Jump to content

Troubling selecting GPU upgrade for prebuilt computer

TheLightBringer
Go to solution Solved by Hinjima,
12 hours ago, TheLightBringer said:

Looking at the actual computer specs it looks like i may have an older prebuilt. the pcessor is an i5-10400. Would that GPU recommendation still work?

 

I'm also having an issue finding a PSU that will fit. Model is PA-2301-3. From my measurements it needs to be (W X L X H): 3.25" x 6" x 2.125" Max (8.255cm X 15.24cm X 5.3975cm)

 

image.png

PXL_20231129_030813852.jpg

Hey! Sorry for the late reply, I live in Norway and it was almost 3 in the morning 😄

 

The i5-10400 is still a decent gaming processor, its only 3 years old and packs 6 cores and 12 threads.

 

Problem I am seeing here is that the motherboard is a proprietary custom board by ASUS so it doesn't use the standard 24pin and 8 pin CPU power connector.
This is very common in PreBuilt workstations like this one.

I seem to spot an 6pin and a 4pin with no standard 24pin connector.

You would have to find a more powerful PSU with the same connectors, I have no idea where to start looking.

 

Nothing is stopping you from having something larger with the sidepanel off, many people run without a sidepanel when they customize small proprietary cases like this one. It doesn't look pretty but it can certainly work 🙂

But again, its a PSU issue.

Budget (including currency): $500 CAD

Country: Canada

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Phasmophobia, Demonologist, Guild wars 2, lethal company, TTS, etc.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Bought my wife a prebuilt computer from best buy (D700SC-XH704). It has an integrated gpu that isn't good for much so we've been using the Geforce now service for her to play games. Luckily the motherboard has a slot for a GPU. As she has started playing more and more PC games we have started to outgrow geforce now service as the titles arent available (Lethal Company for example).

I am having trouble finding a GPU that will fit in the case and be good enough so that she can atleast meet the minimums to run a lot of these games.

 

I currently use a GTX 1070 so something similar in performance would be ideal.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, TheLightBringer said:

Budget (including currency): $500 CAD

Country: Canada

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Phasmophobia, Demonologist, Guild wars 2, lethal company, TTS, etc.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Bought my wife a prebuilt computer from best buy (D700SC-XH704). It has an integrated gpu that isn't good for much so we've been using the Geforce now service for her to play games. Luckily the motherboard has a slot for a GPU. As she has started playing more and more PC games we have started to outgrow geforce now service as the titles arent available (Lethal Company for example).

I am having trouble finding a GPU that will fit in the case and be good enough so that she can atleast meet the minimums to run a lot of these games.

 

I currently use a GTX 1070 so something similar in performance would be ideal.

 

The problem here is the computers 300w powersupply. 

You can buy a Nvidia GTX 1650 or a Radeon RX 6400. They are both 75 watt cards that run off the motherboards GPU slot for power and do not require external power.


That being said, the 1070 you use is around 35-50% faster ( depending on the game of course ) than each of these options.

 

The processor in this machine is actually a very good gaming processor, we are sadly limited by the 300w power supply that is in this machine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

The problem here is the computers 300w powersupply. 

You can buy a Nvidia GTX 1650 or a Radeon RX 6400. They are both 75 watt cards that run off the motherboards GPU slot for power and do not require external power.


That being said, the 1070 you use is around 35-50% faster ( depending on the game of course ) than each of these options.

 

The processor in this machine is actually a very good gaming processor, we are sadly limited by the 300w power supply that is in this machine.

I am good for upgrading the PSU as well. those are relatively cheap for the most part. My issue is just making sure everything fits, the case is pretty compact and I think the height available for a GPU is a bit more than 2"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, TheLightBringer said:

I am good for upgrading the PSU as well. those are relatively cheap for the most part. My issue is just making sure everything fits, the case is pretty compact and I think the height available for a GPU is a bit more than 2"

Just dont get a dangerously cheap PSU 🙂
Gigabyte actually sell a very low profile RTX 4060 that is a decent pair with the processor in this machine.

Its on the expensive side but it is within your budget as well.

This might be a nice option if you opt to get a new power supply.

The 4060 8gb only uses 110w so a solid 450-550w will do the trick.

Item dimensions L x W x H‎   18.2 x 6.9 x 3.6 Centimetres
https://www.amazon.ca/Gigabyte-GeForce-Graphics-WINDFORCE-GV-N4060OC-8GL/dp/B0CDJLSZ73/ref=sr_1_1?crid=28UFG0DXOEBNV&keywords=GIGABYTE+GeForce+RTX+4060+OC+Low+Profile&qid=1701224130&sprefix=gigabyte+geforce+rtx+4060+oc+low+profile%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hinjima said:

Just dont get a dangerously cheap PSU 🙂
Gigabyte actually sell a very low profile RTX 4060 that is a decent pair with the processor in this machine.

Its on the expensive side but it is within your budget as well.

This might be a nice option if you opt to get a new power supply.

The 4060 8gb only uses 110w so a solid 450-550w will do the trick.

Item dimensions L x W x H‎   18.2 x 6.9 x 3.6 Centimetres
https://www.amazon.ca/Gigabyte-GeForce-Graphics-WINDFORCE-GV-N4060OC-8GL/dp/B0CDJLSZ73/ref=sr_1_1?crid=28UFG0DXOEBNV&keywords=GIGABYTE+GeForce+RTX+4060+OC+Low+Profile&qid=1701224130&sprefix=gigabyte+geforce+rtx+4060+oc+low+profile%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-1

Looking at the actual computer specs it looks like i may have an older prebuilt. the pcessor is an i5-10400. Would that GPU recommendation still work?

 

I'm also having an issue finding a PSU that will fit. Model is PA-2301-3. From my measurements it needs to be (W X L X H): 3.25" x 6" x 2.125" Max (8.255cm X 15.24cm X 5.3975cm)

 

image.png

PXL_20231129_030813852.jpg

Edited by TheLightBringer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, TheLightBringer said:

Looking at the actual computer specs it looks like i may have an older prebuilt. the pcessor is an i5-10400. Would that GPU recommendation still work?

 

I'm also having an issue finding a PSU that will fit. Model is PA-2301-3. From my measurements it needs to be (W X L X H): 3.25" x 6" x 2.125" Max (8.255cm X 15.24cm X 5.3975cm)

 

image.png

PXL_20231129_030813852.jpg

Hey! Sorry for the late reply, I live in Norway and it was almost 3 in the morning 😄

 

The i5-10400 is still a decent gaming processor, its only 3 years old and packs 6 cores and 12 threads.

 

Problem I am seeing here is that the motherboard is a proprietary custom board by ASUS so it doesn't use the standard 24pin and 8 pin CPU power connector.
This is very common in PreBuilt workstations like this one.

I seem to spot an 6pin and a 4pin with no standard 24pin connector.

You would have to find a more powerful PSU with the same connectors, I have no idea where to start looking.

 

Nothing is stopping you from having something larger with the sidepanel off, many people run without a sidepanel when they customize small proprietary cases like this one. It doesn't look pretty but it can certainly work 🙂

But again, its a PSU issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×