3090 ftw3 ultra thermal paste replacement question

I was going to replace the thermal paste for the GPU but noticed in a video that they use thermal putty on the vram. Should I buy thermal putty again for that or buy thermal pads? It's a used card so I wanted to clean it out and replace the paste. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Shimejii said:

You should be fine to just leave it. Is there a reason why you have to repaste it already? Were you noticing bad thermals?

Not really. The highest it gets is 83c which is the thermal limit. I just thought because the person I bought it from probably used it for mining that I should do that. In the original pictures it was really dusty but, when I received it they got most of it out. If you think it's good though I can leave it. 

14 minutes ago, AllTattersNoBrains said:

Not really. The highest it gets is 83c which is the thermal limit. I just thought because the person I bought it from probably used it for mining that I should do that. In the original pictures it was really dusty but, when I received it they got most of it out. If you think it's good though I can leave it. 

Depends on the games. You can try a repaste, make sure to spread it out enough and use enough and test it again. Report back what you see. 

21 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Depends on the games. You can try a repaste, make sure to spread it out enough and use enough and test it again. Report back what you see. 

I mainly play Destiny. I bought thermal paste and a spreader but didn't realize I needed to buy stuff for the vram. I thought they already had thermal pads on it. I haven't repasted a GPU before. Would the thermal putty be good. 

10 minutes ago, AllTattersNoBrains said:

I mainly play Destiny. I bought thermal paste and a spreader but didn't realize I needed to buy stuff for the vram. I thought they already had thermal pads on it. I haven't repasted a GPU before. Would the thermal putty be good. 

I personally Hate thermal putty, Its so damn messy. I generally have never had to redo thermal pads, except in one case where i was fixing someone elses botched attempt at repasting. That putty can be great if you do it just enough, but be prepared to clean up quite the mess lol

Repasting is easy, just  please make sure you use enough. 

1 hour ago, Shimejii said:

I personally Hate thermal putty, Its so damn messy. I generally have never had to redo thermal pads, except in one case where i was fixing someone elses botched attempt at repasting. That putty can be great if you do it just enough, but be prepared to clean up quite the mess lol

Repasting is easy, just  please make sure you use enough. 

Thank you. 

replacing thermal pad for memory is easy, you just need to buy a right size ( thickness ) of thermal pad, in mining memory is going really hard work all the time and the thermal pad going greasy and "oily" and you need to replace it

52 minutes ago, rilwanu said:

replacing thermal pad for memory is easy, you just need to buy a right size ( thickness ) of thermal pad, in mining memory is going really hard work all the time and the thermal pad going greasy and "oily" and you need to replace it

Thank you.