New GPU, Three Issues. Temperature, Crashing, and Flickering.

I've just bought a new (to me) Gigabyte Vision RTX 3070 and I am having a couple of issues.

The first issue I am having is heat. It is heating up to 85C, and the fans are running at full speed. Airflow isn't an issue - if I take off the side panel this still happens. I know 85C isn't an issue in itself, but it is causing it to lower the boost clock to keep the temperature from going higher, which it shouldn't have to do. It is loud and I feel it should / could be performing better.

The next (and more major) issue I am having is that I am experiencing crashes. I find that sometimes my screen will randomly go blank, my monitor will go into standby, and nothing responds, meaning I have to press the reset button on my case. This is worst case scenario - sometimes the game just crashes, but one of the two will almost definitely happen if the GPU is under heavy load. This only happens when the GPU is under load.

The last issue I am having is I have noticed that when i enable G-Sync i get some flickering in some games. I understand this can be caused by the game FPS exceeding the possible refresh rate of the monitor. This is strange as I enable an fps limit at 144fps, V-Sync is on and my monitor is set up correctly. I am at a loss with this one, but I haven't looked into this too much due to the time taken up by the previous issues.

Tomorrow when I get a chance, I am going to use two separate PCIe power cables, as opposed to one split cable. I have heard mixed opinions on whether this makes a difference or not, but I feel it is definitely worth a try before trying to get my money back for the card (if I can).

Does anyone have any other suggestions for what I can try? I am aware that I can try undervolting for the GPU; if changing the power cables resolves the instability, I will also look into that and see what can be done. Any advice relating to that would also be appreciated.

I have just upgraded from an RTX 2060 Super and I had neither of these issues.

My PC specs:

Ryzen 7 5800X (NO OC)

Asus Rog Strix B550-A Motherboard

32GB DDR4-3600MHz (D.O.C.P)

Corsair RM750x 750 watt PSU

1440p 144hz HDR10 Monitor

Sorry this is so long. Any advice / suggestions would be strongly appreciated.

Thanks.

On 11/28/2023 at 11:58 PM, ph1l1p_race_ said:

I've just bought a new (to me) Gigabyte Vision RTX 3070 and I am having a couple of issues.

The first issue I am having is heat. It is heating up to 85C, and the fans are running at full speed. Airflow isn't an issue - if I take off the side panel this still happens. I know 85C isn't an issue in itself, but it is causing it to lower the boost clock to keep the temperature from going higher, which it shouldn't have to do. It is loud and I feel it should / could be performing better.

The next (and more major) issue I am having is that I am experiencing crashes. I find that sometimes my screen will randomly go blank, my monitor will go into standby, and nothing responds, meaning I have to press the reset button on my case. This is worst case scenario - sometimes the game just crashes, but one of the two will almost definitely happen if the GPU is under heavy load. This only happens when the GPU is under load.

The last issue I am having is I have noticed that when i enable G-Sync i get some flickering in some games. I understand this can be caused by the game FPS exceeding the possible refresh rate of the monitor. This is strange as I enable an fps limit at 144fps, V-Sync is on and my monitor is set up correctly. I am at a loss with this one, but I haven't looked into this too much due to the time taken up by the previous issues.

Tomorrow when I get a chance, I am going to use two separate PCIe power cables, as opposed to one split cable. I have heard mixed opinions on whether this makes a difference or not, but I feel it is definitely worth a try before trying to get my money back for the card (if I can).

Does anyone have any other suggestions for what I can try? I am aware that I can try undervolting for the GPU; if changing the power cables resolves the instability, I will also look into that and see what can be done. Any advice relating to that would also be appreciated.

I have just upgraded from an RTX 2060 Super and I had neither of these issues.

My PC specs:

Ryzen 7 5800X (NO OC)

Asus Rog Strix B550-A Motherboard

32GB DDR4-3600MHz (D.O.C.P)

Corsair RM750x 750 watt PSU

1440p 144hz HDR10 Monitor

Sorry this is so long. Any advice / suggestions would be strongly appreciated.

Thanks.

What's the rest of the temperatures sitting at? If you could post a hwinfo screenshot after a relatively long gaming session that might be useful.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset