Retro Gaming in 2023??

scarlet._.noir

So basically im building a gaming room for the past 2 years or so and I've been thinking of making a retro Gaming machine with windows xp.

Now i have Dell optiplex gx240 but i think its weak even for games from its age. Anyhow here are the specs for the Dell optiplex.

-Pentium 4 @ 1.70GHz

-80 GB HDD

-1 GB DDR2 RAM

NO GPU

So i want to know can i upgrade the machine alittle and run some old school games and if i can what exactly should i upgrade...or i should just spend money on a new build 

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, SimplyChunk said:

This vid is the perfect example of a retro XP machine

XP is retro now? crap I feel old

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

29 minutes ago, scarlet._.noir said:

So basically im building a gaming room for the past 2 years or so and I've been thinking of making a retro Gaming machine with windows xp.

Now i have Dell optiplex gx240 but i think its weak even for games from its age. Anyhow here are the specs for the Dell optiplex.

-Pentium 4 @ 1.70GHz

-80 GB HDD

-1 GB DDR2 RAM

NO GPU

So i want to know can i upgrade the machine alittle and run some old school games and if i can what exactly should i upgrade...or i should just spend money on a new build 

Thanks!

You will want a gpu. But being an optiplex, that could be problematic. Does it have an agp or pci slot? That cpu is on the slow side. Is it socket 478?

18 minutes ago, Ripred said:

XP is retro now? crap I feel old

Well im 15 and i grew up with XP so ig its old XD

7 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

You will want a gpu. But being an optiplex, that could be problematic. Does it have an agp or pci slot? That cpu is on the slow side. Is it socket 478?

For the socket im not aure can't find anything online but for the Pcie ut has 16x Gen 1 i think

1 hour ago, scarlet._.noir said:

For the socket im not aure can't find anything online but for the Pcie ut has 16x Gen 1 i think

Are you sure it's Pci-e? I think it is agp. Can you take a picture of the motherboard?

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

Are you sure it's Pci-e? I think it is agp. Can you take a picture of the motherboard?

Okay so apparently its not Pci-*e* its just Pci and no i can't take pic because its at my house but i can show you this

Screenshot_20231130_181740_Samsung Notes.jpg

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

I want to upgrade the ram somehow i red that the max is 1 gb ram but is there any way i can upgrade it (im down for buying a second hand xp machine too)

5 hours ago, scarlet._.noir said:

-Pentium 4 @ 1.70GHz

-80 GB HDD

-1 GB DDR2 RAM

NO GPU

Thanks!

EDITED:
OK - First off the specs for that one are weak, even for a Socket 775 P4 based machine so you'd want something better at least.

You're also working with a Dell, which is known for not having much of anything in it (The BIOS) you can tweak - It's essentially an office machine instead of a machine that gamers back then would have used for a build.

There are some options available but I'd have to say the one you have now isn't suitable for any real gaming period.

I'd have to suggest at least a dual core, an E8400 (Wolfdale) would be good enough to base it all on, problem would be to find a good board but even those can be found without too much trouble, just don't expect to find the "Top" boards easily or cheap because you won't.

The three namebrands from back then to look for would be Asus, DFI and Gigabyte with other makes being kinda "Meh" but still useable if you can't find anything else.

If you're simply going to use what you've got that's OK but it's just not going to perform as well as other setups would.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

If you want to cover all bases with XP, basically build a windows vista spec machine. Since if it could run vista “games for windows live” era stuff like halo 2 and gta iv, it’ll run anything on xp as well.

Core2duos or core2 quads, at least 4gb of ddr2, machines of that era will have sata so you can use regular sata ssds which will make them bearable by modern standards. Usually anything core2 for lga 775 will have pcie though there are exceptions which use agp even alongside pcie if you wanted. And with a GPU basically anything era high end like an 8800 GTX or 9800 GTX, or a bit newer but midrange like a 560ti.

This is to cover all of what could be considered “windows xp”. If you narrow it down to a specific era then things get wildly different. My XP machine for example is based around 2003/2004, so it’s not going to play later XP compatible stuff like halo 2.

But then just the same you can natively run xp without issue on like, haswell and Maxwell. An i7 4771 and GTX 980 is what I’ve seen a coworker use for “retro gaming” because you can just install XP on that and the drivers work and it plays everything great, just a bit excessive imo.

