Reddit app Apollow shutting down on June 30th

DarthGaymer

Summary

Apollo will be shutting down on June 30th due to Reddit's abrupt decision to charge for API access.

In order to avoid incurring charges I will delete Apollo's API token on the evening of June 30th PST. Until that point, Apollo should continue to operate as it has, but after that date attempts to connect to the Reddit API will fail.

My thoughts

With the abrupt end of neverending venture capital due to COVID pandemic, yet another tech company that hasn't made a profit has decided to implement charges that appear to be not only egregious but actively stiff the community that uses the platform.  Apollo's app was significantly more user friendly than the default reddit app, especially for iOS devices.  Even Apple mentioned Apollo multiple times during WWDC 2023.

Sources

Now if we can just get Reddit itself to shut down, we'd be all set!

/h or /i....you decide.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

This was sort of mentioned here already.

9 minutes ago, DarthGaymer said:

hasn't made a profit has decided to implement charges that appear to be not only egregious but actively stiff the community that uses the platform

If your conclusion is that Reddit isn't making money, then them trying to make changes that charges apps that don't show their ads really isn't egregious.  If they truly aren't making money, then there isn't much that can be said in regards to them charging high API calls (as it's an attempt to make money)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

Please continue in the existing thread.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2