PC RESTARTS RANDOMLY

dyl35

Custom PC restarts after playing a game and sometimes will restart to windows but sometimes just will stay on but screens turn off and it takes a long time to restart. I've upgraded every piece in the last year to try and fix the problem and when going from a 3080 to 3090ti the problem was almost fully gone and then months later it came back. I then upgraded ram and that was the last piece that wasn't new and it probably only happens around once or twice a week during Valorant for around 3-5 hrs every other day. Now playing Diablo IV the PC will restart every play thru. I did the same dungeon 3 times for it to restart before the end. I don't know what else to do. Motherboard doesn't give me an error code, just stays at AO. No onscreen errors. Nothing.

1 minute ago, dyl35 said:

Custom PC restarts after playing a game and sometimes will restart to windows but sometimes just will stay on but screens turn off and it takes a long time to restart. I've upgraded every piece in the last year to try and fix the problem and when going from a 3080 to 3090ti the problem was almost fully gone and then months later it came back. I then upgraded ram and that was the last piece that wasn't new and it probably only happens around once or twice a week during Valorant for around 3-5 hrs every other day. Now playing Diablo IV the PC will restart every play thru. I did the same dungeon 3 times for it to restart before the end. I don't know what else to do. Motherboard doesn't give me an error code, just stays at AO. No onscreen errors. Nothing.

What is your powersupply? Please provide your full system spec. Initially hypothesis is a power related issue, probably not enough power.

Full time technology enthusiast, part time IT.

I have a 1000W PSU bc I thought the same that it wasn't enough when I had 850 so I upgraded to be safe and that didn't change anything. Also, temps are all fine, nothing is too hot. I monitor it on second screen when playing games.

i9-11900K

3090ti EVGA

1000W Corsair PSU

2 sticks of 16gb RAM

4 SSDs, 2 at 500gb, 2 at 1Tb

Kraken CPU Cooler

7 minutes ago, dyl35 said:

Custom PC restarts after playing a game and sometimes will restart to windows but sometimes just will stay on but screens turn off and it takes a long time to restart. I've upgraded every piece in the last year to try and fix the problem and when going from a 3080 to 3090ti the problem was almost fully gone and then months later it came back. I then upgraded ram and that was the last piece that wasn't new and it probably only happens around once or twice a week during Valorant for around 3-5 hrs every other day. Now playing Diablo IV the PC will restart every play thru. I did the same dungeon 3 times for it to restart before the end. I don't know what else to do. Motherboard doesn't give me an error code, just stays at AO. No onscreen errors. Nothing.

Notice you made a new post, so I will answer it here.

For others replying, here is his list from the other post:

i9-11900K

3090ti EVGA

1000W Corsair PSU

2 sticks of 16gb RAM

4 SSDs, 2 at 500gb, 2 at 1Tb

Kraken CPU Cooler

Are your running XMP profile on your machine? Any overlock settings you have turned on?

I still suspect it being a power issue. Though now that I know you have a 1000w PSU, it may not be not enough power, but unstable power to some sensitive components during spiky load. It triggered the system to self protect for abnormal voltages.

the XMP profile is active, i'll turn that off for now. No other overclock settings are turned on anymore. They were for the 3080 before this but not now. I was thinking of getting a 1300W PSU to see if that will help.

4 minutes ago, dyl35 said:

the XMP profile is active, i'll turn that off for now. No other overclock settings are turned on anymore. They were for the 3080 before this but not now. I was thinking of getting a 1300W PSU to see if that will help.

Didn't see your motherboard listed, some motherboard have enhanced performance settings enabled by default. I will probably want to find those and turn it off as well. Then run it through some paces and see if you still crashes.

I suggest looking at power saving settings.

check that things like sleep are set to never 

disable fast boot and see if it helps.

Motherboard is Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Master

I ran Diablo again to test and it's running fine with XMP off but should I still opt to getting the 1300W PSU so I can turn on XMP and won't have this problem again?

update, played more and it just restarted again.

On 6/4/2023 at 9:25 PM, Pikatchu said:

Didn't see your motherboard listed, some motherboard have enhanced performance settings enabled by default. I will probably want to find those and turn it off as well. Then run it through some paces and see if you still crashes.