Good thing about 775 is the range of things that can be used, depending on the board and chip.
Anything from AGP to PCI-E are all covered and even RAM used varies too - Could be DDR, DDR2 or DDR3 which makes that socket VERY easy to find parts for but it depends on the exact specs of the machine (Board and chip) in question.

6 minutes ago, 8tg said:

If you want to cover all bases with XP, basically build a windows vista spec machine. Since if it could run vista “games for windows live” era stuff like halo 2 and gta iv, it’ll run anything on xp as well.

Core2duos or core2 quads, at least 4gb of ddr2, machines of that era will have sata so you can use regular sata ssds which will make them bearable by modern standards. Usually anything core2 for lga 775 will have pcie though there are exceptions which use agp even alongside pcie if you wanted. And with a GPU basically anything era high end like an 8800 GTX or 9800 GTX, or a bit newer but midrange like a 560ti.

This is to cover all of what could be considered “windows xp”. If you narrow it down to a specific era then things get wildly different. My XP machine for example is based around 2003/2004, so it’s not going to play later XP compatible stuff like halo 2.

But then just the same you can natively run xp without issue on like, haswell and Maxwell. An i7 4771 and GTX 980 is what I’ve seen a coworker use for “retro gaming” because you can just install XP on that and the drivers work and it plays everything great, just a bit excessive imo.

Good point - Even something like Socket 1155 can do XP no problem, perform great with it and there are plenty of those out there parts-wise to be found for such a build.
Even something that's AM3 (AMD) based would be fine like an Asus board paired with something like a good Phenom II chip is more than suitable, a Phenom II 960T for example would make a good, solid XP gamer and probrably run anything XP is capable of supporting with ease.

Lots of options to explore here.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

4 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

which makes that socket VERY easy to find parts for but it depends on the exact specs of the machine (Board and chip) in question.

Absolutely this is the best benefit of lga 775 in retrospective now. If you want to build a 775 machine, of course youre still bound by the cpu generation and ram type (kinda), but then any cooler will work. And 775 as a whole is new enough where even the earliest boards have sata, they use an atx power supply normally where molex can be optional. Its convenient. 

My earliest 775 board is a gigabyte 925x board, the dawn of 775, and it has 6 ecc ddr2 slots, pcie 1.0, a whole bunch of sata, usb, even a weird vrm expansion card. But this board only supports the early 775 pentium 4's.

8anxp-d-board.jpg.ead9206cb783c713ec2628cb31ad3a46.jpg

The newest is an msi p45 board, the "memorylover", which supports up to the very last lga 775 core2quads, and goes all the way back to support the earliest pentium 4's. It takes up to 16gb of ddr2 OR 8gb of ddr3. 

board.thumb.jpg.3ca8060dc85226024e491ddf95ce8ddf.jpg

So both of these boards theoretically if you start with ddr2 and a pentium 4 are entirely interchangeable regardless of what other hardware you have on it. Your drives swap over, they use the same power connectors, they have the same pcie slot, etc

2 hours ago, 8tg said:

Absolutely this is the best benefit of lga 775 in retrospective now. If you want to build a 775 machine, of course youre still bound by the cpu generation and ram type (kinda), but then any cooler will work. And 775 as a whole is new enough where even the earliest boards have sata, they use an atx power supply normally where molex can be optional. Its convenient. 

My earliest 775 board is a gigabyte 925x board, the dawn of 775, and it has 6 ecc ddr2 slots, pcie 1.0, a whole bunch of sata, usb, even a weird vrm expansion card. But this board only supports the early 775 pentium 4's.

8anxp-d-board.jpg.ead9206cb783c713ec2628cb31ad3a46.jpg

The newest is an msi p45 board, the "memorylover", which supports up to the very last lga 775 core2quads, and goes all the way back to support the earliest pentium 4's. It takes up to 16gb of ddr2 OR 8gb of ddr3. 

board.thumb.jpg.3ca8060dc85226024e491ddf95ce8ddf.jpg

So both of these boards theoretically if you start with ddr2 and a pentium 4 are entirely interchangeable regardless of what other hardware you have on it. Your drives swap over, they use the same power connectors, they have the same pcie slot, etc

