M.2 recognized by BIOS, but not as a Boot Drive

iovey
Go to solution Solved by iovey,

Based on a random reddit post from like 2 years ago, I used MSI’s “Secure Erase+” tool in the bios, and for some bizarre reason it worked. No clue what was stuck in there stopping me from installing windows that the previous dozen wipe+formats couldn’t find, but we made it boys. Thanks for trying to help @Needfuldoer <3

Trying to switch my Windows installation over to my new M.2 drive so I can put my SATA drives back in my old system to give to my girlfriend. Drive is detected perfectly fine by the bios, within windows as a secondary drive, and by the windows media creation tool. Unfortunately, no matter how many times I've tried, MCT "finishes up," the system reboots, and the MCT opens back up with nothing changed except the drive is now partitioned and 10gb's are being used. The BIOS does not allow me to select the M.2 drive in the boot menu at all, in either UEFI or CSM mode. Diskpart lists it as GPT. If I put my SATA drive back in it gives me a boot error, but I can just hit F9 and pick the SATA volume and I can get back into my old install. Im currently making a new bootable USB via Rufus, but any other ideas what it could be?

MB: MSI MAG b650m
Drive: WD 770 2tb
CPU: 7800x3d

Actually, it *does* show up in Legacy mode, but it just tells me to insert boot device if i give it priority.

Sounds like it added the M.2 drive as an additional boot option to the bootloader on your SATA drive, instead of creating the UEFI bootloader partition on the M.2.

Can you wipe the M.2 clean and do a fresh install?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

5 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Sounds like it added the M.2 drive as an additional boot option to the bootloader on your SATA drive, instead of creating the UEFI bootloader partition on the M.2.

Can you wipe the M.2 clean and do a fresh install?

I've been removing the SATA drive during installation and have been reformatting between installs

I guess sorta related but if I launch with the SATA drive installed and pick the M.2 Drive's installation in the recovery boot manager, it just power cycles. SATA volume will launch fine.

Based on a random reddit post from like 2 years ago, I used MSI’s “Secure Erase+” tool in the bios, and for some bizarre reason it worked. No clue what was stuck in there stopping me from installing windows that the previous dozen wipe+formats couldn’t find, but we made it boys. Thanks for trying to help @Needfuldoer <3