Budget Pc Build (Dell Optyplex 9020)

Budget (including currency): Only spent 50$

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly Indeed games maybe video editing down the road ??

Other details: This pc has everything stock it appears. Some key features of the build it has 32 gb of ddr3 ram a cpu with integrated graphics but don’t know the exact cpu at this moment in time, and a ssd. This is good for some of the gaming I wanna do, Minecraft, terraria, Valorant, Don’t Starve Together. But I want to know can I put a R9 290X Sapphire Graphics card in to this Dell Optyplex 9020. I know I’ll need a bigger Psu than the 290 Watt Psu that’s currently in there. I just don’t know if the Gpu will work with the Mother board more specifically. (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

C9E4E2B1-9573-465B-902F-F1F6CFE6DBBC.jpeg

It's using a non-standard motherboard power connector and power supply. You won't be able to just swap a regular power supply in. You will need to buy an adapter that converts the standard 24pin connector to the Dell proprietary crap. If you search on ebay there's people selling adapters for the Optiplex 9020. Search "Optiplex 9020 24pin to 8pin power adapter". They're about $10. Just make sure it lists support for the 9020.

Do you already have the R9 290X you want to use? If you don't already have the card it might be cheaper & easier to look at a newer, lower power draw card like the 1650 or 1050ti that gets power just from the PCIe slot so you don't have to replace the power supply. Used those cards are around $70-$100. The R9 290x would perform better, but will consume 4 times as much power and will also require the cost of a new power supply (and extra adapter) that can run it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

100. The R9 290x would perform better, but will consume 4 times as much power and will also require the cost of a new power supply (and extra adapter) that can run it.

Also on that note the 290x hasnt had driver updates in years now since its end of support.

This is causing issues in games that keep recieving updates or newer games. So that is also a big thing to considee

With my 32gb9020sff i7, I went with the low profile GeForce GT1030. 2gddr5, ddr5 being key importantance  I be running dual mon,

I can get 90-120fps  in csgo 

…but a decent flight sim is cumbersome at 25-35

i built mine to mainly to draw,render, slice models  for my 3d printing and it crushes the polygonal maths easily.  Not bad for $100 gpu card and dirt cheap unit

For GPU you could look into something like a 6400 or 1660ti's that don't require extra power, just PCIE lane.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

I have a dell xps8700 which orginally comes with 460w psu 2x6pin gpu cable and reference r9 270

Recommended to update bios to latest in windows, downloading dells bios from website

Now I managed to put a 6+8 pin gtx970 in the system 

But try to see what cpu it is first, its only worth upgrading if its a i7

I would not put much effort for a i5

On 6/7/2023 at 10:56 PM, Spotty said:

It's using a non-standard motherboard power connector and power supply. You won't be able to just swap a regular power supply in. You will need to buy an adapter that converts the standard 24pin connector to the Dell proprietary crap. If you search on ebay there's people selling adapters for the Optiplex 9020. Search "Optiplex 9020 24pin to 8pin power adapter". They're about $10. Just make sure it lists support for the 9020.

Do you already have the R9 290X you want to use? If you don't already have the card it might be cheaper & easier to look at a newer, lower power draw card like the 1650 or 1050ti that gets power just from the PCIe slot so you don't have to replace the power supply. Used those cards are around $70-$100. The R9 290x would perform better, but will consume 4 times as much power and will also require the cost of a new power supply (and extra adapter) that can run it.

The R9 290X graphics cards I do already own just lying around in a box that’s why I want to use it and the computer already came with the 24 pin to 8 pin power adapter from the previous owner who used this pc fit gaming. I’ve only invested 50$ currently and thought a good psu might be a good investment for my future dream pc. But now I have another question, what would be a better gpu in a year or two ? And would it be better to sell my current one and upgrade?? But for now I think I’m going to upgrade the Psu and start there thank you very much !!!! 😁😃😆