LTT Video Error Handling Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)

LinusTech
Just now, Anezay said:

Severity tier 1, no action.

I see nice new meme format rising from this (aside from that  it seems like very sensible scale, and actions taken).

I would like to see one thing more, but that's kinda niche topic (but also content):

It could be fun to create new video format for LTT (or any of channels - maybe Floatplane exclusive?) where all/majority/interesting of errors that leaked to the public have their own story, shown and told. Depending on approach that could be very entertaining. I've seen similar idea used in tech companies, as a kinda 'stand-up night' but for fuck ups.

Tom Scott did similar thing, but i sometimes it was blog format, and sometimes it was video compilation.

Thank you to the team for working hard on this, and the huge undertaking this will be moving forward!

16 minutes ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

@LinusTech What about editing errors like the audio out of sync to the video by a fraction of a second, enough to be very annoying as pronunciation no longer matches video?

These problems have occurred dozens of times in the past with LTT and are so annoying that you can't watch the video.

11 minutes ago, Smeeoh said:

When was the last time that happened? 

Sounds like a personal personal computer issue

43 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

we are publishing it in its current form to help our community 

Current form, does that mean that it has or has not been updated since the backlash? 

@LinusTech sounds good Linus, hopefully you won't have to update it anytime soon

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

Looks very reasonable and a step in the right direction!

Obviously this will very much be a work in progress, as no policy is 100%, so I'm sure adjustments will be made along the way. The main thing for me is ensuring this is adhered to at all costs, because once you start letting things slide, it quickly becomes as slippery slope back down to square one. So if the error is such that it requires a re-shoot, the re-shoot needs to happen.

1 minute ago, podkall said:

@LinusTech sounds good Linus, hopefully you won't have to update it anytime soon

wouldn't updating it be a good thing? Because then there are likely improvements. 

Should have already been in place, that said a great step forward good to see the LTT are still with us!

1 minute ago, Woofer21 said:

wouldn't updating it be a good thing? Because then there are likely improvements. 

wouldn't the need to not be updated be even better?

Edited by podkall
edit

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

PCs I used before:

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

1 minute ago, dodger007 said:

Should have already been in place, that said a great step forward good to see the LTT are still with us!

Who said it wasn't already in place? Linus just said they are publishing it in its current form. 

Nice to see the week off was productive.  Looking forward to the new and improved LTT.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Just now, podkall said:

wouldn't the need to not be updated be even better?

I would think improvement is always better then just... not improving 

Just now, dodger007 said:

There is nothing in Linuses post that suggest that policy was created yesterday (or today for that matter). It's a living document so it could be changed/updated recently but some of this seems like at least parts of this were already in place.

I think one potential improvement could be having a centralized place where all published errors are posted, it could be a locked forum thread or an independent web page or something. Pinned comment, and replacing the video is great for new viewers, but if someone has already watched it and has been misinformed, they don't have a way of knowing unless they go back and check every video.  It would be quite useful for viewers that may consider making purchasing decisions based on one of your videos, just go to the centralized error page and control + f the product video to know that they are safe. 

23 minutes ago, Absentia13 said:

The AI voice thing is ridiculous. Honestly, it's literally a 10 second section or something just get the host to record it again or delay the video. 

AI ADR can fix a mistake when it's the only thing holding a video back, and the host has not made themselves available.

Option 1:

Step 1: Acquire RVC

Step 2: Train it on the host in question (takes 20 minutes the first time)

Step 3: Have a generic male/female American English TTS say the correct statement

Step 4: Adjust it to fit the time, and then have RVC turn the generic TTS into the host's voice, alternatively, the editor can use their own voice as the input.)

Step 5: Replace audio

Keep models around in the future if needed to save having to re-train them.

Option 2:

Step 1: Acquire Tortoise/Coqui TTS

Step 2: Train Host voice based on 60 minutes of audio on file (will take a week on a single GPU)

Step 3: Use Host TTS to replace lines. Will not be able to size to fit, so it may require freezing or looping a video shot.

Keep models around on a computer that is not automatically updated (eg a Linux nvidia box) and use this when needed.

