Upgrade 5600x to 5800x3D or save for new platform?

Zhiree

Budget (including currency): 300 vs 700ish EUR

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly gaming, cyberpunk, starfield, modded skyrim, plan to play newer titles whenever something interesting comes along

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Current CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x

Current GPU: RTX 3090 Gaming Trio /w EK Vector Trio

CPU Cooler: EK Velocity2 water block - custom water cooling loop with 360 + 240 radiators / 8 fans

Case: Lian Li O11D

Current PSU: Cooler Master Gold V2 750W 80+Gold 

Resolution and framerate: 1440P ultra-wide @ 144hz + 1440 @ 75hz

+ Samsung 980 PRO SSD

This is one of the rare times in my life when I feel I have some extra money to spend (I've always been very budget conscious, even my current components have been obtained through luck and good friends), so I thought I would ask for your guys' opinion on the three options that I'm looking at:

1) Be happy with the current setup - it's pretty much as good as it gets with the generation of CPU socket - and leave it as is.

2) Buy the 5800X3D for around 315€ (lowest I've seen it was 295€) and prolong the life of this system, e.g. commit to it for 2 years or so.

3) Splurge on new MoBo, RAM, and CPU (aim for 7800X3D - around 700€ for a new platform) after saving for a few more months.

There is also the fact that I will have to do something about the cooling solution if I upgrade to a new platform. There is some hidden value in the fact that I could pass down components to my partner as she uses a similar system with lower specs. 

Looking forward to hearing your opinions!

2 hours ago, Zhiree said:

2) Buy the 5800X3D for around 315€ (lowest I've seen it was 295€) and prolong the life of this system, e.g. commit to it for 2 years or so.

If you're gaming on 1080p or 1440p, upgrading CPU from 5600X to 5800X3D will have significant jump in performance

You don't have to invest motherboard to upgrade to AM5, 7800X3D does has better performance, but in price to performance comparison, it doesn't seem to worth it especially invest in new motherboard.

I think it's better to keep it to 5800X3D if you value price per performance and the hassle of disassemble your rig

image.thumb.png.8e54f63bdea7fb00bb90263555df425b.png

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Kingston Fury Beast 6000 CL40 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Logitech G203 // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

Samsung M12 (for backup because I'm cheap)

The 5600x is still great.  If you have a framerate that you are happy with, especially if you are hitting your monitor’s refresh rate, keep it.  There’s really no point in upgrading just to upgrade.  Don’t ‘prolong’ the ‘life’ of the system when it’s working fine.  You will know when you need something new, and when that happens the parts available will be cheaper and faster.  

If you are routinely struggling financially, the last thing you should be doing with your savings is wasting it on something meaningless like a CPU (or any PC part) upgrade when you already have a fast system.  Get in the habit of keeping that kind of money, saving it for when you need it for something important.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.