Different DRAM manufacturers

Hey guys,

I decided I'd upgrade my PC which I am 99% of the time using for productivity work nowadays, such as Lightroom and Photoshop with occasionally editing some videos.

I upgraded my Ryzen 5 1600x to a Ryzen 7 5700x. In addition, I upgraded my RAM capacity from 16 to 32GB. However, while I don't intend to OC everything to squeeze out every last bit of potential, I'd still like to optimize things such as activating XMP and slightly undervolting the CPU. My GTX 1070 is OC'd since a few years and running stable.

The RAM sticks however seem to have different DRAM manufacturers. I've read about this a little bit online but am still confused. Now I'd like to find out whether or not I should go through the hassle of exchanging my new RAM kit in order to match my previous kit's DRAM manufacturer. Here's the stats that I found using CPU-Z:

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz C15 XMP 2.0

CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

DDR4-2998

CL15

What's different is the DRAM Manufacturer. Two sticks are Micron, the other two are Samsung. I am not sure right now which are which, but I suppose I could find out if it matters.

Now the question is: Does this matter? Am I okay running XMP profiles with these kits that are almost the same? Are there any caveats? I read a lot of different and partially strong opinions and low key which I didn't stumble upon this topic. Also, should I enable XMP profile 1 or 2? In my MSI B450M Pro VHD Plus BIOS both rofiles have the same specs.

One more thing I just noted: The RAM should be CL15. However, CPU-Z says it's running CL16. Do I need to configure something differently?

image.png.e1764b5f4b3e5498e628d9f5647cfa55.png

Thank you all and sorry, I know this topic has been covered before, but if someone could break it down so that I can wrap my mind around it that would be fantastic. I am struggling with all the information out there.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600X  |  Nvidia Gainward GTX 1070  |  Windows 10 Home

MSI B450M Pro-VDH Plus  |  2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 C15  |  SSD - 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe M.2 2280  |  500W be quiet! Pure Power 11

There is no simple answer. In theory XMP should work fine and timings should be auto set to the slowest kit in the system for stability. That said, it will wildly differ from motherboard to motherboard and what kind of BIOS version you've got.

If Gear Down Mode is enabled you can only set even timings if you set uneven number then it will self adjust to the higher even value, that's why CL15 results in CL16.

I'm not sure if it's related to all timings or just some though.

12 minutes ago, kriegisyourbae said:

Now the question is: Does this matter?

As said above: it might, it might not. With mixed sticks (or even the same ones, tbh) It is just trial and error, but since you're mainly using the PC for productivity I'd prioritise stability over getting every last 0.x% from the sticks.

Post the CPU-Z SPD tab, with each of the module types selected.

In general, if you turn XMP on, and it works stably, just leave it. Not really worth tinkering beyond that.

1 hour ago, kriegisyourbae said:

Two sticks are Micron, the other two are Samsung.

This is one of the annoying things with enthusiast ram module makers. They can and do change chips ay any time for the same name product. No real great way around it.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

Post the CPU-Z SPD tab, with each of the module types selected.

image.png.05c92ec10b2fb5ab446e9c218ca560df.png  image.png.7bf243d521d4d88379db5d9bbd3b0acb.png

image.png.d9a4637a3dea14f923f67bf13604fc06.png  image.png.c1a8661c1af1cc0045fb2e2ba8635fe6.png

I hope these help. XMP profiles 1 and 2 don't seem to differ on the surface, but I didn't check every little detail. I'm currently running XMP profile 2, time will show whether it is stable or not.

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

If Gear Down Mode is enabled you can only set even timings if you set uneven number then it will self adjust to the higher even value, that's why CL15 results in CL16.

Is that generally something I can configure? And if, would that even make any sense?

1 hour ago, Tetras said:

since you're mainly using the PC for productivity I'd prioritise stability over getting every last 0.x% from the sticks.

Are you saying that the whole topic only really matters if you want to squeeze out every last percent of optimization? If for productivity and stability purposes this isn't of much relevance, I'll probably just live with it.

MSI B450M Pro-VDH Plus  |  2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 C15  |  SSD - 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe M.2 2280  |  500W be quiet! Pure Power 11

6 minutes ago, porina said:

This is one of the annoying things with enthusiast ram module makers.

Although its typical for Corsair LPX, part of why its specifically never recommended in enthusiast circles. 

Just now, kriegisyourbae said:

I hope these help. XMP profiles 1 and 2 don't seem to differ on the surface, but I didn't check every little detail. I'm currently running XMP profile 2, time will show whether it is stable or not.

If its working, just leave it. Nothing else to really gain here. 

Just now, GuiltySpark_ said:

Although its typical for Corsair LPX, part of why its specifically never recommended in enthusiast circles. 

I think I was on a very tight budget when I originally built the PC. Except mainboard and RAM pretty much every component was used.

1 hour ago, kriegisyourbae said:

Are you saying that the whole topic only really matters if you want to squeeze out every last percent of optimization? If for productivity and stability purposes this isn't of much relevance, I'll probably just live with it.

Yes, if it is working fine at 1500/3000 with 4 mismatched 1500/3000 sticks (albeit C16 instead of C15), I'd consider that a win and forget about it.