Just upgraded PSU to 1300W and it restarted again

On 6/5/2023 at 12:49 PM, dyl35 said:

Look at my threads, I have the same issue. I'm about to back everything up and perform a clean install of Windows 11 - I would consider doing that. Also you should post your specs. I believe the issue is replacing so much hardware and modifying the BIOS on an 'unclean' Windows installation - someone can rephrase that if they so please. If the fresh reinstall doesn't solve the issue (for either of us), then my bet is on the motherboard (might be PSU and can be memory). Have you performed memory tests in Windows? 

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Motherboard: ASUS TUF B450-PLUS-GAMING CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 ROG Strix EVA Edition 12GB OC Cooling: 3x Noctua NF-A14, 1x Corsair ML140 RGB Elite, 360mm EKWB EK-AIO RGB all-in-one cooler Monitors: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ (portrait 2560x1440) & ASUS ROG Strix XG349C (ultrawide 3440x1440) Peripherals: Logitech G915, G502, G733 OS: Windows 11 64-bit

33 minutes ago, GamerMoment said:

Look at my threads, I have the same issue. I'm about to back everything up and perform a clean install of Windows 11 - I would consider doing that. Also you should post your specs. I believe the issue is replacing so much hardware and modifying the BIOS on an 'unclean' Windows installation - someone can rephrase that if they so please. If the fresh reinstall doesn't solve the issue (for either of us), then my bet is on the motherboard (might be PSU and can be memory). Have you performed memory tests in Windows? 

memory tests were done and new memory was installed not too long. also a fresh windows install has been done before the last piece was installed. so new pieces, then new windows install, and then new ram and new PSU and it's still restarting.

7 minutes ago, dyl35 said:

memory tests were done and new memory was installed not too long. also a fresh windows install has been done before the last piece was installed. so new pieces, then new windows install, and then new ram and new PSU and it's still restarting.

Ah right, sorry if you already stated you freshly reinstalled Windows recently - didn't see that! Well, I hope a fresh reinstallation works for me, but it looks like you and I might be forking out for new motherboards lol. 

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Motherboard: ASUS TUF B450-PLUS-GAMING CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 ROG Strix EVA Edition 12GB OC Cooling: 3x Noctua NF-A14, 1x Corsair ML140 RGB Elite, 360mm EKWB EK-AIO RGB all-in-one cooler Monitors: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ (portrait 2560x1440) & ASUS ROG Strix XG349C (ultrawide 3440x1440) Peripherals: Logitech G915, G502, G733 OS: Windows 11 64-bit

44 minutes ago, GamerMoment said:

Ah right, sorry if you already stated you freshly reinstalled Windows recently - didn't see that! Well, I hope a fresh reinstallation works for me, but it looks like you and I might be forking out for new motherboards lol. 

let me know if your clean windows install works

On 6/8/2023 at 9:42 AM, dyl35 said:

let me know if your clean windows install works

reporting back as promised.

Performed clean windows reinstallation using the 'Cloud Reset' option at 3am on Saturday. PC remained powered on without issue until 2am the next morning when I shut it down. The PC has performed as intended for a whole weekend of Diablo IV, but it does have a habit (the 'problem', I mean) of working for weeks or even months and then rearing its head. My PC parts retailer only has one Aorus X470S Master left so hopefully I didn't need it after all (although the upgrade would be nice).

On 6/11/2023 at 4:50 PM, GamerMoment said:

reporting back as promised.

Performed clean windows reinstallation using the 'Cloud Reset' option at 3am on Saturday. PC remained powered on without issue until 2am the next morning when I shut it down. The PC has performed as intended for a whole weekend of Diablo IV, but it does have a habit (the 'problem', I mean) of working for weeks or even months and then rearing its head. My PC parts retailer only has one Aorus X470S Master left so hopefully I didn't need it after all (although the upgrade would be nice).

I switched out motherboards from a z490 to z590 and the problem hasn't occured since. it's been over a week now and it's working fine

On 6/20/2023 at 4:27 AM, dyl35 said:

I switched out motherboards from a z490 to z590 and the problem hasn't occured since. it's been over a week now and it's working fine

Oops I said 'X470S' lol obviously I meant X570. 

My PC did indeed continue having the issue I described, so my X570S Master is waiting to go in but I have also ordered a new power supply. I'm thinking I will replace the PSU first just to be scientific.