Need a new Anti-Virus, McAfee has finally gone too far

Go to solution Solved by PDifolco,
8 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Abit offtopic but why pair windows defender with another antivirus like malwarebytes?

id assume windows defender would be more than enough as an antivirus but this is coming from a guy that would rather just not run an antivirus at all

And i have never heard of this antivirus but ill look into it ig

Malwarebytes has some additional features like quarantine and antispam

https://cybernews.com/best-antivirus-software/malwarebytes-vs-microsoft-defender/

Sophos is an old software heard of it a long time ago

Personnaly I've used Avira for along time before Defender was good

So my roommate uses McAfee, and she's finally lost her patience with how it's affecting her computer. There's a number of things she doesn't like, but if I had to pick out the one that makes her really rage, it's the fact that any time she lets the computer go to sleep, she has to remember to change the search engine back to google, since McAfee has decided that yahoo is the only "safe"option for some reason. She's finally gone ahead and ended her McAfee Subscription, but now she's wondering what she should get since she doesn't trust Windows Defender on her windows 11 laptop. 

Personally I think Defender would be ok, but in case I'm wrong, I'd rather ask where people seem to know best. 

Will answer any questions, and add information I've forgotten up here. 

I'm that strange person who uses their phone like it's a laptop, while looking for ways to make their phone more accessible. 

Free one I'd recommend would be Avast. Though have to uncheck some boxes during the insatllation not to get "overprotected" - some features seem redundant to me. And if i remember correctly it also wants to install some "Avast Browser" that can be unchecked in box during installation at least.

Otherwise one of the best of free ones.

I edit my posts more often than not

MalwareBytes is pretty light and efficient, that's what I use to complement Windows Defender - which is in itself enough anyway in most cases...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Sophos is the only third party antivirus I recommend. It's effective and unobtrusive.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

43 minutes ago, Crystal-Hope said:

, but now she's wondering what she should get since she doesn't trust Windows Defender on her windows 11 laptop. 

I mean someone who used McAfee (lolololol) obviously has no clue,no offense! 🤔

Defender is simply the best theres no way around it...

Good when coupled with MWB also (the *free* version because the paid version is actually more annoying) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

19 hours ago, VirusDumb said:

defender with malwarebytes is more than enough

Abit offtopic but why pair windows defender with another antivirus like malwarebytes?

id assume windows defender would be more than enough as an antivirus but this is coming from a guy that would rather just not run an antivirus at all

19 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Sophos is the only third party antivirus I recommend. It's effective and unobtrusive.

51 minutes ago, Crystal-Hope said:

but now she's wondering what she should get since she doesn't trust Windows Defender on her windows 11 laptop. 

She trusted McAffee  but didn't trust Windows Defender?!, She got it backwards.

Windows Defender is what i recommend.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

8 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

https://cybernews.com/best-antivirus-software/malwarebytes-vs-microsoft-defender/

Sophos is an old software heard of it a long time ago

Personnaly I've used Avira for along time before Defender was good

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

57 minutes ago, Crystal-Hope said:

So my roommate uses McAfee, and she's finally lost her patience with how it's affecting her computer. There's a number of things she doesn't like, but if I had to pick out the one that makes her really rage, it's the fact that any time she lets the computer go to sleep, she has to remember to change the search engine back to google, since McAfee has decided that yahoo is the only "safe"option for some reason. She's finally gone ahead and ended her McAfee Subscription, but now she's wondering what she should get since she doesn't trust Windows Defender on her windows 11 laptop. 

Personally I think Defender would be ok, but in case I'm wrong, I'd rather ask where people seem to know best. 

Will answer any questions, and add information I've forgotten up here. 

Just make sure you really uninstall that shit.

Took me a bit of research to figure out that it only really uninstall if I use their special uninstaller for it.

