PSU Coil Whine

Go to solution Solved by Poinkachu,

I do hear it after turning the volume of my speaker to max, and windows volume to like 60-70 as well. Even then it is still quite subtle.

But yeah, like @Hinjima said. Basically when there's a coil, there's a whine. How bad / better varies from one to another.

Aorus P850W (Model: GP-AP850GM), recently started making a buzzing sound which is a 60 cycle buzz from the main's AC power. I believe it could be a transformer inside that is going bad or another part like a capacitor. The PSU is not even that old so I find it concerning that it's already starting to do that. I bought it back in April (Or May ish) of 2023. The buzzing sound doesn't stop until you unplug the PSU (Even with the power switch turned off) and it gets louder under load. I attached two videos one without load and one just idling in Window's. If anyone could give me advice on what to do next would be great, the PSU works for now although a week ish ago it turned off randomly but I believe that's because I hit the reset button by mistake when plugging in headphones.

System Specs:

Intel Core i7-13700k

RTX 3070

32GB of Corsair Vengeance 5600mhz memory

ASUS Tuf Gaming Z790-PLUS WIFI Motherboard.

Aorus P850W (Model: GP-AP850GM)

19 minutes ago, Astrophel said:

Aorus P850W (Model: GP-AP850GM), recently started making a buzzing sound which is a 60 cycle buzz from the main's AC power. I believe it could be a transformer inside that is going bad or another part like a capacitor. The PSU is not even that old so I find it concerning that it's already starting to do that. I bought it back in April (Or May ish) of 2023. The buzzing sound doesn't stop until you unplug the PSU (Even with the power switch turned off) and it gets louder under load. I attached two videos one without load and one just idling in Window's. If anyone could give me advice on what to do next would be great, the PSU works for now although a week ish ago it turned off randomly but I believe that's because I hit the reset button by mistake when plugging in headphones.

System Specs:

Intel Core i7-13700k

RTX 3070

32GB of Corsair Vengeance 5600mhz memory

ASUS Tuf Gaming Z790-PLUS WIFI Motherboard.

Aorus P850W (Model: GP-AP850GM)

Coilwhine can happen in PSU's as well as GPUS, Motherboads, RAM, and even monitors.  Its not dangerous and I dont hear anything concerning in any of the clips you posted.

I do hear it after turning the volume of my speaker to max, and windows volume to like 60-70 as well. Even then it is still quite subtle.

But yeah, like @Hinjima said. Basically when there's a coil, there's a whine. How bad / better varies from one to another.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.