external portable SSD vs nvme + external enclosure

Street_Flounder

Running out of space with all the different projects and whatnot for work, so looking to get something external for the time being, but can't make up my decision between the two especially since they are around the same pricepoint.

SanDisk 4TB Extreme Pro ~2000MB/s

WD 4TB SN850X + external enclosure ~1000MB/s

I would probably only disconnect it once or twice a month when I need to take it during a trip/work etc so it'd stay connected most of the time.

The SanDisk offers faster speeds (since my PC suports 2x2 etc), but I could plug in the additional SN850x in the future if I upgrade the mobo to something that has another usable nvme slot in the setup.

I don't think there's a straightforward answer to this question, but hoping to get some input on which one might be better for my use case. Thought about getting both as well, but feels like it'd be a waste since an additional 4TB would be plenty for now.

Currently have an external 20TB HDD for more long term storage (archiving past projects), so this one would be for daily use.

There are some 20Gbps enclosure available from Orico, Delock and Ugreen...

Could take your chances on https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001365142602.html

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

18 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

There are some 20Gbps enclosure available from Orico, Delock and Ugreen...

Could take your chances on https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001365142602.html

Looks like I didn't look into external enclosures enough!

Thank you~ will probably take the gamble and try it out. Do you have an experience with Orico? Seems like a popular enough brand, but don't have any personal experience with them.

Fyi the sandisk ssds die randomly even when not used due to sandisk cheaping out on manufacturing

Any reason to not just add more storage to your computer?

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Fyi the sandisk ssds die randomly even when not used due to sandisk cheaping out on manufacturing

Any reason to not just add more storage to your computer?

Oh really? I saw they had some decent reviews, but it looks like I'll definitely be going for an external enclosure! 

I already have 4 sticks of SN850X 4TB installed atm and workload has been heavy as of late so they've all kind of filled up to about 80-90%.

Might eventually get the 8TB ones if this keeps up, but they're like 3x more in price while offering 2x the space so been holding off on it haha.

2 minutes ago, Street_Flounder said:

Oh really? I saw they had some decent reviews, but it looks like I'll definitely be going for an external enclosure! 

I already have 4 sticks of SN850X 4TB installed atm and workload has been heavy as of late so they've all kind of filled up to about 80-90%.

Might eventually get the 8TB ones if this keeps up, but they're like 3x more in price while offering 2x the space so been holding off on it haha.

Yiu might wanna invest in a simple nas for mass storage as this is basically just a patchjob for a growing issue and its best to nip it in the bud before it becomes a monster

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Yiu might wanna invest in a simple nas for mass storage as this is basically just a patchjob for a growing issue and its best to nip it in the bud before it becomes a monster

I did look into it awhile back, but the speeds were very underwhelming at the time. Have they improved as of late if splurging a bit of money for it? 

Probably will end up needing one for archiving at the very least since I'm on my 5th 20TB HDD atm.

There's USB4 40Gbps portable SSD from Adata but yeah also enclosures too. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

4 hours ago, Street_Flounder said:

I did look into it awhile back, but the speeds were very underwhelming at the time. Have they improved as of late if splurging a bit of money for it? 

Probably will end up needing one for archiving at the very least since I'm on my 5th 20TB HDD atm.

Yeah so sounds like you have no backup strategy and everything is very fragmented?

I mean a nas can be as fast as you want. A video editing nas is super easy to get going. Throw in some sata ssd drives in simple pc, truenas on it and send it. Or even a asustor nvme nas is not even that expensive. Blazing fast stuff.

Then for an archival unit you can grt a used server, diy,... and just dump it full. Could be that even that is plenty good.

Whats your job? Video editing? Have you thought about a data cleanup policy and data retention policy if so for clients?