Nvidia Titan Z Review

That's what Quadro is for.

People need to stop trying to justify the 3k price because CUDA can be used for other intended purposes other than gaming.

Even Nvidia advertises as a gaming card.

bx0VAIE.png

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/announcing-the-geforce-gtx-titan-z

This card is overpriced and anyone in their damn right mind would be an idiot to purchase this brick and justify its 3k price for other "intended purposes".

I pointed this out in the thread announcing the damn card.

Its a typical GPU war circle jerk though, so it doesn't really matter. Fanboys will fanboy.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Nvidia doesn't care about "the market" aka consumers for this card.  They never expected to sell millions of Titan Zs.  Nvidia, like Samsung has a lot of cash and time on their hands so they can afford to release a whole whack of products (e.g. Samsung's 12 inch Note tablet for $800) just to fill niche gaps.  So their hubris didn't catch up to them, they know exactly what they are doing.

"The market" is NOT aka consumers, but the market covering potential costumers/consumers, whether they are professionals, semi pro's or consumers. The fact of the matter though, is that NVIDIA themselves market this card as a consumer gaming card. A card that costs twice as much as the closest competitor, that beats the Titan Z generally, is in my mind a sign of hubris. Especially counting the fact that 2x Titan Blacks are cheaper and higher performing at only 33% more space needed (+ 1 more pcie port). This card is a sum lesser than that of its parts, at a much higher price. No one can defend this product, at its price of 3.000$.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

"The market" is NOT aka consumers, but the market covering potential costumers/consumers, whether they are professionals, semi pro's or consumers. The fact of the matter though, is that NVIDIA themselves market this card as a consumer gaming card. A card that costs twice as much as the closest competitor, that beats the Titan Z generally, is in my mind a sign of hubris. Especially counting the fact that 2x Titan Blacks are cheaper and higher performing at only 33% more space needed (+ 1 more pcie port). This card is a sum lesser than that of its parts, at a much higher price. No one can defend this product, at its price of 3.000$.

Sorry you took my post way out of context.  You should reread it to ensure you fully understand what I am saying.

A) Never once did I defend the $3000 price tag.  I think that 3k is way too much for this card,

B )  I am not claiming it is or is not a gaming card, I am simply saying that Nvidia knows the card is overpriced and they don't care because they don't need to care.

C) As I said, they DO NOT care how many people buy this card and as you said, the price-to-performance doesn't make sense...I am quite confident that Nvidia has some pretty intelligent people working there that knows 3k is too much for this card to be of value to 99.8% of people.  But they also know that some people WILL buy this card because it fits their needs.  Furthermore they know that these people will pay whatever price for it.

D) This is a pretty "limited edition" card in that they probably aren't manufacturing many of them therefore the cost per card will be slightly higher.

TL;DR: Nvidia knows full well what they are doing with the Titan Z and the 790 (or equivalent) will be released at some point in the near future with a price and performance similar to that of the R295 for those who want a dual gpu Nvidia card for gaming.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Precisely what I want for a 790.

GTX580-Liquid-a.jpg

And that is precisely what i do not want for a proposed 790.

As for labelists of (smart gamers who never go for dual graphics cards for gaming) what monitor setups do you run?

Core - EVGA Classified 3 | i7 980x | 12GB Corsair Dominator GT | Lian Li P80 | Corsair 128 Neutron GTX | 2 x WD 500gb Velociraptor | Asus Xonar Xense | 2 x EVGA 590 | Enermax Platimax 1500

Water Cooling - Alphacool NexXxos 360 Monsta | TFC 360 | Alphacool D5 Vario | Alphacool 250 Tube res | EK Supreme HF Nickle Plexi | 2 x EK Nickle Plexi 590 WB | Aquaero 5 XT

And that is precisely what i do not want for a proposed 790.

As for labelists of (smart gamers who never go for dual graphics cards for gaming) what monitor setups do you run?

To each it's own, I want good temps without going 3 slots.

To each it's own, I want good temps without going 3 slots.

I'd agree with that, as for me having those hoses positioned within the case makes it (from my perspective) clumsy.

