NVMe SSD (running through PCIe slot) is too slow

xfrenki

Hello,

Firstly, I'm running an old HP tower that has a GPU slapped to it, namely the HP Tower G1 800 with an i7-4790 (3.6GHz), 16 GB of DDR3 RAM, 320W PSU and a Zotac GTX 1650

I am currently running the Crucial P3 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen3 NVMe SSD, and I am running it with the Sabrent M.2 SSD NVMe PCIe Adapter. I partitioned the disk succesfully, and ran a test with CrystalDiskMark, but the read and write speeds were reaching a maximum of 400MB/s in all 3 tests that I ran. I also tried restarting the PC and suspending any other proccess which could've had an influence on the speed. My question is, whether or not my motherboard is too old to support the promised speeds of the drive, or whether I have either done something wrong with the partitioning, or if there is some other setback. 

Thanks a lot in advance to anyone willing to help!

Regards,

Frenki. 

(If it matters in any way, as I am fairly not knowledgeable in the storage area, my SATA SSD runs as expected)

Im not sure what  motherboard you have, but older motherboards dont support splitting the graphics lanes so all secondary x16 slots are wired though the chipset at PCIe 2.0 speeds and will restrict the speeds of the SSD. this can be the cause of the issue.

Just now, HoffmannMS said:

Im not sure what is your motherboard , but older motherboards dont support splitting the graphics lanes so all secondary x16 slots are wired though the chipset at PCIe 2.0 speeds and will restrict the speeds of the SSD. this can be the cause of the issue.

To be honest, the slot where I plugged my adapter had a different color to the GPU

Would I be sacrificing a lot of performance if I swapped my GPU and the storage drive? 

5 minutes ago, xfrenki said:

To be honest, the slot where I plugged my adapter had a different color to the GPU

Would I be sacrificing a lot of performance if I swapped my GPU and the storage drive? 

Yes , it would not be worth.The nvme is slow but its still faster like 10 times than a Hdd and the gpu would lost performance.

7 minutes ago, HoffmannMS said:

Yes , it would not be worth.The nvme is slow but its still faster like 10 times than a Hdd and the gpu would lost performance.

I looked online, and found the exact information on the PCIe slots:

(1) PCI Express x16 (v3.0)

(1) PCI Express x 16 (v2.0 - wired as x4)

I don't know whether or not this makes a difference, but I hope it helps you understand the situation better

I'm assuming you have a GPU in the full x16 slot so the other one that's x4 lanes at Gen2 is where the drive is? A PCIe Gen 2 x4 slot should still be capable of 2GB/s to the chipset. I don't know what the chipset connects to the CPU with but @HoffmannMS might.

image.png.cc9bcfd896a0f863f9112b65f21467b5.png

Just now, GuiltySpark_ said:

I'm assuming you have a GPU in the full x16 slot so the other one that's x4 lanes at Gen2 is where the drive is? A PCIe Gen 2 x4 slot should still be capable of 2GB/s to the chipset. I don't know what the chipset connects to the CPU with but @HoffmannMS might.

image.png.cc9bcfd896a0f863f9112b65f21467b5.png

Yeah, that's pretty much how I've set them up

Unless I mistook the x1 for the x16 (which I doubt I have) my drive should be giving me higher speeds

9 minutes ago, xfrenki said:

Yeah, that's pretty much how I've set them up

Unless I mistook the x1 for the x16 (which I doubt I have) my drive should be giving me higher speeds

Then my guess would be that is likely your PCIe bandwidth is being taken away by other things.For an example a B450 has 20 lanes going from the processor and 4 lanes from the chipset

CPU lanes are taken up by:

GPU x16

First m.2 SSD x4 (Not sure if you have one or not)

While chipset lanes are the ones responsible for other PCIe slots and may be taken up by network/wifi/sound cards that you may have.Im not sure tho just a guess

9 minutes ago, HoffmannMS said:

Then my guess would be that is likely your PCIe bandwidth is being taken away by other things.For an example a B450 has 20 lanes going from the processor and 4 lanes from the chipset

CPU lanes are taken up by:

GPU x16

First m.2 SSD x4 (Not sure if you have one or not)

While chipset lanes are the ones responsible for other PCIe slots and may be taken up by network/wifi/sound cards that you may have.Im not sure tho just a guess

I do also have a HDD (3TB if it matters) which I guess is taking up the rest of the bandwidth? If I disconnect it could the problem be resolved?

11 minutes ago, xfrenki said:

I do also have a HDD (3TB if it matters) which I guess is taking up the rest of the bandwidth? If I disconnect it could the problem be resolved?

Hmm I dont think so because bandwith is for the pcie and nvme and the hdd is powered by sata so i dont think it will change but you should try it.Also do you kno the model of your motherboard maybe it doesnt routes to x2 or something different. ill continue to look for a resolution.

4 minutes ago, HoffmannMS said:

Hmm I dont think so because bandwith is for the pcie and nvme and the hdd is powered by sata so i dont think it will change but you should try it.Also do you kno the model of your motherboard maybe it doesnt routes to x2 or something different. ill continue to look for a resolution.

