Help figuring out new house setup

m1lk3y

So my sister just moved into a new house and has been having trouble with her wifi lately. The ISP set up their modem/router combo downstairs in their bedroom closet, and my sisters work computer is upstairs on the other side of the house. The wifi where she set up her PC is very slow due to long distance/walls etc making it a bad connection, and the only Ethernet port in the room where she has her PC set up is on the ceiling, with no power outlet by it, so obviously she doesn't want to run a cable from the ceiling down to her PC. They wound up purchasing a PoE access point, even though I told them they would need a power injector for it as well (they didn't get one). I just want to make sure with some folks who actually understand this equipment, will the injector that I linked below work if they plug it in to power where the router is in the closet and run the power through the CAT5E cable that's in the wall?

For context, this is the AP that they purchased: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BX4QXMLT?ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_9C4ZHA2Y27Y5PQZ1PFV2&language=en-US&th=1

Would something like this TP link injector work for their situation? :https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PoE150S-Injector-Adapter-Compliant/dp/B001PS9E5I

I feel like it would, but I just wanted some second opinions! Thanks

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core 3.7 GHz Socket AM4 105W || NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler || MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI AM4 AMD X570 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard || CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) || SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express Gen 4.0 x4 || SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2280 500GB PCIe Gen 3.0 x4 || Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive || MSI RTX 3080 GAMING Z TRIO 10G LHR || Fractal Design Meshify 2 Black ATX Flexible Dark Tinted Tempered Glass Window || Seasonic FOCUS GX-850, 850W 80+ Gold, Full-Modular || Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit || Logitech - G502 Proteus Core Wireless Optical Mouse || Input Club K-Type w/ Ajazz Kiwi Switches

It looks like that should work. I have a bit of a similar situation. When my house was built (10 years ago and I am second owner), the contractor put the Ethernet terminations OUTSIDE of my house where the electrical comes into the house from the street for both electricity and data (TV cable and POTS/now Fiber). There is no available electrical power at this location. I had two Ethernet drops going to the location outside from my home office - I used one to send POE/data from my main 16-port POE Unifi switch to a small 8-port Unifi POE-powered switch at the drop location outside which just barely fits inside the plastic termination box. POE powers up that 8-port switch and sends data to the other Ethernet drop locations within my house, plus I also got one POE output from that 8-port Unifi switch to an AP downstairs. I would have preferred that the contractor that built my house had terminated the TV cables and Ethernet either at the alarm panel upstairs closet or downstairs in the mechanical room for easier access and maintenance.

Your sister's situation would be somewhat similar. You're right that you'd put the POE injector at where the modem/router is and push data and power down that wire to upstairs office and then hook up the POE AP there. The one run I have from the outside down to the Unifi AP is pretty long and there is no issues with data or power getting to it. I'm not super familiar with the EnGenius brand though. According the marketing schpeel they show, it works in Flower Shops - that is such a huge market. lol

Honestly it will probably work but I'd play it safe and get a PoE+ injector (30w) instead just in case the AP wants more power than the TP-Link can provide at boot (15.4w max on the TP-Link).

https://www.amazon.com/EnGenius-Technologies-802-3AT-Gigabit-EPA5006GAT/dp/B015IGJMGS/

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

20 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Honestly it will probably work but I'd play it safe and get a PoE+ injector (30w) instead just in case the AP wants more power than the TP-Link can provide at boot (15.4w max on the TP-Link).

https://www.amazon.com/EnGenius-Technologies-802-3AT-Gigabit-EPA5006GAT/dp/B015IGJMGS/

@m1lk3y - The injector that Lurick linked to is suggested and found to work by other Amazon users of the AP selected. You didn't need to look far for a PoE injector.