Fathers day Present rebuilding old Magnavox record player/radio

Sub2pewdiepie

My Father has had an old Magnavox record player/radio stereo chest that belonged to his mother who passed away when my father was 18. The stereo chest has been sitting in the shed at my house rotting away for as long as I can remember (there is actually a mouse nest in it right now). The wood in the chest is still in good condition, basically needs to be sanded down and given a new coat of varnish and sealant to look good as new. The internal electronics however have not faired so well in the elements from hot summers to freezing winters and basically everything needs to be replaced. I like to say I am pretty good at understanding computers and electronics, however, when it comes to speaker systems I am very unknowledgeable. My goal is to be able to get the chest to work as intended, so I would like to get a new turn table as well as have it be able to have a radio, as well as put a good speaker system inside of it with the ability to also connect to the radio. I have no idea what things i would need to buy in order to get this to happen so any and all input is greatly appreciated. 

If i were you, i would get another one of the same kind, that is in better condition and use it as a parts donor.

A good next step is to take it apart and clean it thoroughly and then either start it up slowly and try to reform the capacitors, or just replace all electrolytic capacitors outright.