Screen disconnects immediately when I launch certain games from Steam

upshot321
Go to solution Solved by cautiouslyoptimistic,

sounds like the display is not recognizing the output of the game, either the resolution, refresh rate, or sync method. probably the last one. just a guess.

so try the games with tv set to freesync off, if that works,

well we need freesync, so turn it on and start changing game settings in amd radeon driver, some related settings like "enhanced sync" and "amd freesync" in the per-game profiles.

I recently upgraded my graphics card and power supply. Since then, several games (Civ4, Deus Ex HR, Borderlands 2) will cause the screen to disconnect once launched. It's like I unplugged my HDMI cable or the screen saver kicked on. Newer games like Hogwarts Legacy, Cyberpunk 2077 and GTA V load and run without problems. Connecting to my LG TV that supports Freesync and 120 Hz via HDMI 2.1
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Rig:

Asus ROG Strix 650E-F (smbios 3.5)

R9 7900X @ stock speed

32 Gig G Skill Flare X 5 @ 6000 Mhz (stock)

XTX Merc 310 7900 XTX (switch on non-OC mode)

Corsair RM1000x power supply

Windows 10 Pro ver 22H2

sounds like the display is not recognizing the output of the game, either the resolution, refresh rate, or sync method. probably the last one. just a guess.

well we need freesync, so turn it on and start changing game settings in amd radeon driver, some related settings like "enhanced sync" and "amd freesync" in the per-game profiles.

The other thing to check is some of the games may need DirectX 9 or other installs like a .net that your need to manually find.  Just this may be a software + game issue more than hardware issue.  Because all the games you are having problems with are older titles that may need some TLC to get running on a newer OS then they were build for.

Heck take Dragon Age: Origins.  I am doing a new play through of it, and it was crashing every 20 min or so.  Turns out I need the Large Address Aware hack, then it stopped crashing.

7 hours ago, cautiouslyoptimistic said:

I turned off Freesync and "Instant game response" (whatever that is) and was able to get a picture for Civ IV, which I hadn't been able to do before. It disconnect when I hit alt/tab to change to a Windows screen, but still an improvement! Earlier today I was trying different resolutions and some would cause the screen to disconnect, so I think you're definitely over the target.

Will tinker with Radeon and in game settings and hopefully will be able to fully solve this. Thanks!

6 hours ago, DarkWaterSong said:

The other thing to check is some of the games may need DirectX 9 or other installs like a .net that your need to manually find.  Just this may be a software + game issue more than hardware issue.  Because all the games you are having problems with are older titles that may need some TLC to get running on a newer OS then they were build for.

Heck take Dragon Age: Origins.  I am doing a new play through of it, and it was crashing every 20 min or so.  Turns out I need the Large Address Aware hack, then it stopped crashing.

Good points. I'm running a fresh Windows install and am missing a bunch of those support files which I suspect are causing problems. I love playing old titles... just another nostalgic sucker, I guess.

25 minutes ago, upshot321 said:

Good points. I'm running a fresh Windows install and am missing a bunch of those support files which I suspect are causing problems. I love playing old titles... just another nostalgic sucker, I guess.

Honestly I love the Mass Effect remaster, because I did not have to spend as much time trying to get the first game to run.  Also GOG.com often does a better job getting older games to run, an sometimes I steal files from them or look up how they got X to work on their new rig.

Also I am playing the original fable, and Myst 3 right now....so no worries on love for older games.

On 6/8/2023 at 7:36 PM, DarkWaterSong said:

Honestly I love the Mass Effect remaster, because I did not have to spend as much time trying to get the first game to run.  Also GOG.com often does a better job getting older games to run, an sometimes I steal files from them or look up how they got X to work on their new rig.

Also I am playing the original fable, and Myst 3 right now....so no worries on love for older games.

Didn't know there was a Mass Effect remaster. Big fan of that trilogy (yes, there were only 3 imo).