I think I should get more performance -Low CPU and GPU usage, Low temps, Low frames

Questo
Go to solution Solved by ItTakes2ToMango,
21 minutes ago, Questo said:

in power options its set to balanced, not sure if its the right power setting you have mentioned though.

Yeah that is probably the problem. Set it to performance.

I have a Lenovo Legion 5 Pro with a R7 6800H and a 3070. In some games, I feel like I should be getting more frames, better performance etc.

Example - In BattleBit my CPU and GPU wont go over 20-30% usage with my temps being below 60 degrees, with the fans barely going. Ill have 60-90 fps when I feel like should be having more. This is the same in some other games. Is this just due to the game's limitations or are these some settings I need to tweak?

The only game where iv not seen this happen is Skyrim where my CPU usage ramps up loads

Does anyone have any advice?

Are both limited to that low usage or both at the same time?

Power settings > Performance mode turned on?

Do you see the same thing in a proper benchmark, like furmark? 

Drivers, windows, and BIOS up to date?

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

Just now, ItTakes2ToMango said:

Are both limited to that low usage or both at the same time?

Power settings > Performance mode turned on?

Do you see the same thing in a proper benchmark, like furmark? 

Drivers, windows, and BIOS up to date?

From what I have seen in BattleBit, they are both low. Seen about the same with other games like deathloop.

image.png.d4947af3923c4c1779c74a836275f3ba.png

I have the laptop set to auto, in power options its set to balanced, not sure if its the right power setting you have mentioned though. Ill try a benchmark and see what happens. I believe windows and drivers are updated. 

1 minute ago, Questo said:

From what I have seen in BattleBit, they are both low. Seen about the same with other games like deathloop.

image.png.d4947af3923c4c1779c74a836275f3ba.png

I have the laptop set to auto, in power options its set to balanced, not sure if its the right power setting you have mentioned though. Ill try a benchmark and see what happens. I believe windows and drivers are updated. 

Running your laptop on balanced mode might be limiting it's performance. My laptop can only run Ableton Live and ProTools in performance mode, in any other mode it just shits itself. Also, using your laptop on battery power instead of being plugged in will always be less powerful. 

21 minutes ago, Questo said:

in power options its set to balanced, not sure if its the right power setting you have mentioned though.

So funny thing. If an application is asking too little usage the cpu and gpu will stay in a lowered power state. You might have to go into the driver and say force high performance for this game.

Deathloop is just a badly optimized game.

Best you can do is run a benchmark like unigene superpostition and compare scores. for the gpu and cinebench for the cpu. To see if it's doing weird things.

49 minutes ago, Eacyy said:

Running your laptop on balanced mode might be limiting it's performance. My laptop can only run Ableton Live and ProTools in performance mode, in any other mode it just shits itself. Also, using your laptop on battery power instead of being plugged in will always be less powerful. 

I only run games when its plugged in, if its not plugged in it caps itself at like 30 fps

How do I put it on performance mode, do I have to make a new power plan?

34 minutes ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

As in lenovo vantage's mode where the light goes to red or is it in the power plan section

Just now, Questo said:

As in lenovo vantage's mode where the light goes to red or is it in the power plan section

It should be in Windows settings, under power management or something like that, put it on performance mode. Should help a lot. I've personally never used Lenovo's Vantage, so I don't know how to help you there, but just the other day my girlfriend had an Ethernet related issue caused by Lenovo Vantage's settings, so make sure that app isn't limiting you in other ways. 

6 minutes ago, Eacyy said:

It should be in Windows settings, under power management or something like that, put it on performance mode. Should help a lot. I've personally never used Lenovo's Vantage, so I don't know how to help you there, but just the other day my girlfriend had an Ethernet related issue caused by Lenovo Vantage's settings, so make sure that app isn't limiting you in other ways. 

Just tried it and I'm instantly getting 110-130 fps + and something hitting 150-180 in some areas 

Seems like this should be the fix then

Thank you

1 minute ago, Questo said:

Just tried it and I'm instantly getting 110-130 fps + and something hitting 150-180 in some areas 

Thank you

Glad it's working out for you! Make sure to mark the solution!

1 minute ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

Glad it's working out for you! Make sure to mark the solution!

It looks like im getting the same usage or even less from my cpu + gpu, with a tad higher temps - laptops fan isnt that loud so assume its not ramping up much

Is the low usage just cause of the games limitations?image.png.16a2f5e6b941dd0c7ec41025d5d3dfa9.png

4 minutes ago, Questo said:

It looks like im getting the same usage or even less from my cpu + gpu, with a tad higher temps - laptops fan isnt that loud so assume its not ramping up much

Is the low usage just cause of the games limitations?image.png.16a2f5e6b941dd0c7ec41025d5d3dfa9.png

Err- not sure. I would certainly test it out in more than 1 game just to see if it's an isolated issue or not.

6 minutes ago, Questo said:

Much higher FPS though, so looks like it did something!

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.7GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

2 minutes ago, Questo said:

Thank you

Idk if you're using Win10 or 11 but there are a couple more things u can do to bump up your in-game fps if you so desire, for example: 

If you go into Power Settings-> Change power plan settings -> Change advanced Power Settings-> CPU power management you can set your CPU to prefer a bigger power output. 

You can do this for your GPU too in Nvidia Control Panel, under Manage 3D Settings-> Low Latency Mode (Set to Ultra) and under Power Management mode (Set to prefer maximum performance) 

Other quirky things like turning off your Xbox Game Bar or in Nvidia control panel, setting your image settings to "performance" instead of quality can help with boosting fps. Never forget that lowering your resolution or graphics settings in-game will also really help you there. 

Hope it helped!

7 minutes ago, Eacyy said:

Idk if you're using Win10 or 11 but there are a couple more things u can do to bump up your in-game fps if you so desire, for example: 

If you go into Power Settings-> Change power plan settings -> Change advanced Power Settings-> CPU power management you can set your CPU to prefer a bigger power output. 

You can do this for your GPU too in Nvidia Control Panel, under Manage 3D Settings-> Low Latency Mode (Set to Ultra) and under Power Management mode (Set to prefer maximum performance) 

Other quirky things like turning off your Xbox Game Bar or in Nvidia control panel, setting your image settings to "performance" instead of quality can help with boosting fps. Never forget that lowering your resolution or graphics settings in-game will also really help you there. 

Hope it helped!

With tweaking my cpu and gpu to prefer a bigger output - does that have any major risks or long term effects on the health of my laptop?

Thank you for the extra tips though I will try them out

3 minutes ago, Questo said:

With tweaking my cpu and gpu to prefer a bigger output - does that have any major risks or long term effects on the health of my laptop?

If your PC can keep itself under its max temps then no not at all, just a slightly louder computer as fans will be blowing harder, but most chips are rated to 100+C and if they get to that theyll slow themselves down to keep under that temp anyway so no issue. Only issue would be if your fans get really clogged up with dust etc and cant blow any air through them. But they can be cleaned easy enough. And by the looks of your temps currently that isnt the case i dont think

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.7GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

1 hour ago, Questo said:

As the previous responder said, if you're not overheating your components, then they shouldn't slow down. They will always slow down over time with wear and tear and like you said, the more u ask out of it, the earlier it will start to slow down. Those settings I sent you aren't in any way shape or form close to an overclock of sorts, so you don't have to worry, you are not asking more of ur components than what they already can deliver. If those settings make your components overheat, then these could slow down faster with time and you shouldn't mess with em. But if the settings change don't make em overheat, then the components will keep running as normal and as intended.