LTT Video Error Handling Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)

LinusTech

Looks very reasonable and thorough to me. I imagine it will be hard to exactly see the effects of new processes and controls as when something is fixed before it's public, we (the viewers) won't know about it. 

EDIT: I suggested this below in response to another comment, but how should viewers report errors? Maybe LMG can setup a google for that requires an email to prevent spam, and have a text box to paste a link/title for the video in question, type of error (drop-down list), and then error details textbox. 

These all look very positive and look like correct steps for the issue of testing, reviewing and presenting a product. Its a shame that it wasn't standard practice already but better late then never.

I hope they are followed through all the way.

This seems like a good thing.

That said all examples use "eg." except for tier 5 errors which uses "ex." and it's really bugging me.

EDIT: TBC this isn't trying to say "this is an error requiring correction" it's "this annoyed me a little bit because it's slightly inconsistent."

These all look like good measures to take. The most important part is that your internal processes are solid enough to be able to catch them before they go online. But your commitment to taking down videos that have errors in them is commendable. Show us what you got!

Progress is progress! 
Hoping everyone on staff is doing alright, can't wait to see the new improved content. Love you all at LTT. 

There seems to be a strong emphasis on audience being upset from my reading considering that it is continuously listed first. more emphasis on factual than audience opinion of it, if your responding to the audience your always going to be behind the ball get out infront and put the focus on the fact rather than the opinion 

@LinusTech What about editing errors like the audio out of sync to the video by a fraction of a second, enough to be very annoying as pronunciation no longer matches video?

These problems have occurred dozens of times in the past with LTT and are so annoying that you can't watch the video.

People never go out of business.

What if users want to report issues/errors you guys made?

Based on my understanding,you guys don't read YouTube comments, so if you guys miss an error, How do we report it

4 minutes ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

@LinusTech What about editing errors like the audio out of sync to the video by a fraction of a second, enough to be very annoying as pronunciation no longer matches video?

These problems have occurred dozens of times in the past with LTT and are so annoying that you can't watch the video.

When was the last time that happened? 

3 minutes ago, Otman said:

What if users want to report issues/errors you guys made?

Based on my understanding,you guys don't read YouTube comments, so if you guys miss an error, How do we report it

This comment is much more on topic than the one you made earlier. 

@LinusTech, may I suggest an email tip line or google form to report errors? Google Forms would probably be pretty easy on both sides, reporting and managing reports. 

Perhaps one thing that may also help catching errors proactively is to release the video a few hours (maybe a day) early on Floatplane and see if the public finds any inconsistencies, thus providing a safety margin before releasing the video to a much larger audience on Youtube. (Note: I am not a Floatplane subscriber)

Great, this seems like progress establishing a proper process for error handling. A few thing I would mention, however, about the topic of responsibilities and timelines. This might be omitted to the public here and might be included in the internal SOP but this needs to be clarified somewhat anyway. 

Regarding timelines:

When are the corrective actions implemented? Are there processes for when this deadline cannot be met? For example, how would a medium severity error escalate in corrective actions when not properly in time?

Regarding responsibilities:

Who is monitoring this process? Are responsibilities assigned for each error or is there a general responsible employee taking care of errors? Who needs to be involved for which errors or can every level of error be dealt with by every employee? Is this process traceable, i.e. is there the option to trace back who corrected which error in what way when?

This process should be really detailed in how you handle errors and you should consider processes for avoiding these in the first place. Considering the lab, is there a thought towards implementing a QMS? I would think this would increase the confidence in anything the lab does drastically.

@LinusTech thank you for sharing - this all sounds very reasonable.

any updates as to when the new screwdriver color-way that Nick teased will be available for pre-orders?

@LinusTech I honestly hope this all results in bringing back early access to Floatplane videos, not because I actually care to see the videos, but I think it would be a HUGE benefit for you guys for us to see and critique the video prior to it being posted on YouTube. It would give time for the video to be Voiced Over or other fixes as mentioned without impacting the YouTube algorithm. Just my 2c.

10 minutes ago, Absentia13 said:

The AI voice thing is ridiculous. Honestly, it's literally a 10 second section or something just get the host to record it again or delay the video. 

It might be beneficial for instances where A-roll has been finalized but the host is unavailable for a while after shooting the video due to vacation or being out of town to cover a convention or something.

Server - 10850K   |   Daily - 12700k  |  Gaming - Steam Deck

1 minute ago, Gamercave said:

There seems to be a strong emphasis on audience being upset from my reading considering that it is continuously listed first. more emphasis on factual than audience opinion of it, if your responding to the audience your always going to be behind the ball get out infront and put the focus on the fact rather than the opinion 

It seems to me that it's more of a "how much it will misinform the viewer" not "how much the viewer will be upset" but what will be misinforming for one part of the audience will result in upset viewer that is technically versed in that area.

Taking for example - I won't notice if they'll say DP is faster than HDMI because that's not what I am proficient in. But if by any case they'll cover new features in C# 10, or something like that - well, then I could be one that is angered by mistake. For any given error that will leak out to public (at this scale) there will be a degree of reactions - the thing is that audience upset is most quantifiable way of measuring video correctness they have, because they probably have (with probability approaching 1) enough viewers to create vocal minority for any given topic they'll cover.

8 minutes ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

Severity tier 1, no action.

Just now, Smeeoh said:

When was the last time that happened? 

No idea. Stopped watching months ago.

I check from time to time and if the title isn't clickbait (some titles are so bad that you have no idea e.g. "I made an expensive mistake" is somehow a car review and not a vlog).

If the title is inserting I open it in the background for audio and tab in if their is something interesting.

People never go out of business.

22 minutes ago, AuroraEsmeralda said:

This seems like a good thing.

That said all examples use "e.g." except for tier 5 errors which uses "e.x." and it's really bugging me.

they are already failing! worthless! /s

1 minute ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

No idea. Stopped watching months ago.

I check from time to time and if the title isn't clickbait (some titles are so bad that you have no idea e.g. "I made an expensive mistake" is somehow a car review and not a vlog).

If the title is inserting I open it in the background for audio and tab in if their is something interesting.

Then how do you know it’s a problem? You stopped watching…and when you do it’s in the background…