Hating Apple is Getting REALLY Hard - WWDC 2023

Plouffe

It's that time of year again, and Apple is launching some pretty cool tech! Vision Pro, 15" MacBook Air, and an impressive new Mac Pro are all coming to an Apple store near you for a hefty price.

Well the same way, that people are thought to hate the sin, but not the sinners. Personally, I think very few hate apple. They just think they do. That's why there are a lot of people who's using apple products. But even those who use them and locked to the apple ecosystem, hate some of the things they do(probably most). Yeah I guess most... 

I really can't see as THAT revolutionary, this really looks like more early 1990's Apple move than Steve Jobs 2000's Apple move...

2 hours of battery, expensive, invasive (since you literally have to put on your face), not comfortable for long periods like any headset...Seriously, this isn't looks like a expensive toy?

What was revolutionary to me: Smartphones and internet, you literally can't do anything today without these two...They are essential. What is essential on have a Vision Pro? 🤷‍♂️

Made In Brazil 🇧🇷

I was at the office and was laughing like a maniac through the whole trailer. I could not believe how absolutely ridiculous everyone and everything looked in it. The guy talking to his kids through the glasses did me in, I died laughing. Like take out the stupid galss and look at your kids with your natural eyes man. I was reminded of all of those Jacksfilms Apple parodies from back in the day.

Here is all of your stupid daily tasks, with a giant brick stuck to your face.

32 minutes ago, csmt said:

Ah yes 3499$ something every consumer can effort because we all have too much money and poor people dont exist /s

"But you have to buy a high power gaming PC or a console for a Valve Index or PS VR so therefore this is not expensive. Have you seen what Microsoft charges for HoloLens 2, which is an objectively inferior experience?"

- Actual arguments I've seen from Apple fanatics attempting to justify the price

24 minutes ago, kitnoman said:

Well the same way, that people are thought to hate the sin, but not the sinners. Personally, I think very few hate apple. They just think they do. That's why there are a lot of people who's using apple products. But even those who use them and locked to the apple ecosystem, hate some of the things they do(probably most). Yeah I guess most... 

For me it's not "hate", it's "disappointment". I remember the Spindler and Amelio years, and in some ways it feels like they've returned.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I'd say Linus take on the last WAN show was spot on. This is just a public devkit.

Sure it's pricey, but if you are planning to develop SW for what will be available in a few years it gives you a head start at an acceptable price.

Sure it clunky and battery life is joke, not much difference than any other VR headset, only with more specs looking into the future.

My guess:

Sometimes in late 2024 or 25 we will see a 2nd gen that is less bulky and comes with better battery life.

A few years later we will see a "VisionAir", or "VisionSE" at 1-1.5k$ looking like an actual ski google (and being of similar weight) not requiring extra lenses for us with glasses.

At that time there will be a full ecosystem of apps making it a "sensible" buy.

Just like every iPhone before the 4 (or 4s, or 5 depending whom you ask) was a gimmicky compromise that turned out to be essential for the mass success of every model that followed.

2023, Apple releases their new virtual boy, for $3499 ONLY

Asus ROG G531GT : i7-9750H - GTX 1650M +700mem - MSI RX6600 Armor 8G M.2 eGPU - Samsung 16+8GB PC4-2666 - Samsung 860 EVO 500G 2.5" - 1920x1080@145Hz (172Hz) IPS panel

Family PC : i5-4570 (-125mV) - cheap dual-pipe cooler - Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 Rev1.1 - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB PC3-1600 - Corsair VX450W - an old Thermaltake ATX case

Test bench 1 G3260 - i5-4690K - 6-pipe cooler - Asus Z97-AR - Panram Blue Lightsaber 2x4GB PC3-2800 - Micron CT500P1SSD8 NVMe - Intel SSD320 40G SSD

iMac 21.5" (late 2011) : i5-2400S, HD 6750M 512MB - Samsung 4x4GB PC3-1333 - WT200 512G SSD (High Sierra) - 1920x1080@60 LCD

Test bench 2: G3260 - H81M-C - Kingston 2x4GB PC3-1600 - Winten WT200 512G

Acer Z5610 "Theatre" C2 Quad Q9550 - G45 Express - 2x2GB PC3-1333 (Samsung) - 1920x1080@60Hz Touch LCD - great internal speakers

3 hours ago, Kronoton said:

Sure it's pricey, but if you are planning to develop SW for what will be available in a few years it gives you a head start at an acceptable price.

