Total power draw above 75w overclock

testeras

I overclocked rx 550 to

1370/1800 default voltage and custom fan.

Powerlimit is +45 which means total 72.

These are Core,Aux snd Chip power of gpu in image below.(47, 5, 47)

How it is exceeding 72w?

Is combining them 3 total power draw of gpu?

Sometimes its above 100w, will this fry my pcie slot, its not heavy overclock

IMG_20230607_204704.jpg

Wouldn't core and chip power be basically the same? As the GPU die is just the core, it uses GDDR VRAM which is off-die so that wouldn't be included. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

11 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

Wouldn't core and chip power be basically the same? As the GPU die is just the core, it uses GDDR VRAM which is off-die so that wouldn't be included. 

Why are they not always same value then, sometimes core is 30, chip 50 etc

2 minutes ago, testeras said:

Why are they not always same value then, sometimes core is 30, chip 50 etc

Because chip power takes into account additional logic such as on die memory controllers and caches whereas "core power" is just the power that the shaders are consuming, nothing else.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Because chip power takes into account additional logic such as on die memory controllers and caches whereas "core power" is just the power that the shaders are consuming, nothing else.

So calculating chip + aux is total power draw?

I've been to chatgpt before this post and asked if combining 3 of those is total power draw and he said yes, its a dumb ai after all

2 minutes ago, testeras said:

So calculating chip + aux is total power draw?

For most cases I'm fairly sure that aux power isn't factored into total power draw.

GPU core power is just the GPU cores/shaders, GPU chip is power across the entirely of the chip such as shaders, memory controllers and the caches, GPU board power would then take into account the physical memory modules.

You can always experiment with various overclocks and see what rings true though. Although I'm convinced that aux power is it's own separate thing.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

For most cases I'm fairly sure that aux power isn't factored into total power draw.

GPU core power is just the GPU cores/shaders, GPU chip is power across the entirely of the chip such as shaders, memory controllers and the caches, GPU board power would then take into account the physical memory modules.

You can always experiment with various overclocks and see what rings true though. Although I'm convinced that aux power is it's own separate thing.

So what is power draw then?, this?

IMG_20230608_003216.jpg

1 hour ago, testeras said:

So what is power draw then?, this?

HWMonitor isn't the most accurate tool. Use HWINFO instead.