Motherboard resistor corroded

Frug_E

So I can’t start up my pc at all and I believe it’s because this part (I think it’s a resistor) got corroded by a screw that came loose inside the laptop. If anyone knows some place or someone that can repair it please do tell me. But I’ve been looking and I haven’t been able to find anyone. So how exactly if I were to do this on my own would I replace the small little part. It’s seems a little daunting but I don’t feel like I have a choice since I can’t find a place to repair it.

BD457BD8-8810-4B52-ADC3-D7B28AE50DE2.jpeg

The motherboard probably shorted from the screw. The laptop might be toast

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

4 minutes ago, Deadpool2onBlu-Ray said:

The motherboard probably shorted from the screw. The laptop might be toast

So even if the part was replaced you don’t think it would work? The screw when I found it was lodged in between the CPU heat sink and the part. So it can’t imagine it instantly corroded the piece of metal and probably slowly did it until it killed that one piece of the board. 

Just now, Frug_E said:

So even if the part was replaced you don’t think it would work? The screw when I found it was lodged in between the CPU heat sink and the part. So it can’t imagine it instantly corroded the piece of metal and probably slowly did it until it killed that one piece of the board. 

Potentially. How much is your time worth to you? I'd get something else. I don't even know where you would get the replacement part

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

Are you talking about the component right next to "PL5401"? That component is a capacitor. If you search for "ceramic smd capacitor" you will see hundred of examples, as capacitors are used a lot. Resistors are a different component, they are usually black and have a three digit value written on them (although not always).

Capacitors come in different values (voltage and capacitance) and sizes, so it's key to get the right component to replace this with, assuming this is the component at fault.

You'd need to look for a repair place that does board level repair. While it's not that difficult to solder one into place and it's not that difficult to remove this one, it is difficult to do it all cleanly and get the right component, if you are not too familiar with the component or soldering.

Also, always unplug the battery before doing anything on the board, unless you know what you're doing.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/