Jump to content

Computer-1 mITX CAD Workstation build

Fuzebox

Budget (including currency):  More or less 13 000 SEK (Selling current rig for 5-6k, already have GFX, Case and PSU)

Country: SWEDEN

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: CAD (Solidworks, Creo, Inventor, Fusion. Fluid and mechanical simulations, Renders, Medium large assemblys), Remote Work (Teams, Office etc), some light gaming (Hollow knight and similar). Audio/Video Recording/Streaming.

Other details: Quality and efficiency takes priority. Silent operation is important. The Case is the Teenage Engineering Computer-1.

 

I'm pretty set on what i want to buy, but i'd like some input regarding futureproofing, the need to go DDR5, PCIE5, what specifics to go for.

 

CPU, Cooler: For CAD you want the fastest single core you can get. Additional cores are mainly for the rest of the system. I decided on the 7700X, as it is pretty well priced, 6 cores, high core speed and at 105W easy to cool with a NH-D9L (D12 could possibly fit but is there a point? Possibly sound...). Any good reason to go for Intel? I dont want to cool too many watts im such a mini chassi.

RAM: Ryzen 7000 of course uses DDR5. The Motherboard (more on that later) supports 5200Mhz RAM, and 6400 O.C. Is 6000 or 6400 O.C inherently less stable? Is it worth going for OC ram? Stability is important. Had i gone for DDR4 it would have been ECC. What latency do i go for? There is a 64GB kit Kingstons at CL36. Lower the better? Does much higher speed overrides the benefits of lower cas latency?

Motherboard: I want future proofing. Last computer i put together was 6-7 years ago. I intend for this one to last as well. PCIE5 seems pretty unecessary but the price diff is not much. Toughts? ASUS ROG Strix B650E-I Gaming WIFI mITX appears to be the best price to feature balance. There really aren't many options yet. Why do they have to call it "Gaming"... Any other good options?

PSU: (x) Found a good one here i think. Wanted a Seasonic, and luckily Phanteks are just rebrands so went for the ATX3.0 ready Phanteks Revolt SFX 850W 80+ Platinum. Way overkill. Quite expensive. Any better options? Already bought it so...

Case: (x) Teenage Engineering Computer-1. I saw it and i fell in love. It was 1000SEK off of the 2500SEK standard price. Very expensive. It makes me happy. 😄 Very open case. Possibly worth adding some leftover cut out acoustic foam to seal the openings? Just a tought.

Storage: (x) Any reason to get a pcie5 nvme ssd? Looking into it it seems like you kinda have to go for a 2TB model to get all the benefits. Thats a lot of dough. Maybe in the future. Got a 1TB gen4 drive and a 2TB SDD. Additional storage resides on a Pi5 NAS with 2 18TB spinners.

Graphics: (x) I already have a RTX A2000. It was a good upgrade from my 1660ti. It is 10-15% faster in games according to some benchmarks, and it is bus-powered at 70W and it is TINY. I got it for 2700SEK second hand. Price new is around 8000SEK. Only potential downside is the small fan whining during large calculations or gaming. Kinda need it for work though so. If i get an upgrade luckily all workstation cards will fit in the case.

Fans: Noctua Redux would fit the case color wise a lot better, but has lower quality bearings and less pressure. Worth the compromise? Case takes a 80mm fan. Possibly going to drill out a hole in the back for another one and 3d-print ducting straight to the cpu and or gpu. 

Sound: RØDE AI-1 powering active monitors, ATH-2100x mic (usb and xlr). Actually are there any USB Sound cards with built in hardware noise gate and compressor that doesn't cost like a second hand car?

Monitor: Xiaomi 32" ultrawide 1440p and a very very old second monitor on top. No need to upgrade right now.

 

Current build: 8700K, MSI Z370-A PRO, 32GB 2666MHz, A2000. NZXT H500i, AIO, Stupid NZXT E650 Digital PSU. All the white Cablemods and vertical GPU mount. 

 

Reason for upgrade is futureproofing and not wanting to get frustrated over solidworks loading times. Need for work kinda thing.

 

TL;DR: Futureproofing. DDR5 latency and speed, what to go for, prioritizing stability over speed. Motherboard choice, PCIe5 worth?

Any better/cheaper/more stable build you can come up with, Intel or Ryzen 5 instead with DDR4 ECC? CPU Single core speed is prio, and certainly under 125W TDP, pref a lot less.

 

 

Any discussion welcome, thansk for taking the time!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Fuzebox said:

CPU, Cooler: For CAD you want the fastest single core you can get. Additional cores are mainly for the rest of the system. I decided on the 7700X, as it is pretty well priced, 6 cores, high core speed and at 105W easy to cool with a NH-D9L (D12 could possibly fit but is there a point? Possibly sound...). Any good reason to go for Intel? I dont want to cool too many watts im such a mini chassi.

7700X is a good pick, though given what you described you might be referring to the 7600X as that's the 6 core version (the 7700X is 8 cores). As for going Intel, there are some applications that for whatever reason just run better on Intel CPUs, so you want to check to make sure your particular CAD software isn't one of them (I'm not aware of any that are, but granted I don't do a ton of CAD and therefore can't say for certain). Aside from that handful of scenarios, ITX builds with Intel chips are not usually a great idea because of the reasons you already mentioned. 

 

2 hours ago, Fuzebox said:

RAM: Ryzen 7000 of course uses DDR5. The Motherboard (more on that later) supports 5200Mhz RAM, and 6400 O.C. Is 6000 or 6400 O.C inherently less stable? Is it worth going for OC ram? Stability is important. Had i gone for DDR4 it would have been ECC. What latency do i go for? There is a 64GB kit Kingstons at CL36. Lower the better? Does much higher speed overrides the benefits of lower cas latency?

It's a little complicated, but generally if you don't know what you're doing 6000 CL30/32 is the ideal speed for Ryzen 7000 since that should work on basically every CPU and give pretty good performance. There's reasoning I could go into for why that is, but because of the way the IMC works higher speeds do work though they actually perform worse than 6000 CL30/32 if you just plan on enabling XMP. 

 

2 hours ago, Fuzebox said:

Motherboard: I want future proofing. Last computer i put together was 6-7 years ago. I intend for this one to last as well. PCIE5 seems pretty unecessary but the price diff is not much. Toughts? ASUS ROG Strix B650E-I Gaming WIFI mITX appears to be the best price to feature balance. There really aren't many options yet. Why do they have to call it "Gaming"... Any other good options?

There aren't a ton of AM5 ITX boards out there, so you aren't going to have many options. That board would probably be my pick as well. PCIe Gen 5 isn't really necessary, but since the only other worthwhile board isthe B650I Edge from MSI which the Strix does have a few advantages over (more fleshed out rear IO, better VRM, etc.) you might as well get the Gen 5 board. 

 

As for why they call it "gaming," it's because it's full of RGB goodness. You can disable it if you don't care about that. 

 

2 hours ago, Fuzebox said:

PSU: (x) Found a good one here i think. Wanted a Seasonic, and luckily Phanteks are just rebrands so went for the ATX3.0 ready Phanteks Revolt SFX 850W 80+ Platinum. Way overkill. Quite expensive. Any better options? Already bought it so...

If you already bought it I wouldn't really bother swapping it. 

 

2 hours ago, Fuzebox said:

Storage: (x) Any reason to get a pcie5 nvme ssd? Looking into it it seems like you kinda have to go for a 2TB model to get all the benefits. Thats a lot of dough. Maybe in the future. Got a 1TB gen4 drive and a 2TB SDD. Additional storage resides on a Pi5 NAS with 2 18TB spinners.

There isn't really any reason to get a Gen 5 SSD for a consumer system. They make a bit of sense in the virtualization space and anywhere where you need high bandwidth that can't fit in the RAM, though admittedly those workloads are pretty few and far between. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your time and effort 🙂

 

So are you saying 6000 30/32 is the fastest reliable option? I dont mind digging in and finding the best option for me here. I may upgrade the CPU later to more cores, even if clockspeed slightly suffers, so a kit that is good for 7600 and 7700, possibly 7900.

 

Actually with DDR5 being so new, it is more than likely much better kits are released in the coming years. Perhaps id sell CPU and RAM and upgrade later.

 

Is there any reliability data on DDR5 around yet? Reliability is really the top prio, even if speeds suffer a little. Are you aware of any stability issues or any downsides to using ram above the boards base spec?

 

When the motherboard specs say O.C does that mean XMP overclock, or its just plug in and runs above spec for the board?
 

Anything wrong with the PSU? 😛

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyways, ended up spending a few hours with chatgpt4 tech support gpt. Now thats a useful tool.

Ended up with the 7600x and Noctua NH-D9L

ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I GAMING WIFI mITX (looked at the asrock alternative but its got some wierd ass layout and bios things going on, and i dont need 105Amps)
Corsair D5 6000 64GB C30 Vengeance K2 (CMK64GX5M2B6000Z30) Is the kit i ended up on. Will see if its worth running at 6k or if i get better stabillity at stock with higher rated chips.

RTX A2000 gpu second hand like 60% off. Felt like stealing.

Thermal Grizzly AMD Ryzen 7000 CPU Guard because why not.

Phanteks Revolt SFX 850W 80+ Platinum. Was 25% off and atx3.0 ready. Seasonic rebrand so im happy.

And of course the beautiful https://teenage.engineering/products/computer-1

 

Thanks for your input.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×