Antivirus for business use

I work for an IT company where we sell antivirus solutions.

We currently sell AVG Internet security.

Is there any alternative that are better than this and is AVG still any good?

Is there any where I can monitor systems and get alerted when threats / attacks occur.

I don't even consider antivirus software a legitimate service anymore these days. Most OS do a fine job of virus protection on their own, and I would only download antivirus software temporarily for scans only IF I think my PC has been compromised.

But maybe I'm just jaded

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

First off, I think it's weird that someone who works for an IT company, needs the help/advise of some internet forum to decide what services to provide. Not trying to diss you or anything, but I'd expect you to keep up with that sort of stuff. It's your job.

Having said that, I agree with @ItTakes2ToMango. Security researchers (Tavis Ormandy is notable) have found time and time again that most antivirus products are actual garbage and increase a PC's attack vector. Microsoft seems to have it pretty tightly locked down, but even they've had some exploitable bugs in their AV engine.

So if you absolutely must provide antivirus, I'd just go with MS Defender for Business.

Microsoft Defender is good enough.

If you insist on running a third party antivirus, Sophos always gets my vote.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I have just left college and the company that I have started working for is small and seems quite old fashioned as we include a 1 year AVG license with each new machine. I personal agree @ItTakes2ToMango but the guy I work for is adamant that he wants a 3rd party solution as he believes that Microsoft is not good enough.

Appreciate the recommendations / Help

56 minutes ago, QuantumGamer169 said:

I have just left college and the company that I have started working for is small and seems quite old fashioned as we include a 1 year AVG license with each new machine. I personal agree @ItTakes2ToMango but the guy I work for is adamant that he wants a 3rd party solution as he believes that Microsoft is not good enough.

Appreciate the recommendations / Help

I'd be adamant towards the guy that I work for about needing to update his information. I'm tired of business operators in the tech industry holding onto information they learned pre-2015. Hell, pre-2020. If you learned it more than 3 years ago and its about tech, it's probably irrelevant now.

I do not have any antivirus recommendations as I do not recommend them. It's that simple

@Needfuldoeris a prominent tech on this forum and said he recommends Sophos, so I would take that for what it is

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

1 hour ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

I'd be adamant towards the guy that I work for about needing to update his information. I'm tired of business operators in the tech industry holding onto information they learned pre-2015. Hell, pre-2020. If you learned it more than 3 years ago and its about tech, it's probably irrelevant now.

I do not have any antivirus recommendations as I do not recommend them. It's that simple

@Needfuldoeris a prominent tech on this forum and said he recommends Sophos, so I would take that for what it is

The guy I work with has just turn 60 a few months ago and has been in the industry for a while at this point. Sadly most of the practices seem really outdated. I have just left college and currently in part time university they have got me on board to try and modernize it a bit. 

Think I will take a look into MS Defender for Business as we have started offing Microsoft 365 to our customer base. 

Appreciate the advice.