2 minutes ago, Woofer21 said:

I would think improvement is always better then just... not improving 

it's like, building a PC that lasts 10+ years, rather than a PC that lasts 1-2 years, (in need of an upgrade soon)

my comment implies, my hope that the plan is like a PC that can last 10+ years, or more...

Edited by podkall
edit

PC:

PCs I used before:

This is almost exactly what the Gamer's Nexus policy on corrections is, so this should be above reproach hopefully.

Now imagine how things would have played out if THIS was Linus' response after the news broke instead of his knee-jerk emotion driven post he made a few hours after the GN video.

This is literally what people wanted and it really boggles my mind how this wasn't the go-to choice for the business since it's pretty common sense.

21 minutes ago, Arneun said:

It seems to me that it's more of a "how much it will misinform the viewer" not "how much the viewer will be upset" but what will be misinforming for one part of the audience will result in upset viewer that is technically versed in that area.

Taking for example - I won't notice if they'll say DP is faster than HDMI because that's not what I am proficient in. But if by any case they'll cover new features in C# 10, or something like that - well, then I could be one that is angered by mistake. For any given error that will leak out to public (at this scale) there will be a degree of reactions - the thing is that audience upset is most quantifiable way of measuring video correctness they have, because they probably have (with probability approaching 1) enough viewers to create vocal minority for any given topic they'll cover.

Fair aswell as the expertise of their audience good point I think phrasing might be improved and labeled clearer with future people in mind they ran into a problems with people not knowing things now if it's intended to be a living document used internally phrase it very clearly but agreed in general

2 minutes ago, Woofer21 said:

Who said it wasn't already in place? Linus just said they are publishing it in its current form. 

Well if it was in place they clearly were not using it in certain videos but for you I will clarify my original statement since it seemed to trigger your moaning for moaning 's sake reflex.

'There should have already been one in a visible place to shut the moaning Myrtles of the tech world up, that said its great to see after a week of reflection that the team have made a visible document for viewers or interested parties and it's great to have LTT back. We of course now await GN's next video telling us how something written in Linus's post is wrong.'

4 minutes ago, ShardsSuperior said:

This is almost exactly what the Gamer's Nexus policy on corrections is, so this should be above reproach hopefully.

It seems to me that this policy is much more transparent that GN's just because there are clear indicators that for severe/unacceptable mistakes, there will be appropriate response.

It's still 'trust me bro' in terms of upholding this policy, but community now has reference point when providing feedback, and community has better position to argue about severity of mistake.

2 minutes ago, Arneun said:

It seems to me that this policy is much more transparent that GN's just because there are clear indicators that for severe/unacceptable mistakes, there will be appropriate response.

It's still 'trust me bro' in terms of upholding this policy, but community now has reference point when providing feedback, and community has better position to argue about severity of mistake.

This also gives us a place to reference if we notice them not upholding the policy

I love the transparency, and we can see what will happen when. OK, some people's opinions will differ but at the end of the day, if the staff decide and agree that it's a 1,2 or 5 severity you should ignore the people screaming unless it's a overwhelming majority. The truth is that this is all a matter of opinion on a lot of the cases. 

My only issue/question is with severity 4. What are the corrective actions that would be taken? I really want to push for the hard thing to be done, the one that has the negative algorithmic effect. Un-listing a video, hiding it, and moving on should not be an option. Fixing and re-uploading the video is what should be done. 

I say this for two reasons:

• If you took the time to research, write, produce and record the video, edit, review and publish it then the topic if something I absolutely want to see. I value you guys, your work and opinion and if it gets that far it's worth watching. 
  • Forcing yourself to make this mistake over and over again, to take the hit, will encourage you to make this mistake less, be more vigilant and do better in the future. If there are no consequences then why do better? 

This is why I'd advocate for the tough, hard route. 

Lastly, it's been odd not watching any LTT videos these last 9/10 days. Because I've watched so many there is little to nothing in the back catalogue for me to watch. I miss you guys, your videos and humour. Obviously absence does make the heart grow stronger 😆😉😉

In saying that, take your time, if it takes days, weeks, what ever. Just know we are waiting patiently for your return, take your time, do it right. Ignore any negativity and just come back strong. 

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly