What after C++?

shivajikobardan

I've finished a 50hr course on C++ and my basics are somewhat clear although I'm not confident of it.
So, I am looking to improve my C++. My ultimate aim is to study data structures and algorithms  in  C++.
Book 1:

https://www.amazon.com/Problem-Solving-9th-Walter-Savitch/dp/0133591743/ref=sr_1_3?qid=1686155829&refinements=p_27%3AWalter+Savitch&s=books&sr=1-3

Book 2:

https://www.amazon.com/Starting-Games-Graphics-first-Gaddis/dp/B00BUWFM50

As I said earlier, I've already grasped basics of C++. Since my ultimate goal is to work in coding industry, for interviews, I need to prepare for algorithms and data structures, grind leetcode. Between C++ and Java, I choosed C++ because that was taught in our university.

I won't read the first book line by line. I will start from exercises of loops and complete 20% of all exercises. It'll take at least 6 months of weekend studies for me to get there.

Another plan is to do graphics programming. The book by Tony Gaddis is so good for me. Only problem, it uses darkgdk which is very much outdated. So, if you've any recommendations for libraries in C++ like sfml, allegro, sdl, etc, Please recommend. Recommend those which is similar to darkgdk architecture. This book will also take me 6 months of full time weekend studies to finish.

Which one will be more beneficial to my learning?

I am a big fan of www.codingame.com they have a lot of free short challenges available in many languages. One of the paths you can work through on their site is data structures and algorithms.

I'd suggest working through challenges in your most comfortable language first, presumably C++, then go through them again in another language like Java, Python, or JavaScript to have exposure to different languages.

The second book won't do you much good for algorithms or data structures.  Take the first.  For additional reading, my algorithms course used Introduction to Algorthms Third Edition by Cormen, Leiserson, Rivest, and Stein.  You might recognize Rivest as the R author of the RSA encryption algorithm.  ISBNs:
978-0-262-03384-8 (hardcover), 978-0-262-53305-8 (paperback).  The text used pseudocode rather than any particular language to show how the various algorithms work.

I've read Walter savitch c++ and it was very good. 

Go with the book written by him that you linked. 

I wouldn't bother learning something outdated. 

To my knowledge, graphics are done in 4 major API when it comes to c++. 

1. Open gl (glew is a popular window API to go with it.)

2. QT. This is used for like desktop programs all throughout office programs, tools, and more. The music program reaper was written using qt if I'm not mistaken. 

3. Vulkan for high performance open gl. 

4. Direct X & the windows API. Like it or not, windows is the operating system of the world and Microsoft has a whole Windows API library for c++ that give you a ton of great features. 

If I had to pick one API for a job, I'd say QT. I have seen that one the most in job listings. 

I'll get started with Savitch's book man. I just needed a validation that it's a good book. Do you have solved programs atm @fpo I'll start only from loops. Would that be alright?

27 minutes ago, shivajikobardan said:

I'll get started with Savitch's book man. I just needed a validation that it's a good book.

I haven't read that book but I read his other book and liked it. 

Do you have solved programs atm

I'm not sure I know what you mean. 

I didn't learn a lot of my programming very rigidly. 

I learned through personal research using Google. 

@fpo I'll start only from loops. Would that be alright?

If you're following a textbook, I would follow what it recommends. The author probably wrote the book in the order it was written for a reason. 

MIT OpenCourseWare has courses like like this. In addition, there are tons of websites with exercises for various difficulties. But nothing will teach you more than creating a project from scratch - snake, Space Invader, or w/e.The main point is to create something from start to finish - no exercises will provide you with more knowledge than that.

There is approximately a 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply