is the 4060ti wise for a Blender user?

Sorual

Hello! I've been building PCs for a few years now, and a friend asked for help building hers. She plans to use it for 1080p 60fps gaming and 3D modeling. Her budget of $1200 has been nice to work with, and I have the following parts picked out:

CPU: Intel Core i5 13600K

Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE

Motherboard: MSI Z690-P Pro DDR4

Case: Lian Li Lancool 216 RGB

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 GT (80+ Gold)

Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB

Ram: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 DDR4

(If some of these parts seem too expensive for the budget, it's because she already has some of them)

The only question is the GPU. Nowadays, I'd easily pick an AMD GPU for the much better value. The only hiccup is this: my friend is a 3D artist who uses Blender often. So I want her GPU to be one conducive to her work. From what I've researched, Blender takes EXCELLENT advantage of Nvidia's CUDA computing platform. So as a result, Blender tends to work substantially better on Nvidia cards.

We plan to buy our parts from our local Micro-Center, which does not currently have the Rx 6700xt available for competitive prices. But it does have as AsRock 6750xt for $380. I'm considering that our AMD option. Alternatively, we could get a Zotac 3060ti for $350. So we save $50 compared to the 4060ti. And so my question is this: For a 3D artist who uses Blender often, does the 4060ti provide a substantial performance or support benefit over the 3060ti for $50? And what's more, (I'm addressing any Blender Users here) do either the 3060ti or the 4060ti provide a substantial performance advantage over relevant AMD options?

I'm focusing on Blender because I'm aware of the community sentiment towards the 4060ti with respect to gaming: Just buy the Rx 6700xt. As a happy 6750xt user myself, I agree. But my friend is only gaming in 1080p 60fps. All but the most RECENT PS5 ports seem to perform to that spec with any of the cards mentioned in this post. So my focus is on her Blender usage and longevity of the system in terms of support. And basically, I'm leaning towards the 4060ti for this use-case. I need someone to vibe-check me here xD

30 minutes ago, Sorual said:

And what's more, (I'm addressing any Blender Users here) do either the 3060ti or the 4060ti provide a substantial performance advantage over relevant AMD options?

Even the 3060 beats out a 6750xt in blender, and so does a 2060 (non-Super). If you throw Optix into the mix, then AMD gets slaughtered by nvidia, with a 2060 beating even a 6800xt more often than not.

The 4060ti is on a similar level to a 3070ti, so it's up to you to see if it's worth or not. Have some benchmarks to clear up your mind:

https://www.phoronix.com/review/blender-33-nvidia-amd/2

https://techgage.com/article/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4060-ti-creator-review/

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/nvidia-rtx-4070-and-4060-ti-8gb-content-creation-review/#GPU_Rendering_Blender

36 minutes ago, Sorual said:

So we save $50 compared to the 4060ti. And so my question is this: For a 3D artist who uses Blender often, does the 4060ti provide a substantial performance or support benefit over the 3060ti for $50?

Could those $50 be used for something more important for her workflow, such as more RAM or a CPU with more cores? If so, then such upgrade may be better, otherwise just go for the 4060ti.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

I agree with igormp. Purely form a numbers standpoint, getting a 3060ti is probably the better option. If you r microcenter has it in stock then it leaves you with another $50 to spend on a better CPU. Something that I would probably spend the money on is one or two extra case fans to fit into the top of the case. This will lead to a small improvement in performance and render times. 

10 hours ago, Sorual said:

(If some of these parts seem too expensive for the budget, it's because she already has some of them)

Its a bummer but the 4060/Ti/16GB is basically a scam. It shows basically ZERO performance improvement over the 3060-Ti at 1440p thanks to its tiny die and worthless narrow BUS. It shows a small performance improvement over the 3060-Ti at 1080p but its only 5-10%.

In reality, its a 50-class product that Nvidia feels they can charge $300-$500 USD for, which is completely disgusting.

However, because of the budget, target performance, and the fact she wants to do 3D modelling, there may not be any other option. I like my AMD card (see signature for build thread) but for professional work AMD doesn't do too well.

If the budget could be bumped a little, the RTX 4070 Non-Ti would be a better value and a better option for overall performance but that would be pushing the budget quite far.

Alternatively, you could have her wait for the RTX 4060 non-Ti to save some cash, its going to be more than capable at 1080p and not such a ripoff at $300 USD.

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2023 at 1:56 PM, Sorual said:

Hello! I've been building PCs for a few years now, and a friend asked for help building hers. She plans to use it for 1080p 60fps gaming and 3D modeling. Her budget of $1200 has been nice to work with, and I have the following parts picked out:

The only question is the GPU. Nowadays, I'd easily pick an AMD GPU for the much better value. The only hiccup is this: my friend is a 3D artist who uses Blender often. So I want her GPU to be one conducive to her work. From what I've researched, Blender takes EXCELLENT advantage of Nvidia's CUDA computing platform. So as a result, Blender tends to work substantially better on Nvidia cards.

We plan to buy our parts from our local Micro-Center, which does not currently have the Rx 6700xt available for competitive prices. But it does have as AsRock 6750xt for $380. I'm considering that our AMD option. Alternatively, we could get a Zotac 3060ti for $350. So we save $50 compared to the 4060ti. And so my question is this: For a 3D artist who uses Blender often, does the 4060ti provide a substantial performance or support benefit over the 3060ti for $50? And what's more, (I'm addressing any Blender Users here) do either the 3060ti or the 4060ti provide a substantial performance advantage over relevant AMD options?

I'm focusing on Blender because I'm aware of the community sentiment towards the 4060ti with respect to gaming: Just buy the Rx 6700xt. As a happy 6750xt user myself, I agree. But my friend is only gaming in 1080p 60fps. All but the most RECENT PS5 ports seem to perform to that spec with any of the cards mentioned in this post. So my focus is on her Blender usage and longevity of the system in terms of support. And basically, I'm leaning towards the 4060ti for this use-case. I need someone to vibe-check me here xD

https://opendata.blender.org

https://opendata.blender.org/benchmarks/query/?compute_type=OPTIX&compute_type=CUDA&compute_type=HIP&compute_type=METAL&compute_type=ONEAPI&group_by=device_name&blender_version=3.5.0

AMD cards are massively disappointing in Blender.   Despite a good price/performance (for gaming) for most 6000 and 7000 cards - they are very mediocre in Blender.

At this site, you can compare cards - the 6000 series is abysmal and the 7900 XTX card is surpassed in performance by the 4060 Ti.   AMD & Blender are working on implementing raytracing for AMD cards - HIP-RT (equivalent of OptiX for Nvidia) - but, the % increase is anticipated to be rather meager.   All it will do is help the 7900 XTX barely surpass the 4060 Ti in performance - when enabled and if it works properly.

The 4060 Ti is probably the best card for you to get, if Blender is the main user case.  Keep in mind, it's only a 8gb card.   A used 3080 with 12gb would be better but not sure how much it is in your locale.