Unless no mainstream use case for VR exists.

Remember, Facebook sunk fifteen billions on trying to create a mainstream use case out of thin air, and are no closer to creating one than they started. I'd argue Facebook efforts have only made consumers even more adverse to VR because of how toxic the word Metaverse has become. Notice that not even once has Apple mentioned the word Metaverse, and even the word AR, settling for a new word "Spatial Computing".

15 minutes ago, 05032-Mendicant-Bias said:

Unless no mainstream use case for VR exists.

Dunno, everything we have seen sofar from Google Glasses to PlayStation and the Quest is like Cyberpunks in the 90s running around with pagers and PDAs.

Sure looked silly and everyone was having a blast, but that is pretty much the closest one could get to what having a smartphone is today.

So yeah, the VisionPro is doomed to fail, but there is also a good chance that tech will evolve to the point where having a 5th generation of that same tech is just as normal as carrying around a smartphone 24/7 is today.

I'm sure Apple has a plan for this thing. My first reaction also was "aw man, they've got a whole Google Glass moment on their hands here", but it's important to remember that Apple isn't Google and they don't tend to just launch stuff only to then completely forget about it.

Sure, it looks silly now, but the possibilities with a headset that can blend AR with VR are pretty much endless. Not to mention that AR headsets are already being used in some industries where people need to have access to additional information while being able to use their hands for other things.

I really do think that this is more of an iPhone moment than a Google Glass moment. Apple didn't invent the smartphone and they certainly didn't invent AR/VR glasses, but until now such devices were only really used by nerds and in really niche use cases. The first iPhone was also expensive and lacked lots of features that many people considered essential (not to mention it didn't even have apps), but within only a few years Apple improved it so much that it re-shaped the entire mobile phone industry. They kinda have a history of doing this stuff (the iPod immediately comes to mind as well).

I'm not sure if I like the thought of it, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if 10 years from now these things will have replaced smartphones. They'll probably look like ordinary glasses or even be implanted to your eye (that's where it gets kinda scary, but I assure you, it's going to happen), but they will work much like this does.

Meanwhile in 2024: Ivy Bridge-E has finally retired from gaming (but is still not dead).

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X; 64GB DDR5-6000; Radeon RX 6800XT Reference / Server: Intel Xeon 1680V2; 64GB DDR3-1600 ECC / Laptop:  Dell Precision 5540; Intel Core i7-9850H; NVIDIA Quadro T1000 4GB; 32GB DDR4

5 hours ago, csmt said:

Ah yes 3499$ something every consumer can effort because we all have too much money and poor people dont exist /s

From the way it was advertised, it felt more like a HoloLens competitor with entertainment features rather than something they expect someone who is buying a Valve Index.

Let's look at what was not said here (note: I do not own any Apple products - I'm not a fanboy).

If Apple is launching a product at that price, they are doing one of two things. 1) announcing their intention to be big players in the AR space for the foreseeable, 2) showing just how much money they've put into R&D and potentially how much they will continue to, and more importantly, 3) they see an actual use case for this product with consumers.

For a company like Apple to publically back a technology like this is actually quite exciting. Yes, we've had Oculus and others, but they have been aimed predominantly at the gaming market for consumers.

I'm not saying they'll succeed, but I am saying that they fully intend to succeed and will be putting their money where their mouth is going forward. That, for AR and VR, is massive in my opinion

7 hours ago, csmt said:

Pro products aren't designed for consumers.  Presumably in the future Apple will release the consumer model.  

While I am not one of them, there are lots of people with too much money that will gladly purchase one.

Lmao imagine devs making a horror game that could scan your whole house, you would be able to move around your house then suddenly with its AR sensor features you see a demon blocking your only exit after baiting you into going at your own room lol imagine the trauma.

There's only ONE use for the headset that's gonna be popular 😉

On a serious note, it cant replace my monitor or TV. I'm not gonna sit there wearing a heavy headset to watch a movie nor working for the whole day wearing one. Maybe for travelling?

2 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

Pro products aren't designed for consumers.  Presumably in the future Apple will release the consumer model.  

While I am not one of them, there are lots of people with too much money that will gladly purchase one.

Pro products do target consumers...

