Protips for backing up data & apps list before fresh Windows install?

GamerMoment

Hey guys,

Recently I've been having issues with my PC, so the measure that I'm about to take is to perform a fresh installation of Windows via the repair utility. Like most of you, I have a shitload of applications and files which I need for very specific use cases pertaining to PC gaming, so my question is: do I just back everything up to my trusty 10 year old 2TB external HDD? And by everything I mean using Windows FileHistory to back up personal stuff, and then copying and pasting the Programs and Programs (x86) folders to that same hard drive so I have a list of applications? All I really want to do is fix this issue so I can play Diablo IV lol but obviously I'll take care to take note of what programs I have installed currently. 

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Motherboard: ASUS TUF B450-PLUS-GAMING CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 ROG Strix EVA Edition 12GB OC Cooling: 3x Noctua NF-A14, 1x Corsair ML140 RGB Elite, 360mm EKWB EK-AIO RGB all-in-one cooler Monitors: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ (portrait 2560x1440) & ASUS ROG Strix XG349C (ultrawide 3440x1440) Peripherals: Logitech G915, G502, G733 OS: Windows 11 64-bit

ive had problem just coping the local dick (c:) i think it has to do with what file system it was and w/e files it needs to make it think it has a bootable os on it. but 99% time it wont boot and just error out.  most mbs dont like a copy and need a new install to make it work but i dont really no what im doing haha...

the recover option has never worked for me ever... so just dont trust it

you can manually select folders and copy them to the dive that should work find thow often i miss some file some were that's why i like the whole c drive.

copying and replacing can also messes things up... maybe just my luck 🤷‍♂️

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

8 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

ive had problem just coping the local dick (c:) i think it has to do with what file system it was and w/e files it needs to make it think it has a bootable os on it. but 99% time it wont boot and just error out.  most mbs dont like a copy and need a new install to make it work but i dont really no what im doing haha...

the recover option has never worked for me ever... so just dont trust it

you can manually select folders and copy them to the dive that should work find thow often i miss some file some were that's why i like the whole c drive.

copying and replacing can also messes things up... maybe just my luck 🤷‍♂️

I think copying the program folders even just to see a list of the applications you were using is probably useful enough. 

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Motherboard: ASUS TUF B450-PLUS-GAMING CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 ROG Strix EVA Edition 12GB OC Cooling: 3x Noctua NF-A14, 1x Corsair ML140 RGB Elite, 360mm EKWB EK-AIO RGB all-in-one cooler Monitors: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ (portrait 2560x1440) & ASUS ROG Strix XG349C (ultrawide 3440x1440) Peripherals: Logitech G915, G502, G733 OS: Windows 11 64-bit

3 minutes ago, GamerMoment said:

I think copying the program folders even just to see a list of the applications you were using is probably useful enough. 

ya it can be but programs install thing in weird arrears. like i think diablo 2 signal player saver els were instead in the d2 folder...

but i guess depnds on what programs you did install how long you went between reformatting. porbly just me not being organized.

seem like even after a format thing dont run the same... 🤷‍♂️ 

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links