Core - EVGA Classified 3 | i7 980x | 12GB Corsair Dominator GT | Lian Li P80 | Corsair 128 Neutron GTX | 2 x WD 500gb Velociraptor | Asus Xonar Xense | 2 x EVGA 590 | Enermax Platimax 1500

Water Cooling - Alphacool NexXxos 360 Monsta | TFC 360 | Alphacool D5 Vario | Alphacool 250 Tube res | EK Supreme HF Nickle Plexi | 2 x EK Nickle Plexi 590 WB | Aquaero 5 XT

I'd agree with that, as for me having those hoses positioned within the case makes it (from my perspective) clumsy.

I admit that depending on the case it can be a pain in the *** thou.

Not even a 790?

1377753756033.gif

Well the 790 is going to be a powerful gaming card.  Those spouting Nvidia's doom and gloom because the Titan Z is a "failure" and that "AMD is the best and is crushing Nvidia" will be shown up.  Having said that, I don't see how a dual gpu card is a good value for the vast majority of gamers.  Flagship single gpu cards are powerful enough.

perhaps i'm missing something, but there is only a Titan-z. I haven't heard anything about a 790, because if I did i'd be giddy.

perhaps i'm missing something, but there is only a Titan-z. I haven't heard anything about a 790, because if I did i'd be giddy.

Nah you're not missing anything... we're just fantasy-talking about a 790 lol There's not even a single rumor about it, at least that I know of.

We haven't seen too many details leaked on the 790 so there is no guarantee that the product will be released, but Nvidia needs a dual gpu card to match the 295.

We haven't seen too many details leaked on the 790 so there is no guarantee that the product will be released, but Nvidia needs a dual gpu card to match the 295.

I wish nvidia would wise up, and have a dual gpu, dual or tri-fan card. they wouldn't have to make it excessively bigger, and it could still be under 290mm (meaning could be used in M-Itx rigs). The dual fans would provide better cooling which would allow them to use higher clocks and all.

Here comes the "that ain't a gaming card" posts...

That's what Quadro is for.

People need to stop trying to justify the 3k price because CUDA can be used for other intended purposes other than gaming.

Even Nvidia advertises as a gaming card.

bx0VAIE.png

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/announcing-the-geforce-gtx-titan-z

This card is overpriced and anyone in their damn right mind would be an idiot to purchase this brick and justify its 3k price for other "intended purposes".

lol doesn't matter, people will call it a "professional" card anyways.

Did you guys even watch GTC. When it was unvailed, they specifically said it was for cuda development, but if gamers want to buy it they can. If it was a gaming card, it would have nutered DP performance, but it doesn't. This card wrecks everything in DP workloads. It's pretty obvious what it's designed for.

To get a really good comparison someone needs to put waterblocks on the 295x2 and Titan Z, OC both, and benchmark.

You just make the Titan-Z cost $4999 now.  

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

You just make the Titan-Z cost $4999 now.  

Not to mention eating up that 60w gain that the Z had on the 295x2 too for the pumps and fans.

Plus youre still comparing 2 different solutions, price v price you can get 2x 295x2 for 1 titan z without a waterblock...

This is an apples and oranges comparison and everyone trying to even remotely put them on even ground isnt paying attention to all the factors involved in the cards. The only thing they have in common is that they are both the most expensive "consumer" grade card from the two largest companies.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Did you guys even watch GTC. When it was unvailed, they specifically said it was for cuda development, but if gamers want to buy it they can. If it was a gaming card, it would have nutered DP performance, but it doesn't. This card wrecks everything in DP workloads. It's pretty obvious what it's designed for.

Which is for professionals of course, that's exactly how they're marketing the card in their official page right? It says clearly cuda devel- oh wait nope. :rolleyes:

I know it's all marketing BS anyways... don't know why some people defend this card so much, even when Nvidia it's delaying it after the release of the 295x2 which is a gaming card. Is interesting how Nvidia delay a "professional cuda development" card just after AMD released a gaming card.

It it was $2,000 and 2 slot, it would have been another story... 

This is an apples and oranges comparison and everyone trying to even remotely put them on even ground isnt paying attention to all the factors involved in the cards. The only thing they have in common is that they are both the most expensive "consumer" grade card from the two largest companies.

I completely disagree with that point. These are both dual gpu gaming cards. They are almost equal in strength, but one costs half as much and is slightly stronger. I don't understand how that is apple and oranges. Could you please elaborate on the factors you mention?

