can have your CPU be treated the same way you treat your ram, storage and GPU
(I went with b650E chipset because of your tendency to upgrade as you go. PCIe 5 doesn't mean much today. but in 7 years it will as new GPUS will be using PCIe 7.

If you know where to get better deals in denmark (like microcenter here where you can get free ram with your mobo) look into those obviously. 

image.thumb.png.c1d3898fd538b15cd05175928d7b6f3e.png

1 hour ago, robotxbot said:

Those are some dubious ass claims
image.png.5e5eed985a68aacf706770f7d7a130c8.png
Im not saying its not an option to consider, just dont oversell it. 

2 minutes ago, starsmine said:

I love how much you carried forward your build and upgrade parts as you went for value.
I recognize you never upgraded your CPU because Ivy Bridge was no more than 5% better. Which is why I think you are looking at intel again. 

there is a like a 50% chance of zen 6 as well but this is unconfirmed and should not be relied upon information

Zen5 looks to be be 10-15% better for IPC, x3d will be massive ontop of that (seen zen 4 -> zen 4x3d for games)

Zen6 looks only to have IPC gains of just under 10%, but the focus will be Core count improvements, and latency improvements (Think like x3d actually does 0 improvements for instructions per clock, its latency as in you do not have to wait for ram as often as cache misses are minimized)

I would look at AM5, and the 7600 for now, but by doing this you can have your CPU be treated the same way you treat your ram, storage and GPU
(I went with b650E chipset because of your tendency to upgrade as you go. PCIe 5 doesn't mean much today. but in 7 years it will as new GPUS will be using PCIe 7.

If you know where to get better deals in denmark (like microcenter here where you can get free ram with your mobo) look into those obviously. 

ebay?

6 minutes ago, robotxbot said:

ebay?

not the pricing, the "almost matching" a 5600x in HEAVY CPU bound games.

image.thumb.png.09c3b173d93e66e953e9d2d60f1f22e9.png

image.thumb.png.772afe66c1101797a4c9a036a81a246e.png

and the 10400 is WAY faster then a 4770

1 hour ago, 191x7 said:

Ryzen 7500F or 7600

32GB DDR5

B650 motherboard

2TB SSD

It should fit the budget.

And remove the HDD.

I was a bit hesitant to switch i amd, but after looking at both value for money, thank you for taking you time to help 🙂

17 minutes ago, starsmine said:

image.png.5e5eed985a68aacf706770f7d7a130c8.png
Im not saying its not an option to consider, just dont oversell it. 

Firstly I want to thank you so much for taking your time, i really appreciate it.

Im probably gonna go with the 7600, as it has been suggested multiple times, and just overall seams to be the better choice. Im just a bit uncertain if i need a B650E, since i recently having been gaming as much, but on the other hand, it would be nice having the ability to upgrade further down the road, if i were to start gaming some more in the future :)

17 minutes ago, starsmine said:

not the pricing, the "almost matching" a 5600x in HEAVY CPU bound games.

image.thumb.png.09c3b173d93e66e953e9d2d60f1f22e9.png

image.thumb.png.772afe66c1101797a4c9a036a81a246e.png

and the 10400 is WAY faster then a 4770

ryzen 5600x was getting 220 fps average on a combination settings of mediums and lows and highs, and 4770 was getting 200 in r6s, it was averaging basically the same frame rate, and the only difference was that it wasnt as smooth at the 5600x and it was stuttery. as for csgo i locked my fps to 240 so it was essentially same frame rate for me

6 minutes ago, Benjamin_f said:

Firstly I want to thank you so much for taking your time, i really appreciate it.

Im probably gonna go with the 7600, as it has been suggested multiple times, and just overall seams to be the better choice. Im just a bit uncertain if i need a B650E, since i recently having been gaming as much, but on the other hand, it would be nice having the ability to upgrade further down the road, if i were to start gaming some more in the future :)

if your looking for new parts, then yea probably 7600 is a no brainer, although ddr4 is not supported on 7600 and their mobos tend to be more expensive then intels counter part, i would say for used parts to get a 12600k, get a decent motherboard that supports ddr4, and you'd save a pretty buck compared to the 7600, but the only downside to this route would be that the chipset would be discontinued real soon and as for amd you'd get support atleast until 2025

13 hours ago, robotxbot said:

if your looking for new parts, then yea probably 7600 is a no brainer, although ddr4 is not supported on 7600 and their mobos tend to be more expensive then intels counter part, i would say for used parts to get a 12600k, get a decent motherboard that supports ddr4, and you'd save a pretty buck compared to the 7600, but the only downside to this route would be that the chipset would be discontinued real soon and as for amd you'd get support atleast until 2025

I will probably go with new parts, since the market for used parts in my are is kinda dull. And as you said, I will atleast have support until 2025, which is nice. Im just curious as to if I should by the 7600 or 7600x, because the x seems to use a lot more power, and also tend to run way hotter.

I am researching motherboards, and have found that both the ASRock B650 PG lightning ATX and the B650M micro-ATX, they seem very similar, but Im not sure if i have overlooked anything, but the only differences are the M.2 ports and some usb's, but nothing I wouldn't be able to live without. And Im really considering it micro-ATX because its 30% cheaper. But i might have overlooked some disadvantages.

7 hours ago, Benjamin_f said:

I will probably go with new parts, since the market for used parts in my are is kinda dull. And as you said, I will atleast have support until 2025, which is nice. Im just curious as to if I should by the 7600 or 7600x, because the x seems to use a lot more power, and also tend to run way hotter.

both are unlocked for overclocking

7600x is just a better-binned chip. 
a 7600 in ecomode = 7600. 

a 7600 running PBO2 will on average do 100mhz less then the 7600x running PBO2 (average not actually known)

If prices are the same get the x, the 7600 comes with a cooler but it cant cool past the stock 7600 wattages to match a stock 7600x with its wattage advantage. the 7600x will need a cooler, be that getting a new mount for your old one, or buying a new one altogether.