Ryzen 9 5950x - 85-97 C while doing basic browsing, idle around 60 C

Hello all,

I am at a standstill regarding this. It all started due to an error I get playing Warzone but noticed my CPU temps were very high.

Based on research I see that the Ryzen 5950x shouldn't go past 90 degree under load. However, I noticed that even doing basic things like browsing the internet It's in the upper 80 degree mark.

My current setup is as followed:

• MB: ASUS X570-E Gaming BIOS Version 4602 (03/14/2023)
    • All settings in BIOS is left to default.
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
    • Cooling: LianLi Galahand 360 AIO
  • RAM: G. Skill 3600 64 GB (2x32 GB)
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
  • PSU: Seasonic FOCUS GW-850 850W 80+ Gold

Here is my computer's temperature results just browsing and re-downloading applications after a fresh reinstall of Windows 11.

image.thumb.png.33b2108517d92b5efded3b70d1233362.png

Things I've done:

• Complete reinstall of Windows 11
  • Updated BIOS
  • Cleaned out any dust in PC case
  • Reapplied thermal paste
  • Redid wiring of fans.
  • Check the fans are all working.
  • I can see, through HWMonitor, that my pump RPM is at the desired 3300 RPM so I'm assuming the pump is working.

Please any help would be appreciated.

I'm just running out of ideas.

Them 'max' voltages look a bit on the high side, do you have PBO on? If so, turn that off and see if temps improve.

When it's 'hot', feel the top of your pump block. Is it warm/hot as well? If not, then it's not making good contact for whichever reason. Check and re-seat it again.

If it is, then it's just not providing adequate cooling. Whether the pump is not actually moving liquid, it's not good enough for your chip, there's no liquid at all, there's a bubble causing the flow to be stuck, or something.

Main: 5900X | RTX 3070 | Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite | 32GB DDR4-3600 | 1TB SN750 + 2TB WD SATA SSD

WinXP: Ph2 945 | GTX 750 Ti | Asus M4A79XTD-EVO | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 320GB WD HDD

DOS/Win95: 200MMX | S3 Trio64v2/DX + Diamond Monster 3D | Asus P5-99VM | 64MB PC100 | 80GB IDE HDD

Apple IIe Enh.: 65C02 | 64K RAM | 2xDisk II | SSC - Post

8 minutes ago, gen_angry said:

Them 'max' voltages look a bit on the high side, do you have PBO on? If so, turn that off and see if temps improve.

When it's 'hot', feel the top of your pump block. Is it warm/hot as well? If not, then it's not making good contact for whichever reason. Check and re-seat it again.

If it is, then it's just not providing adequate cooling. Whether the pump is not actually moving liquid, it's not good enough for your chip, there's no liquid at all, there's a bubble causing the flow to be stuck, or something.

Thank you or the reply.

I have done the following:

• Touch the top of the pump, it's slightly warm but not overly hot.
  • Disabled the following in BiOS:
    • PBO Max Enhancer
    • Prevision Boost Overdrive

Restarted computer and only browsed a few minutes and here are the results:

image.png.81a05d348f365f155488fc97e8817c5d.png

Assuming I want to rule out the CPU cooler, I'm assuming the only options I have is put a different cooler on it or reach out for LianLi for support?

23 minutes ago, Trickzz said:

Thank you or the reply.

• PBO Max Enhancer

Assuming I want to rule out the CPU cooler, I'm assuming the only options I have is put a different cooler on it or reach out for LianLi for support?

I would reach out to Lian Li, try reseating the cooler anyways. Put some new thermal paste on and see if that helps.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

43 minutes ago, Trickzz said:

Thank you or the reply.

• PBO Max Enhancer

Does it show the same temperatures with Ryzen Master? HWMonitor can sometimes be inaccurate/off with it's reading with 5000 and 7000 series chips. Another good option is HWInfo if Ryzen Master doesn't work for you for some reason.

Really, the only thing that you can do about temperature problems is check/replace/upgrade the cooler. There isn't really any other component that causes extra heat like that (except maybe if you're trying to overclock a 5950X on a first gen motherboard with really shit VRM) but pretty much every x570 board can handle a 5950X at stock no problems.

Main: 5900X | RTX 3070 | Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite | 32GB DDR4-3600 | 1TB SN750 + 2TB WD SATA SSD

DOS/Win95: 200MMX | S3 Trio64v2/DX + Diamond Monster 3D | Asus P5-99VM | 64MB PC100 | 80GB IDE HDD

15 hours ago, PcBeExpensive said:

I would reach out to Lian Li, try reseating the cooler anyways. Put some new thermal paste on and see if that helps.

Thanks for the suggestion. I reseated the cooler and reapplied thermal paste with no luck. Same results.

Going to reached out to Lian LI.

14 hours ago, gen_angry said:

Does it show the same temperatures with Ryzen Master? HWMonitor can sometimes be inaccurate/off with it's reading with 5000 and 7000 series chips. Another good option is HWInfo if Ryzen Master doesn't work for you for some reason.

Really, the only thing that you can do about temperature problems is check/replace/upgrade the cooler. There isn't really any other component that causes extra heat like that (except maybe if you're trying to overclock a 5950X on a first gen motherboard with really shit VRM) but pretty much every x570 board can handle a 5950X at stock no problems.

Downloaded Ryzen Master and as I'm typing right now, it's idling around 75-80 C. Which I know is very high.

I am going to reach out to Lian Li to see what they have to say about it but I may end up replacing it, any recommendations I would appreciate it. I see online some people recommend the Liquid Freezer 360 by Artic.

23 minutes ago, Trickzz said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I reseated the cooler and reapplied thermal paste with no luck. Same results.

Downloaded Ryzen Master and as I'm typing right now, it's idling around 75-80 C. Which I know is very high.

I am going to reach out to Lian Li to see what they have to say about it but I may end up replacing it, any recommendations I would appreciate it. I see online some people recommend the Liquid Freezer 360 by Artic.

Yeah try replacing the cooler, buy a air cooler like deecool ak620 and see if that does anything.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

30 minutes ago, Trickzz said:

I'm using an arctic esports 34 duo for my 5900X, load temp is around 70-75 and idle is 30. Very happy with it.

From what I read though, the liquid freezer is one of the best AIOs around.

16 hours ago, Trickzz said:

Thank you or the reply.

• PBO Max Enhancer

Just for giggles, take the cooler off and snap a picture of both the cooler and cpu contact area right after you take the cooler off. A lot of times you can tell contact issues from a pic of the thermal compound. If it looks good, then something else in the aio is malfunctioning.

Im getting the same problem with my 5950x only not a severe, when im browsing im getting high 60s to low 70s, im considering switching to amd5 or get a 360 from a 280