Can I use amd and nivida gpu on one motherboard?

pc quacks

Hello, I'm just wondering if anyone tried to run a amd gpu and nivida in one system 

I have a 1650 nivida and a rx 5500XT with a b450 tomahawk max motherboard and a ryzen 3700x 

When I connect my rx to the second gpu slot, my monitors don't seem to go on when they're connected to my nivida gpu, Do I need to switch the gpu slots around. I tried to install amd radeon software with the drivers, all it gives me "Error 182 – AMD Software Installer Detected AMD Graphics Hardware in Your System Configuration That Is Not Supported" 

5 minutes ago, bezza... said:

wait why do you want to do this?

I just wanted to experiment to see what my pc can handle with two gpu, anything like rendering, gaming, video editing, stuff like that 

8 minutes ago, pc quacks said:

I just wanted to experiment to see what my pc can handle with two gpu, anything like rendering, gaming, video editing, stuff like that 

With the possible exception of rendering and video encoding, most tasks generally don't benefit from having more than one GPU.

In the past some games supported multi-GPU, but that usually requires two identical GPUs in SLI/Crossfire. While DX12 technically allows mixed GPUs, it requires explicit game support/developer effort. I think Ashes of the Singularity was the only game to ever support it.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

22 minutes ago, pc quacks said:

Unfortunately that's not how Multi GPU works. When you have two separate GPUs in a system they can only work on separate tasks, they cannot do the same task at the same time, there just isn't the support for it. Multi GPU with the functionalities you're looking for has been gone for several years, back in the days of SLI and Crossfire. And required identical GPUs paired either through the motherboard(AMD Crossfire) or through an SLI Bridge(Nvidia SLI). 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

With the possible exception of rendering and video encoding, most tasks generally don't benefit from having more than one GPU.

In the past some games supported multi-GPU, but that usually requires two identical GPUs in SLI/Crossfire. While DX12 technically allows mixed GPUs, it requires explicit game support/developer effort. I think Ashes of the Singularity was the only game to ever support it.

Does X12 help by using my amd and gpu together and giving me display? 

54 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Unfortunately that's not how Multi GPU works. When you have two separate GPUs in a system they can only work on separate tasks, they cannot do the same task at the same time, there just isn't the support for it. Multi GPU with the functionalities you're looking for has been gone for several years, back in the days of SLI and Crossfire. And required identical GPUs paired either through the motherboard(AMD Crossfire) or through an SLI Bridge(Nvidia SLI). 

Since I can't use my gpus for one task, is there any way for the gpus to be in my system without my monitor not displaying? 

3 minutes ago, pc quacks said:

Since I can't use my gpus for one task, is there any way for the gpus to be in my system without my monitor not displaying? 

You need to have your monitors plugged into the main GPU, then you'll need to make sure you have both GPUs enabled in bios. If the AMD GPU isn't working and you bought it used it may be a bad GPU. Test both individually and then try them both together after confirming they both work by themselves. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

37 minutes ago, pc quacks said:

Does X12 help by using my amd and gpu together and giving me display? 

DirectX 12 technically allows for heterogeneous compute, where software can use multiple/mixed GPUs together. But it's something that the developer of software actively has to implement. As I said above, Ashes of the Singularity is the only game to ever do that to my knowledge.

So no, on its own DX12 will not help you. It technically allows developers to do it, but the developers still need to do it, and they generally do not go to the trouble to implement it.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

having multiple gpus can be helpful if you want to use one for gaming WHILE you use the other for rendering, language models, compute, a different game, AI waifus, ect. the first gpu is dedicated to the game and the second is dedicated to the compute load. 

if you are having an issue installing the drivers, you may be forced to remove the nvidia gpu, and put the amd gpu in its place. Then you can install the drivers and verify function. After that, you can put the nvidia gpu back in its place and install the amd gpu in the other slot and it *should* work correctly. 

Just to let everyone know, two gpu that I have are working good, getting slightly faster rendering now, hope all of you are having a great day 🙂