Options for brands of Televisions.. LG CX failed me. (OLED55CXPUA)

Twolf

So, trying to decide on a new Television for my mother. Just over 2 years ago, I got her an LG 55 inch CX model that was on sale for 1300 (LG OLED55CXPUA), got the extended warranty (which only added a year to the only 1 year warranty LG was offering). The warranty ended 4 months ago. Just last week, module blows out on the t.v. She doesn't use it more than 2 or 3 hours at a time and never leaves it on, and being it's a dusty area, she dusts her house once a week (and yes even canned air to the electronics).  Repair tech knew instantly what part it was too, as apparently it's a common problem with that model of LG OLED.  The downside, the part costs almost as much as the T.V. (part was around 970 minimum + shipping, and then there's the labor for the tech).  So instead, that thing is heading to e-waste recycling and looking for a new t.v.  55 inch is preferred, and obviously she doesn't want to go backwards from the oled's picture quality.  Just want to find a brand/model that isn't going to die right after the warranty ends.

Disappointed since of course I went through several reviews and forum threads (including in here) before I made the purchase. Fairly sure there was even a wild Linus in a video about this one.  Only to have it die like that and find out that it's a common thing with that model (and that it also always seems to happen just outside of warranty according to this tech).... I'm not exactly keen on LG again.

The problem with reviews is they they inherently cannot predict the future and tell you what is going to appear as a problem 1, 2, 5 years down the line.

It really fucking sucks that you bought a TV with a common issue, but it's very likely that people are still going to recommend a new LG OLED TV because they're the sweet spot for price and performance.

Sony's OLED televisions are also phenomenal. They're generally the best TVs you can purchase. There's barely any picture quality difference between an OLED now and an OLED from like 5 years ago, so you can't really make a mistake buying your mother an older model.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

4 hours ago, Twolf said:

So, trying to decide on a new Television for my mother. Just over 2 years ago, I got her an LG 55 inch CX model that was on sale for 1300 (LG OLED55CXPUA), got the extended warranty (which only added a year to the only 1 year warranty LG was offering). The warranty ended 4 months ago. Just last week, module blows out on the t.v. She doesn't use it more than 2 or 3 hours at a time and never leaves it on, and being it's a dusty area, she dusts her house once a week (and yes even canned air to the electronics).  Repair tech knew instantly what part it was too, as apparently it's a common problem with that model of LG OLED.  The downside, the part costs almost as much as the T.V. (part was around 970 minimum + shipping, and then there's the labor for the tech).  So instead, that thing is heading to e-waste recycling and looking for a new t.v.  55 inch is preferred, and obviously she doesn't want to go backwards from the oled's picture quality.  Just want to find a brand/model that isn't going to die right after the warranty ends.

Disappointed since of course I went through several reviews and forum threads (including in here) before I made the purchase. Fairly sure there was even a wild Linus in a video about this one.  Only to have it die like that and find out that it's a common thing with that model (and that it also always seems to happen just outside of warranty according to this tech).... I'm not exactly keen on LG again.

Damn, that's rough.

First, I'm going to agree with @saintlouisbagels - you literally cannot tell how long a device will live based on reviews. LG TV's are generally a brand with a good reputation. They certainly don't have a reputation for dying anymore often than other brands.

They also make most OLED panels in other OLED TV's.

With that in mind, I have some questions:

1. Why did you get your mom an OLED? Does she particularly care about the quality?

2. What basic requirements do you have? Size? Panel type? Features?

I have a Sony A80J OLED (55") and I love it. I've had it less than a year (though it's coming up soon enough). I did buy mine with my Credit Card - most credit cards offer extended warranties on most electronics purchases automatically. You should check to see if that might be the case with your TV purchase.

In terms of other OLED's, LG C2 or A2 would be good choices, as would the Sony A80J (or any other current gen Sony OLED TV).

Samsung has their new QD-OLED TV - this one features the new Quantum Dot OLED tech, which combines OLED with a Quantum Dot filter in some way to make it even better than regular OLED's - but it's new tech, so expect early adopter issues with it. I'd personally avoid it for now, especially with your previous experience.

Honestly, going with another LG, or a Sony are among your best options.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

thanks folks, ya i pointed her towards Sony (she's refusing LG currently just because of this experience). And the 2 years, was the extended warranty. The base warranty was only a year. As for why the OLED? Picture quality was all. I have an oled monitor from LG personally, and wanted to upgrade her over 10 year old LCD flatscreen she was still using. She mostly just wanted something so she could actually connect it to the wifi to stream, as her old one ... well, was old, couldn't find newer routers with whatever network adapter it had built in. Now she's addicted to the picture quality 😛

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2023 at 6:13 PM, dalekphalm said:

I'd personally avoid it for now, especially with your previous experience.

Im pretty sure RTINGS.com proved they were more prone to burn in as well, compared to LG's standard OLED screens. So Im with you, id avoid them. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.