Laptop Not Powering On

Finchinating

Hi,

I have a laptop that shows the charge light when plugged into the power adapter but as soon as you press the power button to turn it on the charging light cuts out and the laptop does not power on and none of the power lights come on.

Any ideas what the issue could be with it?

How long was the laptop not use, or is this brand new behavior?

Just if it was not used for a while or stored in hot car, the battery's voltage could have dropped to the point it cannot charge properly.  If that is the case, or this is a new issue you can try opening the laptop, and unplugging the battery.  From there you see if it turns on with just AC power turned on.  If turns on, inspect the batter for swelling and if there is no any try plugging it in and charging over night.  Also if you own a multi meter, it can be really helpful to see if the batter is accepting a charge or has a charge.

Also if this is an older laptop, the battery may just be dead and need to be replaced.  Basically if you can boot with AC only, but it won't boot with the battery plugged in...new battery time.

Finally batteries can go bad a new laptops, so if this is under warranty its time to send it in for repair.

2 minutes ago, DarkWaterSong said:

How long was the laptop not use, or is this brand new behavior?

Just if it was not used for a while or stored in hot car, the battery's voltage could have dropped to the point it cannot charge properly.  If that is the case, or this is a new issue you can try opening the laptop, and unplugging the battery.  From there you see if it turns on with just AC power turned on.  If turns on, inspect the batter for swelling and if there is no any try plugging it in and charging over night.  Also if you own a multi meter, it can be really helpful to see if the batter is accepting a charge or has a charge.

Also if this is an older laptop, the battery may just be dead and need to be replaced.  Basically if you can boot with AC only, but it won't boot with the battery plugged in...new battery time.

Finally batteries can go bad a new laptops, so if this is under warranty its time to send it in for repair.

It's laptop from 2021 so it's fairly new however it hasn't been charged in a few weeks but was fine before that. I was about to replace the cracked screen on it before I realized it didn't power on.

These are great suggestions and I'll give them a try. Thanks for responding so quickly to me!

Yeah, just tested the laptop without the battery and the power lights come on and turn off instantly.

17 minutes ago, Finchinating said:

It's laptop from 2021 so it's fairly new however it hasn't been charged in a few weeks but was fine before that. I was about to replace the cracked screen on it before I realized it didn't power on.

These are great suggestions and I'll give them a try. Thanks for responding so quickly to me!

I watch a lot of the TronicsFix videos, and he goes over troubleshooting batteries in rechargeable devices from laptops to switches...and they all are about the same steps.  Basically if you are lucky, its the battery.  If not....well he has issues fixing laptops when there is an issue on the boards.

https://www.youtube.com/@Tronicsfix/videos

Edit - also that cracked screen could have done other damage, even in the form of power surge.  Also a bad screen could be keeping it from booting.