Repairing GPU on old HP dv9000 / Using an external GPU on a laptop

NastyTacky

I got my hands on an old faulty hp dv9000 with an AMD turion 64x2 CPU and an Nvidia GPU. I'm almost certain the GPU is the problem, and I've been wondering what I should do.

I know that on more recent laptops you are able to use an external GPU, but I'm not sure what (if anything) would work for a laptop as old as what I've got. Not to mention I've never done anything like that.
An alternative would be to pull the GPU out of an identical 2nd motherboard I got with the laptop. The motherboard is fried, but the GPU might(?) still work. Again, I don't know how I would go about doing that.
The final alternative would be to buy a £50 - £150 fully working motherboard, which is something I'd rather avoid for now.

Any ideas on what I should do? I don't really need to have this laptop working, but it could make for a fun retro machine to have for old games or just for the sake of it.

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, NastyTacky said:

I know that on more recent laptops you are able to use an external GPU, but I'm not sure what (if anything) would work for a laptop as old as what I've got.

I'm not familiar with the mainboard for this particular laptop, but it seems like moving the GPU from one mainboard to another is quite the colossal undertaking given the GPUs for laptops are typically integrated into the mainboard itself. Does this laptop have a modular GPU design or are you considering heating the GPU core off the board and re-soldering it to another board?

I assume if you were considering the later, you likely wouldn't need advice from this forum though.

But if you can't get the laptop to work, I'd spend 50-150 on a mini pc like a Pi before putting money into such an old laptop.