7800x3d + Dark Rock 4 temps and PC shut downs

Maxmolly

Hey all,

I built my PC about 3 weeks ago and since then it has completely shut down 5 times while gaming. Twice while playing New World, once while downloading TLoU shaders, and twice while playing Microsoft Flight Simulator. Yesterday, I turned off CPU Game Boost, updated chipset drivers through AMD Adrenaline, and did small things with fans like setting the CPU fan to PWM and not just auto. I believe all of these things have helped, but I am still concerned with my temps and wanted to know if they are legit concerns or if I shouldn’t worry.

From boot up, my CPU (Tctl/Tdie) average temp is 57.5 and CPU Die (average) is 51.3 (Side note: I’ve been mostly referencing Tctl/Tdie, should I continue using that reading or should I be only concerned with the CPU Die reading?)

While gaming something like TLoU I’m in between 70- low to mid 80s Tctl/Tdie and getting up to 87 or 88. I’m assuming the shutoffs were from hitting the 7800x3d 89 degree peak and since making those changes I’ve been good but I haven’t stress tested the machine quite like before, yet. I guess my question is, is high temp gaming safe for the 7800x3d? It’s scary looking over while gaming and seeing my temps so close to that 89 mark, even hitting the 88s before. I only applied a pea size of thermal paste and I’ve thought about maybe adding more / checking on the spread? Would y’all be worried in my case at all? Other intensive games like Warzone are running in 65-85 range. This is with the Dark Rock 4 (not Pro). Thanks for any help you all can provide.

Part list is here : https://pcpartpicker.com/user/tylerkillzya/saved/ZNG2kL

Its no idea, but AMD CPU boosts as high as thermals and power let it.  Mine often get into the 80's with plenty of cooling under a heavy load.  Its at 59 right now as I post, and I need to get a better cooler.  I went with one I knew would fit in my min-ITX case, and then found out I could cram a much bigger cooler.  Now I have a 5800x non-3d, so it will boost higher than your chip.

Also have you seen the Nocuia video from Computex?