Jump to content

Strange behaviour on X670

BasicContainment

Hey LTT forum, I recently upgraded my i7-8700k system to an R7-7700x and while when it's working it's great there are a few incidents I believe are cause for concern.

They are as follows:

-When I first installed the new components, I had the RAM seated in the slots 0 and 2 closest to the CPU, but the system would not post. My initial thought was this was memory training but after 10/15 minutes I felt this wasn't right. Switching slots booted up after about ~2 mins.

 

-Ryzen Master Utility causes my system to not power on in a similar fashion to the RAM issue, until I clear CMOS. RMU consistently reports being on Auto-OC despite what I apply also. This isn't an issue directly for me, just a cause for concern.

 

-I have had issues with certain games since upgrading, namely CS2 and Elden Ring. Elden Ring refuses to launch at all, greeting me with a blank white screen (with their custom cursor visible) before freezing. CS2 randomly gets corrupted game files when I join a competitive/premiere leading to a ban as Steam gets in a broken state unable to verify or reacquire files (I looked at the dumpfile for this and created a backup and checksum of the mentioned corrupted files, still did not work). I can join deathmatches no issue.

 

My specs are as such:

CPU: R7-7700X

MOBO: ASUS X670E-PRIME-PRO

RAM: 32GB Vengeance 6000MT

GPU: RTX 2080Ti

PSU: 1000W be Quiet! Straight Power 11

Storage (don't think it matters too much but they're amongst the oldest parts): Samsung 960 Pro 512GB & 970 Evo 1TB

 

I was originally on Windows 10 after my upgrade but I reinstalled to 11 to see if there was any improvement. Now latest (11 23H2?)

 

BIOS version is latest as of the 13th of this month (November).

 

Apologies if I missed any information just let me know.

 

Any help or suggestions are appreciated, the only reasonable thing I can think of is reseating the CPU, I think somehow it's stemming from the socket but I'm unsure.

Thanks in advance!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forums!!!

 

1 hour ago, BasicContainment said:

They are as follows:

-When I first installed the new components, I had the RAM seated in the slots 0 and 2 closest to the CPU, but the system would not post. My initial thought was this was memory training but after 10/15 minutes I felt this wasn't right. Switching slots booted up after about ~2 mins.

RAM should be installed in the 2nd and 4th slot away from the CPU socket (A2 and B2). 

 

1 hour ago, BasicContainment said:

RAM: 32GB Vengeance 6000MT

What RAM kit do you have exactly?? Honestly. I'd try another brand as Corsair Vengeance has a history with Ryzen back on AM4 platform for not really working well. 

 

1 hour ago, BasicContainment said:

-Ryzen Master Utility causes my system to not power on in a similar fashion to the RAM issue, until I clear CMOS. RMU consistently reports being on Auto-OC despite what I apply also. This isn't an issue directly for me, just a cause for concern.

IIRC, Ryzen Master will adjust the OC settings in the BIOS upon a reboot after applying the settings. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

 

Main System Specifications: 

 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CommanderAlex said:

Welcome to the forums!!!

 

RAM should be installed in the 2nd and 4th slot away from the CPU socket (A2 and B2). 

 

What RAM kit do you have exactly?? Honestly. I'd try another brand as Corsair Vengeance has a history with Ryzen back on AM4 platform for not really working well. 

 

IIRC, Ryzen Master will adjust the OC settings in the BIOS upon a reboot after applying the settings. 

Thank you for such an informative response!

 

Is RAM going in slot A2 and B2 been best case for a while or new to DDR5? I always thought closest to CPU was best but I may be mistaken.

 

Here is the listing for the exact model I have:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/32gb-2x16gb-corsair-ddr5-vengeance-rgb-pc5-48000-6000-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-30-14v-amd-expo

 

And yeah it's after Ryzen Master restarts my PC gets stuck in what i believe to be mem training - GPU fans go full tilt and no output. Oh another thing to note is that I've noticed sometimes after clearing CMOS after using RMU the POST status LED will go red temporarily (CPU fault?), before the PC just restarts and just boots up like nothings wrong. 

 

Apologies if this isn't in the most readable formatting

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BasicContainment said:

Thank you for such an informative response!

 

Is RAM going in slot A2 and B2 been best case for a while or new to DDR5? I always thought closest to CPU was best but I may be mistaken.

 

Here is the listing for the exact model I have:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/32gb-2x16gb-corsair-ddr5-vengeance-rgb-pc5-48000-6000-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-30-14v-amd-expo

 

And yeah it's after Ryzen Master restarts my PC gets stuck in what i believe to be mem training - GPU fans go full tilt and no output. Oh another thing to note is that I've noticed sometimes after clearing CMOS after using RMU the POST status LED will go red temporarily (CPU fault?), before the PC just restarts and just boots up like nothings wrong. 

 

Apologies if this isn't in the most readable formatting

RAM topology determines which slots must be filled first and not according to which is closest. Been like this for quite a long time now. 

 

For Ryzen Master, quite weird. Double check all your power connections just to make sure they are all fully seated. Check your XMP settings in CPU-Z under the Memory tab and make sure they are the correct timings according to the XMP profile you enable. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

 

Main System Specifications: 

 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×