Jump to content

Opinion of someone who used to watch LinusTechTips videos every week.

thefinalepic
Roughly 8 years ago, I built my first computer and it was Linus Tech Tips that there for me to help me through all the steps. From then on I always tuned back to them for GPU, CPU and Phone reviews and I always liked their fun style of editing and Linus himself. Liked his personality and his core values I would roughly watch one video a week depending on what it was and even a WAN show here and there when I was active.
I can't quite pin point the exact point but I believe it was roughly 9-14 months ago that I just stopped watching Linus Tech Tips, their videos would pop up in my home page but I would never click it. Nothing malicious from LTT or any ill will from me to not watch it. I just didn't feel like watching it. Eventually LTT videos stopped appearing on my home page from what I'm assuming because I stopped clicking on their videos.
 
And it was only after this week where it exploded on my home page about all this drama that I find out what was going on. I didn't even knew about Billet systems, the inaccuracies of the data, etc. And the more I researched on what happened and was said, the more I'm dissappointed at LTT. Its like someone you knew who was a good person and a bright future and they just turned into a dick. Not a bad person per say, just a dick that they probably didn't know they were becoming.
 
Things that were already brought up that I didn't click well with me was how Linus used the wrong GPU than what was asked, then refused to reshoot because it "would cost them money and the difference doesn't matter even if its a 20C difference" and then auctioning off their only prototype when they specifically told LTT not to speaks to a level of incompetence I can't really tolerate.
 
I get people make mistakes, and its fine and I would even excuse it if it was LTT back then. But its not, they're a multimillion dollar company and they're expecting us to treat them like a indie youtube channel.Which leads to the point of the infamous clip of LTT bragging for 10 videos straight about their new expensive labs just for it to be inconsistent in the data rubs me the wrong way.
 
With everything that happened, their response/apology video. I actually did a heavy sigh and unsubbed from their youtube channel. I'm sure they'll recover from this and gain subs, hell probably won't even lose that much in terms of raw %, but they lost me and my respect for their channel and them as a company.
 
LTT made me fell in love with computer building and tech. And its sorta sad it ends this way.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, thefinalepic said:

LTT made me fell in love with computer building and tech. And its sorta sad it ends this way.

Even though they have had their share of controversies and drama I don't think this will be the end of LTT. 

It's too big to fail on Youtube, but more importantly, if they changes they are making now improve the situation for people working there and produce higher quality videos and architecture to work on said videos I could see this as a good beginning of something great. 

I'm applying Ikea spelling, meaning you get most of the words and letters, then it's up to you to assemble them correctly! 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

31 minutes ago, thefinalepic said:
 
 
I get people make mistakes, and its fine and I would even excuse it if it was LTT back then. But its not, they're a multimillion dollar company and they're expecting us to treat them like a indie youtube channel.Which leads to the point of the infamous clip of LTT bragging for 10 videos straight about their new expensive labs just for it to be inconsistent in the data rubs me the wrong way.

The fact that they are a bigger company means that there is a higher chance for mistakes so this comment doesn't really make any sense...

 

and also - The data has still been correct 99.9% of the time. The few mistakes you and GN mentioned, are a couple drops in a great lake. They have room to grow and are actively addressing the issues mentioned. Let's see where it takes them

 

I can see why it should make you raise an eyebrow - but absolutely none of this is worth ditching them over. There isn't a single other tech youtuber who isn't making the same mistakes and there's already several videos up showing that GN is also guilty of what they accused LTT of. Might as well be a dick measuring contest

 

 

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, thefinalepic said:
Roughly 8 years ago, I built my first computer and it was Linus Tech Tips that there for me to help me through all the steps. From then on I always tuned back to them for GPU, CPU and Phone reviews and I always liked their fun style of editing and Linus himself. Liked his personality and his core values I would roughly watch one video a week depending on what it was and even a WAN show here and there when I was active.
I can't quite pin point the exact point but I believe it was roughly 9-14 months ago that I just stopped watching Linus Tech Tips, their videos would pop up in my home page but I would never click it. Nothing malicious from LTT or any ill will from me to not watch it. I just didn't feel like watching it. Eventually LTT videos stopped appearing on my home page from what I'm assuming because I stopped clicking on their videos.
 
And it was only after this week where it exploded on my home page about all this drama that I find out what was going on. I didn't even knew about Billet systems, the inaccuracies of the data, etc. And the more I researched on what happened and was said, the more I'm dissappointed at LTT. Its like someone you knew who was a good person and a bright future and they just turned into a dick. Not a bad person per say, just a dick that they probably didn't know they were becoming.
 
Things that were already brought up that I didn't click well with me was how Linus used the wrong GPU than what was asked, then refused to reshoot because it "would cost them money and the difference doesn't matter even if its a 20C difference" and then auctioning off their only prototype when they specifically told LTT not to speaks to a level of incompetence I can't really tolerate.
 
I get people make mistakes, and its fine and I would even excuse it if it was LTT back then. But its not, they're a multimillion dollar company and they're expecting us to treat them like a indie youtube channel.Which leads to the point of the infamous clip of LTT bragging for 10 videos straight about their new expensive labs just for it to be inconsistent in the data rubs me the wrong way.
 
With everything that happened, their response/apology video. I actually did a heavy sigh and unsubbed from their youtube channel. I'm sure they'll recover from this and gain subs, hell probably won't even lose that much in terms of raw %, but they lost me and my respect for their channel and them as a company.
 
LTT made me fell in love with computer building and tech. And its sorta sad it ends this way.

What a softie.. 🤦‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote

then auctioning off their only prototype when they specifically told LTT not to speaks to a level of incompetence I can't really tolerate.

Billet Lab initially told LTT that they can keep the billet for future testing, but they flip flop on that.

Just be aware that not everyone is telling the full story here. I didnt know that too initially after first GN video but know I know and this definitely changes my outlook on LTT for slightly better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

People are too caught up on these mistakes.

LTT is a huge company with a huge video output. These inaccuracies are just tiny blips and growing pains. They won't matter years down the line when there are hundreds/thousands of more videos that will hopefully be more accurate.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to borrow @Spotty's message as I don't see the disclaimer myself:

Quote

For topics related to the recent LMG controversies, please use an existing thread rather than starting a new thread. New threads discussing these issues may be merged, locked or removed without warning.

Locked.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×