From what I found online it's an Intel Q87 Express

1 minute ago, xfrenki said:

From what I found online it's an Intel Q87 Express

Also it has a DVD ROM drive, again, not sure if it affects the bandwidth, but I hope it helps. 

Here's where I extracted all the infos from btw, if you want more in depth stuff: https://support.hp.com/ph-en/document/c03808397

1 hour ago, xfrenki said:

Also it has a DVD ROM drive, again, not sure if it affects the bandwidth, but I hope it helps. 

Here's where I extracted all the infos from btw, if you want more in depth stuff: https://support.hp.com/ph-en/document/c03808397

image.png.3ede374f22cc06531537779184bf136c.png

This is what i found abt the motherboard.It is inneed kinda old but  if it was using the x2 on rev 2 it should be capped at 1 gbps so im kinda confused.Unless your gpu is using 8 lanes i dont really know whats going on. Maybe nvme is deffective? gonna check some more things .

For starters, run the crystaldiskinfo, and do a screenshot of whole screen with P3

around 400 MBps would indicates PCIe 2.0 x1 link,  but well, that SSD is garbage DRAMless QLC SSD

And link us the PCIe adapter you bought... 

Is it this one?

HPTowerG1800.thumb.jpg.d826ab8ebd4e29b6f2101a273ae8e353.jpg

Spoiler
CPU : Intel 14gen i7-14700K
COOLER :  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 White + thermaltake toughfan 12 white + Thermal Grizzly - CPU Contact Frame Intel 13./14. +  Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
GPU : MSI RTX 2070 Armor @GPU 2050MHz Mem 8200MHz -> USB C 10Gb/s cable 2m -> Unitek 4x USB HUB 10 Gb/s (Y-HB08003)
MOBO : MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY
RAM :  Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) 6400 MHz CL32 (CMK64GX5M2B6400C32)
SSD : Intel Optane 905P 960GB U.2 (OS) + 2 x WD SN850X 4TB + 2 x PNY CS3140 2TB + ASM2824 PCIe switch -> 4 x Plextor M8PeG 1TB + flexiDOCK MB014SP-B -> Crucial MX500 2TB + GoodRam Iridium PRO 960GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
HDD : WD White 18TB WD180EDFZ + SATA port multiplier adp6st0-j05 (JMB575) ->  WD Gold 8TB WD8002FRYZ + WD Gold 4TB WD4002FYYZ + WD Red PRO 4TB WD4001FFSX + WD Green 2TB WD20EARS
EXTERNAL
HDD/SSD : 
XT-XINTE LM906 (JMS583) -> Plextor M8PeG 1TB + WD My Passport slim 1TB + LaCie Porsche Design Mobile Drive 1TB USB-C + Zalman ZM-VE350 -> Goodram IRDM PRO 240GB
PSU :  Super Flower leadex platinum 750 W biały -> Bitfenix alchemy extensions białe/białe + AsiaHorse 16AWG White 
UPS :  CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 8 -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 10
LCD :  LG 32UD59-B + LG flatron IPS236 -> Silverstone SST-ARM11BC
CASE :  Fractal R5 Biały + Lian Li BZ-H06A srebrny + 6 x Thermaltake toughfan 14 white + Thermalright TL-B8W
SPEAKERS :  Aune S6 Pro -> Topping PA3-B -> Polk S20e black -> Monoprice stand 16250
HEADPHONES :  TOSLINK 2m -> Aune S6 Pro -> 2 x Monoprice Premier 1.8m 16AWG 3-pin XLR -> Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 887 -> 4-pin XLR na 2 x 3.5mm 16 cores OCC 2m Cable -> HiFiMAN Edition XS -> sheepskin pads + 4-pin XLR na 2 x 2.5mm ABLET silver 2m  Cable -> Monoprice Monolith M1060 + Brainwavz HM100 -> Brainwavz sheepskin oval pads + Wooden double Ɪ Stand + Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK -> sheepskin pads + Multibrackets MB1893 + Sennheiser Momentum 3 +  Philips Fidelio X2HR/00 + JBL J88 White
MIC :  Tonor TC30 -> Mozos SB38
KEYBOARD : Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent (EU) + Glorious PC Gaming Race Stealth Slim - Full Size Black + PQI MyLockey
MOUSE :  Logitech MX ERGO + 2 x Logitech MX Performance + Logitech G Pro wireless + Logitech G Pro Gaming -> Hotline Games 2.0 Plus + Corsair MM500 3xl + Corsair MM300 Extended + Razer goliathus control
CONTROLLERS :  Microsoft xbox series x controller pc (1VA-00002) -> brainwavz audio Controller Holder UGC2 + Microsoft xbox 360 wireless black + Ravcore Javelin
NET :  Intel x520-DA2 -> 2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT + 2 x ASUS ZenWiFi Pro XT12
NAS :  Qnap TS-932X-2G -> Noctua NF-P14s redux 1200 PWM -> Kingston 16GB 2400Mhz CL14 (HX424S14IB/16) -> 9 x Crucial MX500 2TB ->  2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT -> 2 x Digitus (DK-HD2533-05/3)