USB Over current detected after hardware upgrade. MSI B650-P pro

damnpedrek

Hey,

I installed all the new components with suprisingly no issues at all. I had no power plugged in at any time.

On start theres just text saying: Over Current have been detected on USB, system will shutdown in 15 secs to save your motherboard" or something like that

I/O shield iron part was in the ethernet port so i removed MOBO and bent the iron part a little back, fine i guess?

Put it back and same with usb port, the iron part was inside the port. This time i was lazy and didn't want to remove MOBO.

So I bent the IO shield a little bit back with a tiny screw driver until the iron part was out and bent it back with a 2nd tiny screwdriver. No visual defects on the usb port because I worked very careful, and no power was connected. It was not the "flash bios" port.

Heres where I first plugged in power and started because everything looked fine.

All USB headers on motherboard are disconnected, and they look completely fine. Only cpu, gpu and m.2 connected

I removed I/O Shield and put the pc on the table without hdds and pc-case.

I tried the old PSU.

I tried reset CMOS

I tried removing CMOS and booting

I tried different GPU bcs why not

I cant see any burns or visible damage that might lead to a bad short circuit.

Here is a picture of the USB Port I might have damaged.

WhatsAppImage2023-06-05at14_41.52(1).jpeg.ce937698c04a17944fbe073e23847bb5.jpegWhatsAppImage2023-06-05at14_41_52.jpeg.d7c91de5668f6c0132de6d1d51bc7222.jpeg

I think i've heard somewhere that MSI might have BIOS problems regarding this problem.

Do you have any idea where I could find the problem?

Should I flash the bios in the 15 seconds?

Thanks for your time

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have the same problem with the same motherboard. Did u fix this problem, how?

I've unplugged all the USB devices on the motherboard, but it doesn't work

• 2 weeks later...

Seems I'm encountering the same issues. New build, while building I took care of the IO shield so it wouldn't contact any of the ports and during first boot I got the usb over voltage warning. Nothing is touching and all internal headers are disconnected.

• 3 weeks later...

any updates im having the same issue. did u get a new mobo?

Hi guys,

I today buy this motherboard and i am facing same issue. I tryied connect ad diconnect everything.

Minimal setup

Motherboard + ryzen cpu and one RAM stick (tryied in every slot)

No device in USB

Issue still appering

• 3 weeks later...

I returned the MB, it seemed to be a problem that a lot of people had and I couldn't be bothered by finding a solution.