(that is alot of information) but the thing is that i don't live in the US or Canada and finding boards like these will be hard to find but cheap cuz i live in Bulgaria and most sellers don't know the true price of old components like these 
Also an other option i have is instead of building it to but a prebuild or not exactly... i mean here is a PC the got my attention
(Its from Bulgaria site so keep that in mind https://www.olx.bg/d/ad/nastolen-kompyutar-CID632-ID99vPU.html?reason=observed_ad)
Translation : 
ASRock N61P-S motherboard, socket AM2+, with built-in GeForce 6 series video card.
Processor: AMD Athlon X2 250 (at 3Ghz)
RAM: 3GB DDR2 (Kingston 2GB and pq1 1GB)
Video card: AMD Radeon HD3650 (by Gigabyte)
Two hard drives - one 40GB (drive C is on it) and one with 192GB space.
CD/DVD - I honestly don't know if it works. I haven't tried it.
Operating system : Windows 7 Home 64-bit version. Настолен компютърНастолен компютърНастолен компютърНастолен компютър

2 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Good thing about 775 is the range of things that can be used, depending on the board and chip.
Anything from AGP to PCI-E are all covered and even RAM used varies too - Could be DDR, DDR2 or DDR3 which makes that socket VERY easy to find parts for but it depends on the exact specs of the machine (Board and chip) in question.

Good point - Even something like Socket 1155 can do XP no problem, perform great with it and there are plenty of those out there parts-wise to be found for such a build.
Even something that's AM3 (AMD) based would be fine like an Asus board paired with something like a good Phenom II chip is more than suitable, a Phenom II 960T for example would make a good, solid XP gamer and probrably run anything XP is capable of supporting with ease.

Lots of options to explore here.

i want it to be able to talk tru Discord and yes i mean i can use my phone,laptop or Main PC but sometimes friends comeover and we talk tru Discord PLUS i want to stream from the pc using my Main Pc as encoding machine

10 minutes ago, scarlet._.noir said:

i want it to be able to talk tru Discord and yes i mean i can use my phone,laptop or Main PC but sometimes friends comeover and we talk tru Discord PLUS i want to stream from the pc using my Main Pc as encoding machine

Then you'd need a setup with some power behind it for the streaming part.
The one you pictured (AM2+) is well...... OK but you'd really want something with a little more "Punch" to it if you can get it. I'm aware the board in that one is a budget board so you won't be able to pop in something like a 6 core Phenom II (Would probrably blow out the VRM's under load) and it's really suited for what's in it now, even a quad core Phenom II would probrably be too much for it over the long haul. 

Good thing about 775 is there are some Gigabyte boards out there that are good and can run a chip that will do the job such as this example:
It's a Gigabyte GA EP45T-UD3LR  and anything like it or even close will do.
Gigabyte Technology GA-EP45T-UD3LR, LGA 775/Socket T, Intel Motherboard for sale online | eBay
Note this is just an example - I don't expect you to try and get this particular one - I'm just showing you the board for reference.

There are variants out there of a Gigabyte that's good too but if you decide to grab one, do try to get one that's a P43 or P45 for best results if you can and they are out there.
Any P35, P43, or P45 chipped board is fine and of the X series an X48 chipped board is what you'd want to get if looking at one of those.
There are also a P-965S chipped boards that can get it done too but I'd stay within these parameters, most anything else isn't worth your time or money.

As for chips to go in them:
The P35 ,P43 and P45 boards can run a quad core with ease, esp the P43 and P45 boards.
An X48 or P-965S boards run dual cores fine (Think Wolfdale / E8400 for example) but in truth they really don't "Like" quad core chips.... Some will run them just fine, others won't be too happy about it.

Those are the overall things to know about Socket 775 with the chips and boards available.

Cool computer!

I've been playing on an Asus eeePC 4G Surf (701) with XP installed on it. But I use it for earlier 2D games (like Sim Tower). 4GB SSD and 2GB RAM.

7 hours ago, scarlet._.noir said:

Okay so apparently its not Pci-*e* its just Pci and no i can't take pic because its at my house but i can show you this

From what I can find online, it IS agp on those machines. But as others have posted, there are better options taht aren't as old. However, if you already have this machine, no harm in trying it.

9 hours ago, 8tg said:

980 need a driver mod to work last gpu to work is 960. but some say the 780 is faster...🤷‍♂️ (well titan x maxwell  is the so called fastest)

gtx 275 is mid gpu. but the 8800 would be popular but they might cost more because so. some say they got it working with 98 but i dont no🤷‍♂️ and alot of people oced them and killed em.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

windows 7 had xp built in to one of the versions

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links