Damn thing came pre-installed on my laptop.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

19 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

because defender is good for overall system (think firewall besides AV stuff etc) but MWB is actually more reliable in finding actual threats like viruses etc AND the thing is its one of very few programs that can run alongside windows defender just fine (remember most paid ie trash AV turn defender off first thing...)

edit: TBH you really only need defender,  MWB is just a second layer,  and both are extremely lightweight so why not = )

ps: Basically lets say defender finds "something" I'll check with MWB and it'll say in 99% no threats... (and then I'll probably also check with VT which typically agrees with MWB) hence MWB is more reliable,  defender is a bit trigger happy, but i don't fault it for it, its very rare that this happens and better safe than sorry, right,  still one of the best AV out there. 

9 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

maybe useful for some but i honestly prefer the free version,  i either check certain files or whole drives (it doesn't make sense to scan only one drive imo, you gotta scan them all, viruses can be everywhere,  alsoMWB has rootkit scan) but yes, you need to do this manually in the free version,  which frankly isnt exactly rocketscience, hence i absolutely prefer this and for "live" protection i always have defender ~

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Windows defender scores a lot higher than mcaffee so I'd say let her get comfortable with it.

Other than that malwarebytes makes a nice extra add on

There is one called Eset NOD32, has been pretty great for some time. But it can be annoying with "potential" dangerous files. - Can be deselected during installation though. -It's not free.

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

Hello there fellow PC-owner,

Well what "anti-virus" to be used is a really hard question to answer as there are a lot of free and paid programs that can be used.

For example I used:

- Nod32

- Avast;

- Avira;

- Norton;

- Kaspersky;

- Panda;

And a lot more in the past, lately I have used "Spybot" and "Malwarebytes" which are really nice combo (not running at the same time that is) on a daily scans, but for lesser PC knowledgeable folks that simply want to use the computer for watching movies , view few articles and write on MS Office I honestly can suggest Kasperskey as it blocks sus websites, sus popups and its not that demanding when it scans in the background. 

13 minutes ago, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

There is one called Eset NOD32, has been pretty great for some time. But it can be annoying with "potential" dangerous files. - Can be deselected during installation though. -It's not free.

this is good... but also kinda bad... you kinda *need* PuP detection... hence defender/mwb is the better option still (especially since free)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

this is good... but also kinda bad... you kinda *need* PuP detection... hence defender/mwb is the better option still (especially since free)

whoa, has malwarebytes always been free?? I remember it kept prompting me to upgrade. Maybe I downloaded the wrong edition before 😛 

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

8 minutes ago, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

whoa, has malwarebytes always been free?? I remember it kept prompting me to upgrade. Maybe I downloaded the wrong edition before 😛 

There's of course a paid version but free version is great too.

I edit my posts more often than not

14 minutes ago, ZFPuhiOwns said:

Kaspersky

Ive been untrusting them since forever with the amount of phone homes they do on a country with lax privacy laws and with the current cyber geopol landscape? I wouldnt touch Kaspersky with even a 10 foot pole.

5 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

ESET is quite nice but yeah as you say, Unwanted Program detection is quite huge especially for adwares. Sophos also is a good shout but their database for mobile security is horse ass so stick to their desktop offering. But yeah, been running Malwarebytes-Defender-2nd Thoughts combo for a while and still gonna trust it for even more.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 hour ago, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

whoa, has malwarebytes always been free??

yeah, afaik.  i don't get any prompts either... if you open it it tells you about premium but just a banner on the main page, so...

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

Just make sure you really uninstall that shit.

Took me a bit of research to figure out that it only really uninstall if I use their special uninstaller for it.

Damn thing came pre-installed on my laptop.

Special Uninstaller? Imma need some hands with this one I'm betting. 

I'm that strange person who uses their phone like it's a laptop, while looking for ways to make their phone more accessible. 

1 hour ago, Crystal-Hope said:

Special Uninstaller? Imma need some hands with this one I'm betting. 

https://www.mcafee.com/support/?articleId=TS101331&page=shell&shell=article-view

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.