Screen Tearing and an old GPU

Eacyy
Go to solution Solved by YoungBlade,
1 minute ago, Eacyy said:

You think there might be some graphical setting I could change? Or is it just old age getting to it? 

If it's not overheating, it could be that the memory or something in the GPU itself is starting to fail.

This wouldn't be something settings could fix, this would be a sign of your hardware dying.

Something you could try would be underclocking the memory and/or GPU core with a program like MSI Afterburner, to see if you can get it stable at a lower frequency. However, this would obviously reduce performance, and in the end, may only be a temporary fix.

If a memory chip has started to degrade, for example, then even if you get it stable at -200MHz memory speed or whatever, then in a few months or a year, it might lose stability again at that speed. Assuming it even has a point anymore where it would be stable.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I think your card's days are numbered.

Good afternoon all,

I have an old ASUS Strix Nvidia GTX960 OC 4GB as my GPU since it launched basically, and lately I have been experiencing more and more screen tearing. In-game, watching YouTube videos, V-sync ON or V-sync OFF in nvidia panel, 60 or 75Hz, nothing can fully fix it. It didn't use to tear this much and this regularly before. This GPU has had heavy use over the years, but it's not overheating, it's not being overclocked (it never was, more than the factory OC). 

Yesterday I had a twitch stream open (OperaGX) on my 2K monitor and I was playing Horizon 5 on my other 1080p monitor, when suddenly the twitch stream starts tearing like crazy, turning into a full on chess board. 

As soon as I clicked on the browser window, it cleaned up and the tearing was gone. Could it be that my GPU is running out of video memory?

I will put an example of it tearing on a really undemanding task, like a YT video. As u can see in the video, the white/black door tears to shreds as the camera moves. I have V-sync on in Nvidia panel. I have hardware accel OFF in OperaGX. Having it ON makes no difference. 

Any help?

Thank you so much!

Check gpu usage. With msi afterburner

Quite simply that thing is probably at 100% and 100% vram. Might even be having temp issues if you haven't repasted it and/or cleaned.

Running out of memory generally shouldn't cause tearing, it should just hurt performance.

To me, the video looks more like some kind of GPU or memory error. Yes, it kinda looks like tearing, but that's not how tearing typically works.

With tearing, you usually see a clear dividing line between one frame and the next. However, in that video, there is an odd split where it looks like two frames are being blended together.

Notice the door in this frame. The bottom of the door is apparently a frame ahead of the middle, then there's a tear - that's normal. But then there's another tear, and the very top of the door is also a frame ahead, in line with the frame below the other tear? That's not normal.

With a tear, where the GPU is sending data to your monitor out of sync with the refresh rate, you should have two frames, an old frame on the bottom, and a newer frame on the top. Unless your GPU is sending more than 2 frames per refresh, but in that case, each frame as you go up should get further ahead. You don't have two frames getting mixed up where there's an old frame sandwiched in the middle of two parts of the same newer frame.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.8101cbd24e4290694d9be80eb60e05ea.png

I think something may actually be wrong with your GPU beyond simple tearing and not staying in sync with your monitor. I think this is artifacting - not tearing.

Just now, jaslion said:

Check gpu usage. With msi afterburner

Quite simply that thing is probably at 100% and 100% vram. Might even be having temp issues if you haven't repasted it and/or cleaned.

As I said, it's not overheating. It always struggles with Horizon 5, its a demanding game for an old gpu like this, so it's always at 70-98% GPU usage. With horizon 5 I can understand the gpu struggling, but not with a YT video.

Why could it be tearing while ONLY watching a yt video? No high gpu usage, no overheating, v-sync on... 

2 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Running out of memory generally shouldn't cause tearing, it should just hurt performance.

To me, the video looks more like some kind of GPU or memory error. Yes, it kinda looks like tearing, but that's not how tearing typically works.

With tearing, you usually see a clear dividing line between one frame and the next. However, in that video, there is an odd split where it looks like two frames are being blended together.

Notice the door in this frame. The bottom of the door is apparently a frame ahead of the middle, then there's a tear, but then there's another tear, and the very top of the door is also a frame ahead? With a tear, where the GPU is sending data to your monitor out of sync with the refresh rate, you should have two frames, an old frame on the bottom, and a newer frame on the top. Unless your GPU is sending more than 2 frames per refresh, but in that case, each frame as you go up should get further ahead. You don't have two frames getting mixed up where there's an old frame sandwiched in the middle of two newer frames.

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.8101cbd24e4290694d9be80eb60e05ea.png

I think something may actually be wrong with your GPU beyond simple tearing and not staying in sync with your monitor. I think this is artifacting - not tearing.

You think there might be some graphical setting I could change? Or is it just old age getting to it? 

4 minutes ago, Eacyy said:

As I said, it's not overheating. It always struggles with Horizon 5, its a demanding game for an old gpu like this, so it's always at 70-98% GPU usage. With horizon 5 I can understand the gpu struggling, but not with a YT video.

Why could it be tearing while ONLY watching a yt video? No high gpu usage, no overheating, v-sync on... 

This is more and more starting to look like an issue with the card as closer inspection shows multiple video artifacts that are not tearing at all.

I'd say this is an old age thing since it's well over8 years old

1 minute ago, Eacyy said:

If it's not overheating, it could be that the memory or something in the GPU itself is starting to fail.

This wouldn't be something settings could fix, this would be a sign of your hardware dying.

Something you could try would be underclocking the memory and/or GPU core with a program like MSI Afterburner, to see if you can get it stable at a lower frequency. However, this would obviously reduce performance, and in the end, may only be a temporary fix.

If a memory chip has started to degrade, for example, then even if you get it stable at -200MHz memory speed or whatever, then in a few months or a year, it might lose stability again at that speed. Assuming it even has a point anymore where it would be stable.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

This is more and more starting to look like an issue with the card as closer inspection shows multiple video artifacts that are not tearing at all.

I'd say this is an old age thing since it's well over8 years old

1 minute ago, YoungBlade said:

I always manually programmed my gpu fans to be hard workers, so my gpu never shows any signs of overheat. I will make sure to not overwork the card, as I can't really afford a new one atm. Unfortunately, all cards have a final day and this one has worked a lot already. Thank you for your help!