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

The Titan Z, a worthless piece of crap. 

PC Build

AMD FX 4130@3.8GHz | Sapphire Radeon HD R9 290@947 MHz | 8GB of DDR3 1333MHz RAM | 500GB Seagate HDD | [broken] Cooler Master i600 PSU | Some LG Disk Drive that costed me $20|

I completely disagree with that point. These are both dual gpu gaming cards. They are almost equal in strength, but one costs half as much and is slightly stronger. I don't understand how that is apple and oranges. Could you please elaborate on the factors you mention?

One is 1500, one is 3000. One is AIO cooled, one is air cooled. One is double percision, one isnt. One has mantle support, one doesnt. One has better OpenGL support, one has better Cuda support. Different ram amounts, different mining performance, and a lot of other different statistics i could pull out about them.

Yes they are both graphics cards, yes you can play games with them, but the real reasons that most people are going to be buying these cards are entirely different. Its entirely based on what software (Non-Gaming) you will be running to use said card. Unless youre just batshitcrazy and actually intend to buy one of these cards to play video games only. In which case no review or user comment is going to disuade you from your crazy urge to blow money away.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

One is 1500, one is 3000. One is AIO cooled, one is air cooled. One is double percision, one isnt. One has mantle support, one doesnt. One has better OpenGL support, one has better Cuda support. Different ram amounts, different mining performance, and a lot of other different statistics i could pull out about them.

Yes they are both graphics cards, yes you can play games with them, but the real reasons that most people are going to be buying these cards are entirely different. Its entirely based on what software (Non-Gaming) you will be running to use said card. Unless youre just batshitcrazy and actually intend to buy one of these cards to play video games only. In which case no review or user comment is going to disuade you from your crazy urge to blow money away.

Both cards are designed and marketed for gaming, not mining or gpgpu. By your definition, you would never be able to compare a 290x and a 780, because one has mantle, one does not, etc. You cannot be serious? Maybe you need a certain feature set, so that will make your choice, but that is the same, when you need to chose between a 290x or 780.

The price difference is the prime point of why NOT to buy the Titan Z. EVEN if you want PhysX or CUDA, dual Titan Blacks are still better performing and cheaper. There is a reason why the Titan Z has been postponed. It's underperforming and extremely overpriced, not just compared to the competition, but also NVIDIAs own alternatives.

Both cards are designed and marketed for gaming, not mining or gpgpu. By your definition, you would never be able to compare a 290x and a 780, because one has mantle, one does not, etc. You cannot be serious? Maybe you need a certain feature set, so that will make your choice, but that is the same, when you need to chose between a 290x or 780.

The price difference is the prime point of why NOT to buy the Titan Z. EVEN if you want PhysX or CUDA, dual Titan Blacks are still better performing and cheaper. There is a reason why the Titan Z has been postponed. It's underperforming and extremely overpriced, not just compared to the competition, but also NVIDIAs own alternatives.

You really don't get it do you.

/sigh.  What a disappointment.

I just wish I could play modern titles at 1600p at 60fps without having to spend over £2000 on graphics cards without turning everything down.

I tried out Daylight to see how the new Unreal 4 engine is.  It looks "okay", but runs like a dead dog.

I'm finding we're at an awkward stage of being sold on the prospect of 4K years ahead of physically having the horsepower for it.  Even 1440p is a stretch for the grandest of nvidia or amd's offerings, which is pretty pathetic seeing as devs and hardware manufacturers have stressed for years about the benefits of hitting that 60fps target.  Now they're harping on about 4K and lets just forget about the fact that nothing runs smoothly at that scale, or even at smaller resolutions.

So sure sell us a RoG Swift but at least make is possible to run the game at 1440p at 120Hz on Ultra  You know, the whole reason for buying RoG gear in the first place.  It's stupid that even with the very best gear money can buy you can't hit 60fps in some of these resolutions.  It's not the fault of the devs or the hardware but on the marketing and PR.

I'm fear Maxwell won't provide the much needed upgrade for this now.

Hmm? My 780ti Which was £499 runs everything at 1440p Ultra just fine over 60fps, I get 70-80 in BF4 with 4xMSAA, HBAO and 110% resolution scaling, It handles every game I own and have played at 1440p just fine and dandy.

4k no but 1440p is really easy to do

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii