Good upgrade from 9th Gen Intel?

Been rocking 9th gen for... awhile now and I've been pretty happy with it. Specifically an i7 9700k. I also just got a new RX 6700XT (still in the mail, come on UPS hurry up), and the more I use my new framework it's showing that my desktop's CPU is a bit lacking. Don't get me wrong, it works, but it's not quick. Not quite ready for an upgrade, but I'm wondering what would be a good upgrade from this? Been considering finding a used i9-9900K, but that'll be the end of the road for me because... well the Z390 won't go higher than 9th gen. I'm looking for something with a decent upgrade path. I have a preference towards AMD, but honestly I'll go either way.

For gaming the obvious CPU would be Ryzen 7 7800X3D.

All depends on the budget though.

I edit my posts more often than not

2 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

For gaming the obvious CPU would be Ryzen 7 7800X3D.

All depends on the budget though.

I'm mostly looking for CPU under $400, though I'm not familiar with modern CPU pricing. I would like at least 8 cores. Forgot to mention that

Just now, BoredFish said:

I'm mostly looking for CPU under $400, though I'm not familiar with modern CPU pricing. I would like at least 8 cores. Forgot to mention that

In US the 7800X3D is comfortably under $400, so I think that would be the CPU to go after.

I edit my posts more often than not

The 9900K would not be a meaningful upgrade when it comes to gaming performance, so it's good that you're skipping that.

Anything Intel 12th, 13th, or 14th gen from the i5 1X600K series and up would be a big upgrade over what you have now across the board. I'd recommend the i5 13600K or i7 13700K as the under $400 options. The i7 12700K, if you can get it for around $200 like it was around Black Friday, would also be a great choice - it's almost as fast as the i5 13600K, but at that price point is much better value.

For Ryzen, the 7700(X) or 7800X3D would be the way to go if you're just gaming, as they have the best gaming performance on the platform. The Ryzen 7 7700(X) is a fair bit cheaper, but the Ryzen 7 7800X3D is about 20-25% faster on average for gaming performance.

8 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

The 9900K would not be a meaningful upgrade when it comes to gaming performance, so it's good that you're skipping that.

Anything Intel 12th, 13th, or 14th gen from the i5 1X600K series and up would be a big upgrade over what you have now across the board. I'd recommend the i5 13600K or i7 13700K as the under $400 options. The i7 12700K, if you can get it for around $200 like it was around Black Friday, would also be a great choice - it's almost as fast as the i5 13600K, but at that price point is much better value.

For Ryzen, the 7700(X) or 7800X3D would be the way to go if you're just gaming, as they have the best gaming performance on the platform. The Ryzen 7 7700(X) is a fair bit cheaper, but the Ryzen 7 7800X3D is about 20-25% faster on average for gaming performance.

I've been mainly focusing on ryzen lately because AMD seems to be the one actually giving an upgrade path since it feels like intel uses a new socket every 5 minutes. I keep remembering things that I'm not actually mentioning 🙃, but I would use it for gaming AND workstation workloads like Fusion 360, and simulations. Basically engineering things. What would be the platform to go to in terms of like costs on motherboards? I know I'm going to need to go a new mobo any way I go, would intel or AMD be cheaper? Not going for lower end boards, made that mistake with the H310, that board was awful.

1 hour ago, BoredFish said:

I've been mainly focusing on ryzen lately because AMD seems to be the one actually giving an upgrade path since it feels like intel uses a new socket every 5 minutes. I keep remembering things that I'm not actually mentioning 🙃, but I would use it for gaming AND workstation workloads like Fusion 360, and simulations. Basically engineering things. What would be the platform to go to in terms of like costs on motherboards? I know I'm going to need to go a new mobo any way I go, would intel or AMD be cheaper? Not going for lower end boards, made that mistake with the H310, that board was awful.

Motherboard costs are a bit better on the AMD side, but it's not a huge difference. The biggest thing is that, again, Intel is locking out overclocking on everything but their Z series boards. Whereas AMD only locks out overclocking on their A series - so B650 boards have full OC support. Intel does at least allow "memory overclocking" now on boards above their H610 series, so you can properly enable XMP above the officially supported RAM speed on B760 and H770 boards.

When it comes to mixed workloads, Intel is offering better value at the moment. The Core i7 13700K trades blows with the Ryzen 9 7900X in productivity workloads while being faster for gaming and costing less. The Core i5 13600K also is usually faster than the Ryzen 7 7700(X) for productivity workloads while costing less. However, if you want to tinker around with OC, then the platform cost can actually swing things in AMD's favor, as a Ryzen 7 7900X + B650 costs a bit less than a Core i7 13700K + Z790.

That said, Z790 boards tend to have better IO and expansion options than B650 boards, so your needs there might make the Intel option cheaper again as you'd need to move higher up the stack to B650E or X670(E) options to reach feature parity.

The CPU space right now is very competitive, which is great for consumers in the sense that it is bringing down prices and it's hard to make a bad pick. But it does mean that it can be harder to actually choose, as both have pros and cons.

If you care more about upgrade path, but have a mixed workload, then getting a Ryzen 9 7900X isn't a bad option - assuming your workloads can benefit from more cores. It's not as fast for gaming as the Core i7 13700K, and it's a good bit slower than the Ryzen 7 7800X3D, but paired with an RX 6700XT, you wouldn't be able to notice a difference in the vast majority of titles. The differences in gaming performance only really become apparent when paired with an RTX 4090 or RX 7900XTX at 1080p, and all of them are way faster than your 9700K.

With that said, looking around online, it looks like Fusion 360 is not very core heavy - its simulations are often sequential, so it can't be easily parallelized. This would mean that faster single-core performance would be better, and that you might not benefit much from going beyond the Ryzen 7 7700(X) or Core i5 13600K. I dug around online and I wasn't able to find whether the 3D V-Cache on the Ryzen 7 7800X3D helps in Fusion 360. It's possible, as some simulation software benefits, but it's also not very common.

If you do have simulations that can take advantage of more than 8 cores, you could go higher up the product stack, but otherwise, the Ryzen 7 7700(X), Ryzen 7 7800X3D or Core i5 13600K are probably the way to go.