Dual slot vs quad slot memory?

Hey guys I have a relatively simple question.

I am looking at a new build with a 14900K I do a lot of solid works and media editing so the power is definitely helpful but I am looking at going Mini-ITX or M-ATX. 
The max ram amount I can get on an ITX board seems to be 96GB with two sticks now I think that will be enough for my needs but I do need to check some things to confirm that.

My question is: Is there any performance change between having two sticks vs four other than the obvious ability to have more ram? 

My thought would be no, simply because the 14900K only has two channel ram so four sticks means two are sharing a channel vs single stick per channel. 

If you can maintain the same speeds across 4 sticks then yes because you will have more memory ranks.

But the more ranks you have the more difficult is to run the RAM on high speed so it will likely lower your performance despite having more ranks.

Unfortunately with DDR5, running 4 sticks will limit the speed of the ram compared to running 2. If you don't care about high speed ram, it doesn't matter.

If you could run them at the same speed, there are some scenarios where 4 sticks can be faster than 2, but not so much at higher capacities.

7 minutes ago, WereCat said:

If you can maintain the same speeds across 4 sticks then yes because you will have more memory ranks.

But the more ranks you have the more difficult is to run the RAM on high speed so it will likely lower your performance despite having more ranks.

More isn't better. In my limited testing I found (per channel) 2x1R to be fastest, 1x2R fractionally behind, 2x2R slightly behind that, then 1x1R slowest. Outside of niche cases the differences are pretty small.

With DDR5 it does seem like 1x 2R is easy to run at high speed, but not 2x 1R in the same channel. We're into physical wiring difficulties more than logical layout.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

29 minutes ago, Michael.W said:

I am looking at a new build with a 14900K I do a lot of solid works and media editing so the power is definitely helpful but I am looking at going Mini-ITX or M-ATX. 

Considering you need like AT LEAST a arctic liquid freezer II 360mm to HOPE to cool the damn thing you simply won't have a small itx machine.

Also dont get a 14900k but a 13900k because it is the EXACT SAME CPU just 100mhz clocked higher and you just don't notice that difference. Less than 1%. 13900k also runs cooler and is cheaper.

As for the ram. Sometimes 4 is faster but in ddr5 that often means speeds lower as it's far harder to keep high speed across many dimms so 2x is the best bet. However there ARE validated kits that do 4x well. However this intel platform isn't the best with mem speed. Due to being a hybrid ddr4/ddr5.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Considering you need like AT LEAST a arctic liquid freezer II 360mm to HOPE to cool the damn thing you simply won't have a small itx machine.

Also dont get a 14900k but a 13900k because it is the EXACT SAME CPU just 100mhz clocked higher and you just don't notice that difference. Less than 1%. 13900k also runs cooler and is cheaper.

As for the ram. Sometimes 4 is faster but in ddr5 that often means speeds lower as it's far harder to keep high speed across many dimms so 2x is the best bet. However there ARE validated kits that do 4x well. However this intel platform isn't the best with mem speed. Due to being a hybrid ddr4/ddr5.

Thank you for your suggestion. 

As for case that won't be an issue as I am going to get a Hydra PC cases | Hydra Shop (hydra-shop.com) and rotate the rad and GPU on the back vertical so rad length is a non issue. 

39 minutes ago, porina said:

2x1R to be fastest, 1x2R fractionally behind, 2x2R slightly behind that

I assume 2x1r being 2 single rank sticks in the same channel

1x2r being 1 dual rank stick in 1 channel

And 2x2r being 2 dual rank sticks in 1 channel aka quad rank?

For dual rank with a single stick you can run higher speeds especially on boards that are crap if you run 2 sticks in 1 channel like my giga x58a ud3r where i can hit 2800 ddr3 stable with 2 double sided hynix cfr sticks (third channel is trash on this board) but the thing wont even boot at that speed if i put 2 of my pscs in the same channel

but that can be considered somewhat high speed so not that fair of a comparison to slow <2400 ddr3, <4000 ddr4, and <7000 ddr5 aka easily achievable xmp or mild oc speeds where for the former 2 most boards should be capable of those speeds with 2 sticks in 1 channel, just ddr5 has issues

It seems like there are definitely some ddr5 boards capable of running 4 stick at high speed but these are pretty high end and usually purpose built for ram oc like this z790 classified and not your average "xoc" joke board, also gonna need to do alot of manual tuning as luumi mentioned in this video

Then theres the imc to consider cause afaik quad rank is still a pain to run on ddr5 both on amd and intel but dual rank seems to be just fine

6 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I assume 2x1r being 2 single rank sticks in the same channel

1x2r being 1 dual rank stick in 1 channel

And 2x2r being 2 dual rank sticks in 1 channel aka quad rank?

Yes

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, Michael.W said:

Thank you for your suggestion. 

As for case that won't be an issue as I am going to get a Hydra PC cases | Hydra Shop (hydra-shop.com) and rotate the rad and GPU on the back vertical so rad length is a non issue. 

As long as you make sure the rad is HIGHER than the cpu block all is good. Else you ruin the pump. I'd go matx board then just so you don't pay extra for itx when not needed and have more options for later.

10 hours ago, jaslion said:

As long as you make sure the rad is HIGHER than the cpu block all is good. Else you ruin the pump. I'd go matx board then just so you don't pay extra for itx when not needed and have more options for later.

The rad will be well higher but I'm thinking of doing a custom loop anyway with a pump res combo on the side so also another non issue if I go that way. 

I just notice that it seems like the selection of M-ATX boards is really small and a lot of the stores here in NZ don't seem to stock all the models it's hard to find a model you don't know exists in the first place.