Pc reboots two - three times before booting up. Bios settings get reset to default.

Go to solution Solved by Whatisthis,
4 minutes ago, KingOfThePirates said:

Standard is cr2032. I’m not aware anyone uses a different size for retail boards. 

Specs

Motherboard: Asus TUF H310M-Plus

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 3000Mhz X2 (16GB total)

CPU: Intel Core i5 9400F

GPU: EVGA 6GB GTX 1660 Mini

PSU: Corsair VS550 550W

Case: No publicly available one. It's manufactured and sold exclusively at my local pc store for when you use their assembly service.

BIOS: Version 3202 (Latest available version)

Inputs

Logitech G512 Keyboard

Logitech G502 Mouse

Tp-Link Bluetooth Dongle

Outputs

1 HDMI Out

1 Display Port Out

Razer Kraken X USB Headset

Issue:

The PC reboots two to three times before starting the proper boot up. When I entered the Bios I noticed a variety of Bios settings I had altered roughly about a year ago suddenly switched to defaults. My XMP profile was disabled and DRAM Frequency was changed to 'Auto' mode instead of 2666Mhz (My Mobos maximum.) If I were to restart the PC after the boot up it would not have the same issue. Neither does it have this issue if I turn it off for a limited amount of time say five minutes or so. If enough time passes between boots however it will once again reset two to three times before booting.

During the reset and booting the splash logo does not appear until the final boot when the PC actually turns on.

Thank you for any potential helpers on this issue.

Edited by KingOfThePirates
Forgot to include BIOS version and PSU Wattage

Replace the bios battery. Most likely cause of this kind of thing. Here is a screenie of the layout with battery in middle toward bottom. Pull the battery and check the type, should be a cr2032.

IMG_1468.png

10 minutes ago, KingOfThePirates said:

Specs

Motherboard: Asus TUF H310M-Plus

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 3000Mhz X2 (16GB total)

CPU: Intel Core i5 9400F

GPU: EVGA 6GB GTX 1660 Mini

PSU: Corsair VS550 550W

Case: No publicly available one. It's manufactured and sold exclusively at my local pc store for when you use their assembly service.

BIOS: Version 3202 (Latest available version)

Inputs

Logitech G512 Keyboard

Logitech G502 Mouse

Tp-Link Bluetooth Dongle

Outputs

1 HDMI Out

1 Display Port Out

Razer Kraken X USB Headset

Issue:

The PC reboots two to three times before starting the proper boot up. When I entered the Bios I noticed a variety of Bios settings I had altered roughly about a year ago suddenly switched to defaults. My XMP profile was disabled and DRAM Frequency was changed to 'Auto' mode instead of 2666Mhz (My Mobos maximum.) If I were to restart the PC after the boot up it would not have the same issue. Neither does it have this issue if I turn it off for a limited amount of time say five minutes or so. If enough time passes between boots however it will once again reset two to three times before booting.

During the reset and booting the splash logo does not appear until the final boot when the PC actually turns on.

Thank you for any potential helpers on this issue.

That's an issue with RAM, it doesn't boot anymore at XMP speeds so BIOS reboots at Jedec speeds

You don't lose much from 2666 to 3000 anyway...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

2 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

That's an issue with RAM, it doesn't boot anymore at XMP speeds so BIOS reboots at Jedec speeds

You don't lose much from 2666 to 3000 anyway...

I've tried setting the RAM to a lower frequency before as it was a recommended fix but the issue was still persisting. Does this mean it could be a hardware issue?

4 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

Replace the bios battery. Most likely cause of this kind of thing.

I'll attempt this fix. Are cmos batteries board specific or will any cmos battery work? I'm not all too familiar with motherboards. Thank you.

4 minutes ago, KingOfThePirates said:

Standard is cr2032. I’m not aware anyone uses a different size for retail boards. 

Edited by Whatisthis
Slow bbs system…edited to show correct battery size.

8 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

Replace the bios battery. Most likely cause of this kind of thing. Here is a screenie of the layout with battery in middle toward bottom. Pull the battery and check the type, should be a cr2032.

IMG_1468.png

I appreciate the response mate thanks a lot for your help.