Noob question about 5800x3d

Go to solution Solved by Agall,
47 minutes ago, Gondawn said:

Hi guys

Correct me if I am wrong, but does 5800x3d automatically adjusts its speed based on your needs?

Because in task manager I see that speed is at 4.06GHz, despite it saying that the base speed is 3.40GHz.

5800x3D will boost up to 4.55GHz automatically based on workload and thermal headroom. Its an otherwise locked CPU that's designed as a 'set and forget' outside of DOCP/XMP for the RAM.

Even 7000x3D is 'set and forget' outside of some PBO tuning but is still locked like the 5800x3D at 5.05GHz for the 7800x3D and 5.25GHz on the 3D v-cache CCD on the other two. Some people have done base clock overclocking on 7000x3D which isn't advisable, but even less advisable for the 5800x3D since the base clock can't be asychronous from the PCIe bus base clock like it can on Ryzen 7000, therefore adjusting base clock also overclocks the PCIe bus which can cause instability with any PCIe device.

All core at ~4GHZ sounds about right, if you're using monitoring software, check to see if you're getting maximum boosts to 4.55GHz in lighter loads. Otherwise, the 5800x3D isn't designed for overclocking, neither are the 7000x3D CPUs.

Hi guys

Correct me if I am wrong, but does 5800x3d automatically adjusts its speed based on your needs?

Because in task manager I see that speed is at 4.06GHz, despite it saying that the base speed is 3.40GHz.

Yes, modern CPUs will boost their frequency during workloads if you have available headroom in thermal and power limits. Although the max advertised boost is generally only sustainable on one or two cores during good conditions.

4 minutes ago, Gondawn said:

Hi guys

Based on cooling performance and your bios settings yes. It will clock higher if given the chance and workload.

3 minutes ago, Gondawn said:

does 5800x3d automatically adjusts its speed based on your needs

All modern CPUs adjust their clocks based on the system load, available power budget, and current temperature of the CPU.

Manual configurations, like overclocking and windows power settings (to just name a couple general example) can alter this behavior to an extent.

1 minute ago, ZeusXI said:

Based on cooling performance and your bios settings yes. It will clock higher if given the chance and workload.

1 minute ago, HorseBattery said:

Yes, modern CPUs will boost their frequency during workloads if you have available headroom in thermal and power limits. Although the max advertised boost is generally only sustainable on one or two cores during good conditions.

So there is no need to overclock anything then? It's ok for base speed to stay at 3.4?

Just now, Gondawn said:

So there is no need to overclock anything then? It's ok for base speed to stay at 3.4?

I wouldnt recommend overclocking an X3D chip. Let it do it by itself

2 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

I wouldnt recommend overclocking an X3D chip. Let it do it by itself

Got it, thank you

47 minutes ago, Gondawn said:

Hi guys

5800x3D will boost up to 4.55GHz automatically based on workload and thermal headroom. Its an otherwise locked CPU that's designed as a 'set and forget' outside of DOCP/XMP for the RAM.

Even 7000x3D is 'set and forget' outside of some PBO tuning but is still locked like the 5800x3D at 5.05GHz for the 7800x3D and 5.25GHz on the 3D v-cache CCD on the other two. Some people have done base clock overclocking on 7000x3D which isn't advisable, but even less advisable for the 5800x3D since the base clock can't be asychronous from the PCIe bus base clock like it can on Ryzen 7000, therefore adjusting base clock also overclocks the PCIe bus which can cause instability with any PCIe device.

All core at ~4GHZ sounds about right, if you're using monitoring software, check to see if you're getting maximum boosts to 4.55GHz in lighter loads. Otherwise, the 5800x3D isn't designed for overclocking, neither are the 7000x3D CPUs.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017