Microphone sound is very quiet

iMDarker

For a few weeks i've been having a problem with my headphones microphone; when i use it on my desktop pc the sound is incredibly low even after i've turned it up to max on the settings but if i connect it to my laptop the sound is completetly normal and it sounds fine. I thought it was a driver problem so i tried using old drivers and reinstalling drivers but nothing has fixed it. Anyone know a fix? Both pc are running on the same version on Windows 11. The headphone in question is the Logitech g pro x.

Well, there's probably no "fix" - the issue is probably power related. However, you may be able to work around it by running EQ APO for your mic and adding mic boost above Window's max. There's two possible outcomes of this:

1) It sounds normal as if you boost it by 20-30+ dB. If this is the case then the problem is something software related on your machine (probably, everything here is a probably). Boost it where you need and never think of it again.

2) It adds a bunch of white noise (static hiss). This is the more likely outcome. It means that your machine is operating "normally" but isn't providing enough power to the mic. If this is the case there are two solutions. If the hiss isn't terrible you can probably use something like RNNoise or Nvidia Broadcast or other real time noise reduction software to remove the hiss and move on with your life. This solution is free, but severe hiss may degrade your mic quality.

Option 2 is to buy a USB Sound Card, which will probably solve the issue and is relatively cheap (about 10-15 USD). 

You can google tutorials on EQ APO and/or RNNoise, but here's a link to the one I wrote for Antlion. Just note that the mic boost (mic gain) is at the end and this is focused on RNNoise install, which is the very slightly more complicated part.

https://antlionaudio.com/blogs/news/free-active-noise-suppression-without-rtx-voice

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!

You plugged it into a line in? (Some drivers can make audio devices do that)

with gain comes noise.