Apple slaps the Pro label on every product they can, even on wireless earbuds which aren't professional grade.

You won't see professionals mixing songs with AirPods Pro.

Also what Professional could you possibly target with this AR headset?!

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

9 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Apple slaps the Pro label on every product they can, even on wireless earbuds which aren't professional grade.

Anyone whose company was considering using HoloLens might instead consider if the downsides of dealing with Apple are worth having what seems likely to just be a much better device. HoloLens 2 was being tested for data centers for being able to have experts remotely guide employees to perform more specialized maintenance instead of paying to fly them across the country and pay for them to be at a hotel for a day or two.

37 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Consumers buy Pro products for many reasons, and yes part of the target market is consumers with lots of money, but the Vision Pro, Mac Pro, iMac Pro... etc are business focused computer products.  Accessories less so, I concede that point.
And yet many small businesses use the AirPods Pro for videos and calls, and live on location audio. 

But even if you simply believe Pro = Expensive, it's a ridiculous complaint to say it's too expensive.

Corporate type work... Developers.  Simulations.  Meetings.  Product briefings.  Client presentations of things like architecture.  

With remote work, this could be a new common tool, like a smartphone and laptop in the home office for the social interaction of work to collaborate.

Training.  Not just schools, but for companies, as eye tracking metrics will be valuable!

Lawyers could use it to talk with clients in jail, or attend court remotely.

Doctors could learn how to do surgeries, or attend conferences remotely to present their research.

Pharmacists could build tools for drug interactions with UI that leads to less mistakes.

Engineers could simulate and test designs of large scale projects and virtually walk through a mall before it's built.

Tens of thousands of companies around the world will be ordering 10-100 of these for executives and developers and power users, with fewer mass ordering them before it's proven to be successful.

I have mixed feelings towards this new offering from Apple; it is definitely a piece of cool tech, but part of me wishes we'd travelled further down the road that Google Glass was building rather than straying off to make a kind of/kind of not VR headset. It'll be interesting to see where we're at in a few years though, for sure! 

Glowing screen captures,

Sleep eludes, lost in pixels,

Restless eyes still yearn.

-ChatGPT; the greatest poet of our generation.

15 minutes ago, MantraWeasel said:

but part of me wishes we'd travelled further down the road that Google Glass was building rather than straying off to make a kind of/kind of not VR headset

I'd say for AR/VR to really catch on it needs to be VisionPro specs in a Google Glass form factor.

Starting with the specs and grinding the form factor down over time seems the logical path for me. 

I have some words on thumbnail artist work. Done not great 6/10 😉 

4 hours ago, Vishera said:

THIS.

I had an argument with a friend who swore by these and thinks they're better than any Audio Technica peripheral. 

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

1 hour ago, Xiee said:
6 hours ago, Vishera said:

THIS.

I had an argument with a friend who swore by these and thinks they're better than any Audio Technica peripheral. 

You never know. Most audio professionals are in their 30s and 40s, which we scientifically know... is not the best age for an audiophile. Heck, even when using audiophile-grade gear, the actual mixing experts can only guess the lossless track correctly about 65%-ish of the time. 

And, according to Rick Beato... most musicians and mixing experts used (or at least, used to use) equipment that would make an audiophile weep. This is partially because mixing experts are more concerned about how sound "feels" to regular people and the types of devices normal people will use, rather than how it necessarily sounds on pro-grade equipment.

Even if, despite all that, wouldn't AirPods Pro latency be an issue? 

5 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

But even if you simply believe Pro = Expensive, it's a ridiculous complaint to say it's too expensive.

Corporate type work... Developers.  Simulations.  Meetings.  Product briefings.  Client presentations of things like architecture.  

This. I hate WFH, but my job is fully remote. Work at libraries and such about 80% of the time. But that requires hunching over a laptop. 3 monitors in front of me, easily portable, could actually use at library? I'd possibly buy it to spare the damage my neck is going to endure for the laptop habit. It actually becomes quite easy to justify versus chiropractor visits.

That assumes that the latency, and text clarity, is as Apple promises.

5 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

Not just schools, but for companies, as eye tracking metrics will be valuable!

Apple stated in the presentation that apps, and websites, cannot see where the user is looking. There's apparently a way to provide glance-based interaction without the app or website being aware. They said this was by design as a tracking prevention tool.