PS4 or PS6?

cheeztoshobo

I currently have a PS4 at home but the battery life is decreasing + for future games (like Harry Potter) I'm thinking of getting a new one - but it's not that urgent.

I don't really want to get PS5 because they say it has overheating issues and trouble with downloading big files.

So should I wait for PS6 (rumored to be around 2026) or just get PS5 now?

2 minutes ago, cheeztoshobo said:

PS4 at home but the battery life is decreasing

battery life 🤔

2 minutes ago, cheeztoshobo said:

So should I wait for PS6 (rumored to be around 2026) or just get PS5 now?

I would say wait as it should be a big upgrade (also it should we around 2025 maybe late 2024)

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

19 minutes ago, filpo said:

I would say wait as it should be a big upgrade (also it should we around 2025 maybe late 2024)

it will probbably be 2026 as consoles have long lifspans

(as far as i know) the ps5 does not have any majour issues and it is not a bad option

however if you are getting what you want from your console there is no point upgrading

@filpo@bezza...

I hope you know that the shortest lifecycle of a playstation was about 6 years. With them only getting longer.

ps1 - ps2 6 years

ps2 - ps3 6 years nearing 7

ps3 - ps4 7 years

ps3 - ps4 nearing 8 years

38 minutes ago, cheeztoshobo said:

don't really want to get PS5 because they say it has overheating issues and trouble with downloading big files.

They dont as long as you give it room to breathe. Its also massively better for handling big files. The complaints are actuallt about storage space. Which is on the developers for not optimizing their games.

Also what do you mean battery life? Like the controller? If that its about 15 minutes of work to replace the battery with a new one. Hell you can even add bigger ones nowadays. Or if you dont like that there is the stupid way of a cable + battery bank

9 minutes ago, jaslion said:

@filpo@bezza...

I hope you know that the shortest lifecycle of a playstation was about 6 years. With them only getting longer.

yh the ps5 came out in 2020 so 2026 is a fine guess.....

5 minutes ago, bezza... said:

We're pushing 8 almost so 2026 at best would be a "pro"

If they even do that as their responses to another one are less than positive

There will better PS5 version, smaller ones, more silent, maybe even more powerfull.

The PS5 is too big, it will get smaller.

They already did change a lot inside.

I use a 3m USB cable for my controller, perfect from PS4 to sofa. I know there are up to 5m USB cables (I have one)

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

I've not seen any reports on the PS5 overheating and it has no trouble downloading files, unless you mean the internal storage is a bit small which is unlikely to change, but you just add an NVMe drive.

Had mine since launch though granted a lot of that time I barely used it due to primarily gaming on PC.  Now its my main VR box however as its so much easier to use than PC.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

what i mean by battery life guys is that i feel like it needs to be recharged way more often than it did when i first bought it

+ my cable's a little short so if i connect my controller i can't sit comfortably, maybe i should think about getting a longer cord...

The PS5 is fine. I don't understand your whole narrative you described about it

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface