New work station - Digital artist

Foolas

Hi guys,

I am looking to build a new PC primarily for work as a digital artist: Photoshop, light video editing, and digital painting (using VR). Additionally, I will use it for gaming occasionally. 

- I have a budget of 2000€ (I’m based in Germany but I don’t mind purchasing in France since I live not that far). 

- I already have a 4K screen. 
- I don’t need additional peripherals. 
- I don’t mind building it myself and I don’t need a Windows key.

This is the initial build I was thinking about:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/z7c9t7

CPU: Intel Core i7-14700KF 3.4 GHz 20-Core Processor  (€429.00 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (€85.90 @ Alza) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 AORUS ELITE AX ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (€274.78 @ Galaxus) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory  (€112.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (€161.90 @ Alza) 
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card  (€639.90 @ Alza) 
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  (€89.90 @ Alza) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€153.54 @ Galaxus) 
Total: €1947.91

I’m open to suggestions and comments of course. Thanks all for your help!

Looks like a solid list. I would try and get a non-F chip if possible though, Intel QuickSync - leveraging the iGPU for encode/decode tasks - can help a lot if you're doing that video editing in Premier (to the point that Intel's mainstream chips regularly beat their own HEDT offerings in that use case), and is helpful in other things sometimes too. May be able to get a cheaper motherboard as well, pinging @RONOTHAN## for that. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando_ said:

May be able to get a cheaper motherboard as well, pinging @RONOTHAN## for that. 

I wouldn't really go much below the Z790 Aorus Elite AX for a 14700K, since the boards can start getting pretty inadequate for the power monsters of 14th gen much below that. It's a solid board, though it might be worth looking at the Z690 PG Velocita instead. It's slightly cheaper (not enough to really matter for a build of this budget, but still), but more importantly adds a few extra things like a POST code for easier debugging. Main downsides of it are that the memory topology isn't quite as good (though at speeds below 7200 that isn't going to matter) and you'd have to do a BIOS update, but since you'd need to do a BIOS update with either board I'd probably swap to that. 

Other things I might do are swap the RAM and cooler. The 14700K can get insanely hot under full load, and you really should be aiming for a 360mm AIO if you can, especially since they're about the same cost as the DRP4. As for the RAM, it's basically the same price to get a 6400 CL32 kit which will be a little faster, so you might as well get the performance upgrade. 

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/qXRDkJ

14 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I wouldn't really go much below the Z790 Aorus Elite AX for a 14700K, since the boards can start getting pretty inadequate for the power monsters of 14th gen much below that. It's a solid board, though it might be worth looking at the Z690 PG Velocita instead. It's slightly cheaper (not enough to really matter for a build of this budget, but still), but more importantly adds a few extra things like a POST code for easier debugging. Main downsides of it are that the memory topology isn't quite as good (though at speeds below 7200 that isn't going to matter) and you'd have to do a BIOS update, but since you'd need to do a BIOS update with either board I'd probably swap to that. 

Other things I might do are swap the RAM and cooler. The 14700K can get insanely hot under full load, and you really should be aiming for a 360mm AIO if you can, especially since they're about the same cost as the DRP4. As for the RAM, it's basically the same price to get a 6400 CL32 kit which will be a little faster, so you might as well get the performance upgrade. 

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/qXRDkJ

14 hours ago, Zando_ said:

Looks like a solid list. I would try and get a non-F chip if possible though, Intel QuickSync - leveraging the iGPU for encode/decode tasks - can help a lot if you're doing that video editing in Premier (to the point that Intel's mainstream chips regularly beat their own HEDT offerings in that use case), and is helpful in other things sometimes too. May be able to get a cheaper motherboard as well, pinging @RONOTHAN## for that. 

Thanks a lot to both of you for your help and advice!

For my usage (ie digital painting, VR, light video editing), would be the 14700 + 4070 a good combination? I have been told that the AMD 7700x may be a slightly better for Photoshop - and less expensive - option. Would it be correct?

Or even any other AMD CPU? 

Thanks again!

4 hours ago, Foolas said:

Thanks a lot to both of you for your help and advice!

For my usage (ie digital painting, VR, light video editing), would be the 14700 + 4070 a good combination? I have been told that the AMD 7700x may be a slightly better for Photoshop - and less expensive - option. Would it be correct?

Or even any other AMD CPU? 

Thanks again!

The benchmarks suggest that AMD do not perform as well as Intel counterparts. See https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/14th-gen-intel-core-processors-content-creation-review/#Graphic_Design_Adobe_Photoshop

The i7-14700K(F) is an excellent choice for this use case.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.