Best value PSU for one month? 13900KF, 4080

Jon-Slow
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
15 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

I'm willing to put a power limit on my CPU/GPU. the 13900KF practically works the same with a serious power limit and I can clock my GPU at 90% with afterburner. I roughly know that a  850w is going to be okay under such conditions, but really need other people's and maybe a more professional input on if I should do it or not. Just for a month while my main is coming back from RMA. 850w is so much cheaper than +1000w

A good 850w runs this at stock. A fair amount of people do it and most have it with a rmx850

What's the best value PSU for me to use for 1 month while my Corsair 1200w goes for RMA? I made sure to never buy Corsair after the warranty flipped me off over the shitty keyboard but I broke my own rule and it backfired. The 1200w's fan went bad a few month after purchase and needs to go for RMA. This time I will definitely never buy Corsair again 4real 4real!

What are some budget options for a 13900KF, 4080 machine to keep me going for just a month while my Corsair returns from RMA? Basically just something that costs little and keeps me going for a month. I could go through the PSU cultist list and find out the prices and compare but I thought someone here has to already know this information. Thanks.

A rm850(x) is probably the cheapest you can go to run this at STOCK.

Other options would be a enermax rev d.f., msi mpg or the new one,...

11 minutes ago, jaslion said:

A rm850(x) is probably the cheapest you can go to run this at STOCK.

Other options would be a enermax rev d.f., msi mpg or the new one,...

I'm willing to put a power limit on my CPU/GPU. the 13900KF practically works the same with a serious power limit and I can clock my GPU at 90% with afterburner. I roughly know that a  850w is going to be okay under such conditions, but really need other people's and maybe a more professional input on if I should do it or not. Just for a month while my main is coming back from RMA. 850w is so much cheaper than +1000w

15 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

A good 850w runs this at stock. A fair amount of people do it and most have it with a rmx850

54 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

What are some budget options for a 13900KF, 4080 machine to keep me going for just a month while my Corsair returns from RMA? Basically just something that costs little and keeps me going for a month.

Just throwing this out there to consider but instead of buying a cheap power supply to use temporarily, why not buy a permanent replacement and then sell the replacement unit you get from Corsair when you get it. Any PSU good and high wattage enough to use with a 13900KF + 4080 is going to cost in excess of $100 and it seems from your post that you're not keen on using the replacement Corsair power supply anyway.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Jon-Slow said:

What's the best value PSU for me to use for 1 month while my Corsair 1200w goes for RMA? I made sure to never buy Corsair after the warranty flipped me off over the shitty keyboard but I broke my own rule and it backfired. The 1200w's fan went bad a few month after purchase and needs to go for RMA. This time I will definitely never buy Corsair again 4real 4real!

What are some budget options for a 13900KF, 4080 machine to keep me going for just a month while my Corsair returns from RMA? Basically just something that costs little and keeps me going for a month. I could go through the PSU cultist list and find out the prices and compare but I thought someone here has to already know this information. Thanks.

I don't get what's your problem with Corsair, their PSU are amongst the best - then there will alaways be some defective units...

You can't use any real cheap PSU with a 4080 that need a 600W connector, you need at least 650W single rail

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Just throwing this out there to consider but instead of buying a cheap power supply to use temporarily, why not buy a permanent replacement and then sell the replacement unit you get from Corsair when you get it. Any PSU good and high wattage enough to use with a 13900KF + 4080 is going to cost in excess of $100 and it seems from your post that you're not keen on using the replacement Corsair power supply anyway.

I'm just scared of not being able to sell it, or  be able to sell it for a fair price. But I did think about that yes. I'll give it some more consideration. 

1 hour ago, PDifolco said:

I don't get what's your problem with Corsair,

I bought a K68 keyboard that had its keys poping out after only 6 months and 5 of its keys just broke down, like the plastic at the base of those keys just fell apart. Even my chinese OEM mechanical keyboard before this and my cheap Cooler Master at work worked for years without issues. But the main problem was that Corsair told me this is not covered by them and they're not even willing to take a look. This was baffeling to me because clearly something was wrong with the keyboard when keys were randomly falling out on regular use, had to be put back it, get lose and then break after falling out several times.

Finding replacement keys for it was an impossible task because their layout is very different and I had to order from China because the ones sold by Corsair themselves were too expensive. I just threw it away and replaced it with another Cooler Master that costed 1/4 of the K68 and been great. Additionally, the K68 switches were needlessly soldered in, preventing me from using other switches if I wanted to. But overall their customer service attitude and their quickness to dismiss my case was what made me feel awful about them. And here we are sometime later with their PSU fan breaking down only after 4-5 months of use. I know every brand and model could have their fair share of faults and flaws but there is only so many times you could feel bad about one brand before you start to dislike it.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Thanks, I might go for it then for it then. I'll have to see which one is the best option between this and what @Spotty suggested.

46 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

I bought a K68 keyboard t

Different bussiness unit

Corsair keyboard are meh at best. Their psu's have historically been top end for the last 15+ years