I'm about to lose my mind (new PC build)

andyandstuf
Go to solution Solved by andyandstuf,
On 12/3/2023 at 1:10 PM, boomrocker said:

So, swapping the motherboard fixed none of this? Pretty weird for onboard networking to not work at just 1Gb.

What power supply is in the machine? Enough power for the card?

Solution: PCIE riser generation must match what is set in the bios. My PCIE riser is 3.0 so my bios must also be set at 3.0. 

Two problems:

1. GPU low gaming fps (<30).

2. Ethernet port capped at 90 Mbps.

Troubleshooting:

1. Installing the latest GPU driver from GeForce Experience causes BSOD or PC to turn itself off and then back on, after a few min of normal use. Manual installation of other older drivers from the Nvidia website results in the same low fps or crash symptoms mentioned previously.

2. Replacing MB, CPU, PSU.

3. BIOS update.

4. Using one ram stick at a time in different slots.

5. Tested GPU and SSD on a different build. They both work fine.

6. Control center installing MB drivers.

Specs:

Zotac RTX 4060

AMD R7 7700X

GIGABYTE A620I AX

SN850X

CP2K16G56C46U5

35 minutes ago, emosun said:

how old is the windows install

Very recent. I used a Windows 11 installation media tool on a USB. I've reset Windows 11 many times too. I'm currently reinstalling the media tool to ensure it wasn't corrupted.

Does the network cable/port you are using for this computer run at >= 1Gb on another computer?

What game and settings?

What monitor and cable being used? Were these used to test the other rig with gpu in it?

What temps are cpu and gpu in-game?

What USB and PCI-E devices are also connected to the computer? Anything showing in device manager without drivers?

DAILY: CPU: 5900X | Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master rev1.2 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming | RAM: G.Skill DDR4-4000 CL16 32GB (2x16GB)| Hard Drive: Samsung 980 Pro 500GB + Samsung 980 1TB | Power Supply: Corsair HX1000 | Cooling: EKWB EK-AIO 360 | Cooling: 6X Noctua NF-S12A Chromax 120mm | Case: Lian-Li O11D PCMR Edition | Monitor: LG UltraGear 34GN850-B | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G900 | Audio: Logitech Pro X Wireless DTS

NAS: CPU: 7700k | Motherboard: Asus Maximus IX Code | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080Ti G1 Gaming | RAM: G.Skill DDR4-3200 CL16 32GB (2x16GB)| Hard Drive: 3x WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB, 1x Samsung 960 Evo 1TB

Forbidden router: Supermicro E300-9D-8CN8TP

9 minutes ago, boomrocker said:

Does the network cable/port you are using for this computer run at >= 1Gb on another computer?

What game and settings?

What monitor and cable being used? Were these used to test the other rig with gpu in it?

What temps are cpu and gpu in-game?

What USB and PCI-E devices are also connected to the computer? Anything showing in device manager without drivers?

1. Yes. On another build, it runs way higher than 90 Mbps. Should be around 400 Mbps.

2. Lowest settings of Overwatch 2 and The Forest. There are even poor frames while only on the game menu.

3. XV272U W2bmiiprx. Displayport. Yes, both were tested on another rig.

4. Normal.

5. Just the mouse and keyboard. The device manager does not show anything without drivers after installing through the GIGABYTE control panel which installs everything for me.

Sounds like you have covered all the basics then. I mean if its not a hassle for you then trying a fresh windows install is an easy one to attempt in case something is corrupt.

Can check event viewer, system log to check any errors, particularly at the times just before BSOD happens. This might give some more clues, what errors are in there?

DAILY: CPU: 5900X | Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master rev1.2 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming | RAM: G.Skill DDR4-4000 CL16 32GB (2x16GB)| Hard Drive: Samsung 980 Pro 500GB + Samsung 980 1TB | Power Supply: Corsair HX1000 | Cooling: EKWB EK-AIO 360 | Cooling: 6X Noctua NF-S12A Chromax 120mm | Case: Lian-Li O11D PCMR Edition | Monitor: LG UltraGear 34GN850-B | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G900 | Audio: Logitech Pro X Wireless DTS

NAS: CPU: 7700k | Motherboard: Asus Maximus IX Code | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080Ti G1 Gaming | RAM: G.Skill DDR4-3200 CL16 32GB (2x16GB)| Hard Drive: 3x WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB, 1x Samsung 960 Evo 1TB

Also, what hard drive is in the system? Are the games and OS on same drive? SMART values showing as okay?

20 minutes ago, boomrocker said:

Sounds like you have covered all the basics then. I mean if its not a hassle for you then trying a fresh windows install is an easy one to attempt in case something is corrupt.

Can check event viewer, system log to check any errors, particularly at the times just before BSOD happens. This might give some more clues, what errors are in there?

The fresh install is done and the same result remains. I didn't know what to do with the information in the event viewer. I can install the latest GPU driver to initiate the crash and check again. I remember an event 41 error off the top of my head.

23 minutes ago, boomrocker said:

Also, what hard drive is in the system? Are the games and OS on same drive? SMART values showing as okay?

It is a SN850X M.2 NVME. They are on the same drive. I'm not familiar with SMART values, but I'll look into it.

Okay, well I'm just thinking seeing as you have tried swapping out a fair amount of other things the one thing that would slow down both network and applications could be the hard drive, as unlikely as it seems. So run diagnostics on that or try another drive if you have one.

crystaldiskinfo or WD dashbaord in this case might tell you if all okay or not.

Maybe even jsut reseating the nvme drive could help? Although presumably you've done that already if you changed out mobo already.

10 hours ago, boomrocker said:

Okay, well I'm just thinking seeing as you have tried swapping out a fair amount of other things the one thing that would slow down both network and applications could be the hard drive, as unlikely as it seems. So run diagnostics on that or try another drive if you have one.

crystaldiskinfo or WD dashbaord in this case might tell you if all okay or not.

Maybe even jsut reseating the nvme drive could help? Although presumably you've done that already if you changed out mobo already.

I've decided to use a USB-C to ethernet port that works as a solution. I can live with it. The GPU on the other hand is a bigger deal. I'm getting a GPU replacement in hopes that it fixes this problem. Currently, I'm using the new setup but with the GPU replaced with my old GTX 1060. Since that is working, I can logically assume the GPU is faulty.

I can't wrap my head around why the RTX 4060 was working in another setup as a test. Unless I'm remembering incorrectly.

So, swapping the motherboard fixed none of this? Pretty weird for onboard networking to not work at just 1Gb.

The motherboard replacement did not fix it. The machine also had a PSU replacement. Previously 600W, now 700W.

Yeah, I've never run into these problems before.

Solution: PCIE riser generation must match what is set in the bios. My PCIE riser is 3.0 so my bios must also be set at 3.0.